Leica M 10 or Leica SL

M10shooting

I've tried using the SL as a body for M lenses and really didn't like it.  Too big, too heavy and actually difficult in use with some lenses focusing past infinity and focusing feeling much slower with wide/medium FL lenses.

With the M10 + the new firmware I think you have the best of both worlds.  Range finder most of the time and EVF when it's useful.

If you can afford both - GET TWO M10s!

:)

• Like 5

Not to hijack the thread... I have an M10 and was thinking about a visioflex... but I've heard the current one isn't state of the art... before buying one I'd like to understand is that the kind of accessory Leica will probably get around to bringing up to date in due course, in which case if I'm not in a rush I should probably just use LV and wait for an updated EVF?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not to hijack the thread... I have an M10 and was thinking about a visioflex... but I've heard the current one isn't state of the art... before buying one I'd like to understand is that the kind of accessory Leica will probably get around to bringing up to date in due course, in which case if I'm not in a rush I should probably just use LV and wait for an updated EVF?

I read that about the visoflex in a review by Ashwin Rao (in the conclusion only) - everyone else raves about the current visoflex so I think he may be referring to the visoflex that works on the 240

I have both. The SL is a great technical camera that ensure I get sharp focus and with the SL zoom, quick AF. But it's not inspiring to use. It's big, bulky, and the zoom is huge. Not fun to carry around. The M10 is more fun, small, minds its own business hanging off my shoulder, the RF works well, the visoflex is sufficient to nail focus in difficult situations and extreme focal lengths, and takes equally great photos.

I liked the SL with M lenses. Except with zoom focus I would lose the composition while focussing. Not so with the Rangefinder.

I put the SL in a case and only use the M10 now. However, the M and lenses MUST be calibrated. Do not buy a pense without first checking that it's properly calibrated. I spent months with my M240 trying to calibrate everything but each lens was off in opposite directions. Sent it all back and now everything is tack

• Like 3

Well, I love the SL with R lenses and just recently with the 90-280 SL autofocus, stabilized zoom.  The M240 has been confined to 28-50 mm M lenses.  I tried using the VF-2 and some of the longer R lenses on my M240, but that really sucks.  I hope the VF020 is as good as or better than the VF-4 viewfinder that Olympus brought out after the model which Leica supports on the M240.  If it is, then the M10 will be really easy to use with more extreme wide angles as well.  So there are things that I like to do for which each (SL + M10) excels.  And having both is not grounds for divorce in our family.

scott

two completely different animals...and as pointed out very complimentary.

Both are excellent choices, but its really a personal decision that boils down to what features you need and personal preference. 

I wouldn't make the decision based on price...but on your needs, style and preferences.

Well I think it's quite simple (if you can't afford both).

If you're going to shoot with M lenses - then get the M10

If you want zoom lenses - then get the SL

These are their strengths 

As for the Visoflex - I think you'll have to wait a long time for an update - but remember, it's big and bright and not too contrasty, and has the same resolution as cameras like the A7r mark ii. You won't get an SL quality viewfinder on an M because it would be huge.

Ashwin is a great guy - and it's a great review, but it was written before the new firmware halved the blackout time on the Visoflex - it still exists, but there's very little shutter lag, so it's definitely good for single shot work (and surely if you want continuous shooting the SL is a better bet).

• Like 5

I also use both SL and M (M-D for me).

The SL is a 'working' camera: between the excellent zoom, it's use with R lenses, the ability to attach and use for long telephoto or macro, it's use for motion and video work, it's the "I need to get this project done and i cannot second guess it" camera.

I use the M-D for everything else that can be done with a 35 to 90 mm lens ... which amounts to about 70% of my photography.

Perfect complements.

Edited by ramarren

The SL is a non starter for me. Seems very versatile but it's native lenses as well as the body weight and size are not appealing to me. I'm sure the SL lenses are excellent but they are huge, which makes the overall system too cumbersome for me.

The M has more uniqueness to me, in that it's extremely compact and light, designed with compact and light lenses in mind, with excellent build quality. I'll put up with an external EVF to extend the system when I need to. I prefer this much more focused, simpler camera. If I was interested in the SL I would also be interested in a 5D Mk IV, D810, A7R Mk II etc.

• Like 1

The great thing about the current Leica lineup is that they make several models that cover different applications, needs and preferences.  I notice you said, "I've shot with the SL once, as great as a camera it is it's not a rangefinder which is why I love the M line."  Seems like you answered your own question.

If the decision is a coin toss I would certainly start with the M10.  This way you can purchase the next version of the SL when it enters the picture probably 18 to 24 months prior to the next major M release.  Since the SL will get the next generation sensors and perhaps even in-body stabilization with the next go around, I wouldn't purchase it now half way through its generation cycle if you are equally attracted to the M which has just commenced its latest generation. Of course, this strategy does assume that you are "willing" to end up with both... :)

Edited by Leicauser7