Public Computer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Andreas,

I just sat down at a computer terminal at a Publicly Available Computer & went to sign in to the Leica Forum here.

I "clicked" the "Sign In" box from this Forum into place & the "Sign In Box" already had my name in it.

Given that this is a Publicly Available Computer Terminal that any passing person might sit at & access the Leica Forum:

How did this Public Computer, or the Leica Forum, know that it was me sitting there?

It should be noted that BEFORE I accessed the Leica Forum I cleared out a bunch of stuff from a, or a number of, user(s) who had used this Public Computer before I arrived.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Hello Gibbo,

I sat down at the Public Computer that I am writing at now.

I cleared out the previous things from some number of people who had used this computer before me.

I wrote "Leica Forum" on the screen & "clicked" as usual.

This brought up the usual Front Page of the Leica Forum.

And then I "clicked" the "sign in " Box.

The box "popped" up as usual & there sitting in the box was my name.

Curious.

Best Regards,

Michael

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It seems that you have visited the forum from this particular computer before and that you were the last person to do so.

The browser remembers values entered in particular fields on each page it loads.

Hello Philipp,

Thank you for your reply.

I have used this specific Public Computer before.

When I started to use this specific computer today there had been some number of people who had used it before me.

I know this because I deleted a lot of material from some number of people who had used it before I arrived today.

My question is:

Given that there were some number of people who used this computer since I last used it which we know because there was a lot of material UNRELATED to me that I deleted before beginning to use the computer:

And given that after I deleted the previous material this computer wrote back to me that ALL previous entries had been deleted going back "forever".

How did the Computer, or the Leica Forum, know it was me writing here when I simply wrote in "Leica Forum" on a blank screen & "clicked"?

And then "clicked" the "sign in" Icon on the Leica Forum front page?

After which my name was right there on the screen where it should be in the "Sign In" box.

I wonder if this ever happened to anyone else on this Forum?

Best Regards,

Michael

The computer will have stored cookies from the last time you used it.

Hello Andy,

Thank you for your answer.

I did clear out the system before use & there were some number of people who had used that specific machine before I started using it.

This never happened before & the circumstances are the same as they were before.

I stopped using the computer in question around 1 hour ago.

I returned to the same "Public Computer" SPOT but I am currently using a different machine which is utilizing the same system.

When I logged back on, doing everything the same as I wrote above:

My Name DID NOT appear in the name box.

As it did when I wrote above describing what happened.

Curious.

Thank you everyone for your help. It is appreciated.

It would be interesting to know if this has happened with anyone else before?

Or if this is happening to anyone else just now?

Best Regards,

Michael

How did the Computer, or the Leica Forum, know it was me writing here when I simply wrote in "Leica Forum" on a blank screen & "clicked"?

And then "clicked" the "sign in" Icon on the Leica Forum front page?

After which my name was right there on the screen where it should be in the "Sign In" box.

I wonder if this ever happened to anyone else on this Forum?

Best Regards,

Michael

I would suggest two possibilities.

Firstly, that the previous time you logged in on that specific computer you did not log out. So when you 'revisited' the forum, the cookies indicated that the previous visit was not logged out from, so selecting the forum is effectively doing so as an extension of the last visit. Usually sites log you out after a period (some after only a few hours) but the Leica forum obviously doesn't. So next time you visit ensure that you log out.

Alternatively, the computer may be storing your log in details and it may well apply them at any revisit to the forum by default. So you need to ensure that these are not stored on the PC and automatically applied (I don't use a PC so I don't know how to stop this but someone here will).

I would suggest two possibilities.

Firstly, that the previous time you logged in on that specific computer you did not log out. So when you 'revisited' the forum, the cookies indicated that the previous visit was not logged out from, so selecting the forum is effectively doing so as an extension of the last visit. Usually sites log you out after a period (some after only a few hours) but the Leica forum obviously doesn't. So next time you visit ensure that you log out.

Alternatively, the computer may be storing your log in details and it may well apply them at any revisit to the forum by default. So you need to ensure that these are not stored on the PC and automatically applied (I don't use a PC so I don't know how to stop this but someone here will).

Hello Paul,

Thank you for your reply

I always log out carefully.

I also always clear the entire computer, after I log out, before I close the computer.

I also always clear the computer after turning it on before I do anything.

That means that there was 1 log out & 2 complete clearings along with other people using the same computer before I wrote "Leica Forum" & before I "clicked" the "Log In" Icon.

Best Regards,

Michael

I believe that I have been able to reproduce the problem on my computer with one of the browsers.

Firefox (51.0.1) behaves properly. When you Sign Out before you close the browser, you will be signed out when you restart the browser and return to the forum.

Opera (41.0), OTOH, does not behave properly. When you Sign Out, close the browser, restart the browser and return to the forum, you will be signed in. So will anyone who uses the same browser on the same computer and returns to the forum. 

Since Opera uses the same innards as Chrome, I would suspect that Chrome has the same problem. I don't think there's anything the forum can do to prevent this error from happening.

• Like 3

I now have installed the latest version of the Opera browser (43.0) and the problem seems to be gone. If I now Sign Out before closing the browser, I remain signed out after restarting the browser.

Michael, I think you should contact the staff of the site which runs those publicly available computers and ask them to install a more recent version of the browser. You also might want to demonstrate the error to someone of the staff. 

• Like 1