Leica Q - the image thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...from this Sunday's hike with my Q (Type 116)...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

- pls click on light box for full resolution - 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Used the Q in the Aquarium.. Wish I could get to experience encounters like this out in the real world...

(the Jellyfish in the first image was glowing so insanely brightly, that the Sensor clipped it's "core", at -2/3 Exp correction and only iso 640...)

• Like 7

Here's a few more. Edited  Silver EFX. (saving up for Q2M, Silver EFX does it for now)

• Like 5

Herbert -

Welcome to the forum.

I strongly urge you to post images directly here rather than through a link - Too frequently a link fails, plus actually having the image on the forum will attract more views and comments since many of us will not click through. 

At the bottom of the screen on your next thread you'll find two ways to post directly:  One is drag and drop near the bottom of the window, and the other is to click on choose files.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 9/20/2021 at 12:29 PM, stuny said:

Herbert -

Welcome to the forum.

I strongly urge you to post images directly here rather than through a link - Too frequently a link fails, plus actually having the image on the forum will attract more views and comments since many of us will not click through. 

At the bottom of the screen on your next thread you'll find two ways to post directly:  One is drag and drop near the bottom of the window, and the other is to click on choose files.

In my experience, something strange happens with files uploaded to the forum directly. This is a pano I took in Cape Town (right after sunset) uploaded to the Forum directly:

And this is the same file uploaded to a free photo sharing service (that I've been using for 12 years now, without a single problem)

For some reason, the upload to the Forum software gets desaturated on my screen.. Don't know if it's just me.

• Like 6

other example, where the effect is more pronounced.. Forum upload:

Upload to my usual service:

Is it possible that the Forum upload disregards the embedded profile? (which would be shameful for a photography forum)

• Like 5

Interesting. Nice captures BTW and what a privileged view 😎 
Possibly a difference in the bridge software... before it gets to sRGB (16bit/8bit)?
The effect is easier to diagnose with the first pair as it is more subtle.
Importing into C1 and looking at the Curves (below)...

...clearly the deepest blacks have either been filtered or limited and ditto that brightest peak. 
Which did you mean to output?
Which was limited or which was oversaturated? 
By what mechanism?

Yellow pair more awkward to diagnose as over-saturation is also included in mid-range.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, piran said:

Interesting. Nice captures BTW and what a privileged view 😎 
Possibly a difference in the bridge software... before it gets to sRGB (16bit/8bit)?
The effect is easier to diagnose with the first pair as it is more subtle.
Importing into C1 and looking at the Curves (below)...

...clearly the deepest blacks have either been filtered or limited and ditto that brightest peak. 
Which did you mean to output?
Which was limited or which was oversaturated? 
By what mechanism?

Yellow pair more awkward to diagnose as over-saturation is also included in mid-range.

The one that got castrated is not what I had on my screen when I exported from Lightroom. (I didn't notice any oversaturation in the sunrise shot, either.. maybe this happened when going from Adobe RGB to sRGB on export? Or I'm just not sensitive to oversaturation?)

It seems as if the Forum Software compresses the images you upload here by reducing dynamic range and saturation.  (the sunrise shot looks disgusting on my screen.. with a weird greenish tint and washed out and all..)

I upload my images to www.abload.de usually; because there I don't ever notice any compression happening. The images look exactly the way they do in Lightroom.

I didn't change anything in the jpg file, just uploaded it to the Forum using the embedded tool, and uploaded that same file to the image hosting website.

So, clearly, the Forum software is NOT the best solution to upload images.

P.S.: This was an AirBnB we stayed at for 5 days. It was one of the most expensive places in Cape Town (100 bucks a night for the studio with Pool deck and everything), but still cheaper than staying at a 3-star Hotel in Switzerland. So we decided we'd treat ourselves to this insane view. (And it was totally worth it :D )

4 minutes ago, mbphotox said:

The one that got castrated is not what I had on my screen when I exported from Lightroom. (I didn't notice any oversaturation in the sunrise shot, either.. maybe this happened when going from Adobe RGB to sRGB on export? Or I'm just not sensitive to oversaturation?)

It seems as if the Forum Software compresses the images you upload here by reducing dynamic range and saturation.  (the sunrise shot looks disgusting on my screen.. with a weird greenish tint and washed out and all..)

I upload my images to www.abload.de usually; because there I don't ever notice any compression happening. The images look exactly the way they do in Lightroom.

I didn't change anything in the jpg file, just uploaded it to the Forum using the embedded tool, and uploaded that same file to the image hosting website.

So, clearly, the Forum software is NOT the best solution to upload images.

P.S.: This was an AirBnB we stayed at for 5 days. It was one of the most expensive places in Cape Town (100 bucks a night for the studio with Pool deck and everything), but still cheaper than staying at a 3-star Hotel in Switzerland. So we decided we'd treat ourselves to this insane view. (And it was totally worth it :D )

I have don't use Adobe. I cannot comment on how LR outputs to the forum.
Your images are shown in C1 with embedded tagging of 'sRGB IEC61966-2.1'
and they display much as you have described. 

The differences mixing and mismatching sRGB and AdobeRGB can certainly produce anaemic results ...or slightly overblown results - depending on which way and on what platforms. The internet is pretty much 8bit sRGB is what should be the normal assumption. Cameras and editing (at non-point-and-shoot levels) are 16bit AdobeRGB. Then there are the associated sticky issues of platform (PC MAC), screen gamma, HDR... the list seems endless:-/

@mbphotox I looked at your recent jellyfish image in C1 and the Curves panel showed no level crippling or bandwidth limiting.
So the forum software did not mistreat your aquarium images in the way you think it did with your Cape Town sunsets.
Ergo something else happened. Perhaps you (or LR) used 'already clobbered' images to feed the Leica forum's uploader?

P.S. I chose the jellyfish as it had saturated reds and deep blacks  ...stuff 'missing' from the Cape Town images.

Edited by piran
typos/eyesight :-|

Thanks, but that's not proving anything, since I've always used abload for any upload!

The Jellyfish was uploaded using Abload too.

Here's a direct comparison:

Forum Software

ABLOAD:

Well.. I don't think we even need to look at the curves here..

I always export my Images as sRGB in Lightroom, not Adobe RGB... so there's definitely something wrong with the Forum Software.

This was recently discussed in another thread, possibly in a different sub forum.  Ahh... here it is

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/324409-saturation-loss-after-uploading/

tl;dr -- It's the forum/your browser or some combination thereof.   The person who started that thread found that when he uploaded via Firefox the issue was present.   When he uploaded using Chrome the issue went away.  But only when uploading to this site. 

4 minutes ago, marchyman said:

This was recently discussed in another thread, possibly in a different sub forum.  Ahh... here it is

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/324409-saturation-loss-after-uploading/

tl;dr -- It's the forum/your browser or some combination thereof.   The person who started that thread found that when he uploaded via Firefox the issue was present.   When he uploaded using Chrome the issue went away.  But only when uploading to this site. 

Thanks

Sounds like something I've experienced before.
I actually see this happen quite a lot. With Reddit, with Discord, etc. (when I insert Screenshots or copied images instead of actually uploading the file there - which has to have to do with the Colour Profile of my Monitor not being embedded in there, I guess?!)

I guess it has to do with color management of Firefox then.
But why on earth would Firefox influence how the Forum Software views the image? Is the embedded color profile being removed or something?

Because the files that I upload to the Forum Software DO have a colour profile embedded. (That's why they work using abload.de)

Edited by mbphotox

• Like 11

2 hours ago, mbphotox said:

Maybe a Moderator can move this discussion somewhere else, so we don't clog up the Picture thread. But there is clearly something wrong here...

Agreed, I won't be clogging up the thread any further other with this URL which shows very simply if anything is awry with the image tagging or showing thereof. 

jpeg from camera > transferred via app to iPhone > exported from photos

• Like 4