Being happy with what you have

TheBogart

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm very happy with what I have now ... SL and M-D, and lenses for both. 

The "problem" is that I have way WAY more than that, accreted over the past five years and some. So I'm going to use that accreted excess to help pay for a second M-D body and maybe another lens or two. If selling off the excess returns more money than that, the additional money will add to my travel fund so I can travel, visit friends, and do some photography. :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They made not so many M4-2 and I'm happy to have one. They din't made many of M-E as well. I'm happy to have one. Leica will make many M10, but I might update my M8 to MM1 (not so many of them were made) or to another M-E.

Some people are happy to have new, but not me. 

Lenses, I have one I'm happy with Summarit-M 35 2.5. Yes, one Leica lens among three M bodies. I have couple of FSU lenses as well, but it is 35 2.5 which makes me happy to shot with and to look at final prints. 

I wrote this and run to handle it :)

I'm very happy with what I have: M9 with Summicron 35, 50, 75. These far exceed my skill as a photographer...but I do enjoy reading these posts about what "camera or lens I should buy next". I think many are either much more capable then I, or else perhaps just chasing opto-mechanical Unicorns?

I have to respectfully disagree with this particular rationalization. I think you need a better one. At every level. :)

I have heard the idea "I am not good enough for that fancy camera" many many times. I feel the opposite is true. I am crappy photographer, therefore I need all the help I can afford. :)

I can't quite afford a M10, but I know damn well it would help me, over my M9. I could see better. My CV 21/4 would shoot better (per Nico)I could use the unheard of option of ISO 6400. My M9 cringes at 800. I could pull the trigger when needed over and over. I could use LV for UWA framing. My focus would be more accurate.

Would it help me? Hell yes. :)

But I could not even think of an M9 when they first came out. Mine cost 3500 in Jan 2014 LN with new sensor at that time, which was a huge stretch. It helped me alot, though many told me I should just work on my photography ;)

I do have a ridiculous number of lenses.

Could I live with F/2 on my M9? Are you kidding? It would kill my evening work. 35/1.2 has saved me. Actually M9 is the same price for me as M10, because I must have 75/1.4 to survive. ;) OK I did get by barely with Canon 85/1.5. At 50, I love my summicron, but at night? I can feel that horrible noise on my tongue. CV 50/1.1 or Sonnetar or Canon 50/1.2. I must have them :)

Edited by uhoh7

Surprised no one mentioned the financial COST for upgrading. The way I see it: I have a camera (M9P) that takes great pictures and wouldn't depreciate much further. Shall I upgrade to another camera that also take great pictures, but for €4000 more and will depreciate quickly over the next 4 years, or shall I save the €4000 for lenses or many other possibilities? 

Not the mention the uniqueness factor from the CCD. 

Edited by yeahyoung
  • Like 2

Hi, actually my first post here! An existent member suggested i join!

Anyway...

Bear with me...

Cameras are like people in a way... all the various cameras are unique, have their own strengths/weakness and features.

But take a big step back... and they're all quite generic too, they all take pictures

In a Holywood movie an alien being comes to earth and humanity teachs it to love, laugh and cry

I'd image that in real life an alien being could visit earth and say 'well humans are a muchness really, carbon based bipedal life forms with opposable thumbs'

Take a big enough step back, and cameras are all a muchness...

There seems to be many people who prefer the m9 over the 240, the 240 over the m9, and I doubt the m10 will be different in that respect. They'll be people with usage needs that make the m10 a no brainer (low light shooters, wide angle users)

But each individual will know if that's them or not!

So it's all about finding the camera (and human) that's right for you, and that's what I try and tell myself when I have GAS

(He says joining a Leica forum, yet not owning a Leica)

• Like 3

So I'm very happy with my film cameras: M7, R7 and Contax T3.  Same with my Monochrom v1 for which I have no desire to 'upgrade'.

I'm always happy upgrading my colour digital M cameras as I consider much of the gradual evolutionary progress worthwhile, albeit not cheap at net changeover cost of $3700 AUD (approx $2800 USD).

Now waiting for delivery of my M10.

• Like 1

ehehhehe. That's True. But we need to celebrate what we have. Without going after new gear. Maybe this post is to tell myself that i cured my GAS when i bought the Leica ME. Eheheh

Buying an M10 has little to do with GAS because it is a version that brings the M back on track of the true M-photography that was lost since the M240.

Edited by otto.f

I have to respectfully disagree with this particular rationalization. I think you need a better one. At every level. :)

I have heard the idea "I am not good enough for that fancy camera" many many times. I feel the opposite is true. I am crappy photographer, therefore I need all the help I can afford. :)

I can't quite afford a M10, but I know damn well it would help me, over my M9. I could see better. My CV 21/4 would shoot better (per Nico)I could use the unheard of option of ISO 6400. My M9 cringes at 800. I could pull the trigger when needed over and over. I could use LV for UWA framing. My focus would be more accurate.

Would it help me? Hell yes. :)

But I could not even think of an M9 when they first came out. Mine cost 3500 in Jan 2014 LN with new sensor at that time, which was a huge stretch. It helped me alot, though many told me I should just work on my photography ;)

I do have a ridiculous number of lenses.

Could I live with F/2 on my M9? Are you kidding? It would kill my evening work. 35/1.2 has saved me. Actually M9 is the same price for me as M10, because I must have 75/1.4 to survive. ;) OK I did get by barely with Canon 85/1.5. At 50, I love my summicron, but at night? I can feel that horrible noise on my tongue. CV 50/1.1 or Sonnetar or Canon 50/1.2. I must have them :)

...maybe if your crappy photographer you should not even be using any rangefinder Leica? Maybe a course in photography, lots ofmpractice, association with someone who knows what their doing, or using a Japanese point-n-shoot camera would be helpful...but I don't think buying an M10 or various spectacular and spectacularly priced Leica lens is the answer?...

• 1 month later...

I have a bag full of M lenses, 15mm, 28mm, 35mm, 4 50mm's, a 90mm and a 135mm.  To be honest 90% of the time the Summicron 50 is on my M9 and the best images seem to come through that lens.  I should be happy with that. But for some crazy reason i carry a bag with all that expensive glass and metal around.  Hmmm...  Why can't I just be happy?

Edited by JohnnySeven
  • Like 1

I have a bag full of M lenses, 15mm, 28mm, 35mm, 4 50mm's, a 90mm and a 135mm.  To be honest 90% of the time the Summicron 50 is on my M9 and the best images seem to come through that lens.  I should be happy with that. But for some crazy reason i carry a bag with all that expensive glass and metal around.  Hmmm...  Why can't I just be happy?

Here's an idea that you might dismiss as crazy: Don't carry more than one lens. If what you said in the original post is indeed true--about your best work being accomplished with one lens. When you spend lots of time with that lens, I bet your images will start to repeat themselves---if not in content, then in pattern/composition. At that point, pick another lens and repeat the experiment.

I've done this for years (literally). (Unless I KNOW that I'll need to complete the shoot in one session and I'll need the following focal lengths... .) FWIW, I'm a pretty happy person who fully uses the tools that I have, and I do not come home with sore shoulders and nagging doubts about the images that I could/should have made.

Just my 2-cents ...

TR

I'm sure Leica is happy that the M10 successfully fills the gap from the M9 and leaves the mistakes in those strange model numbers in between as errors.

Edited by pico

I'm happy with what I have. The M9 is a great camera in many respects, and I have a plethora of lenses to pair with it. But I'll be even happier when my M10 gets here, as I think it is a better camera than the M9 in almost every way. You can be happy with what you have while still wanting something more.

Here's an idea that you might dismiss as crazy: Don't carry more than one lens. If what you said in the original post is indeed true--about your best work being accomplished with one lens. When you spend lots of time with that lens, I bet your images will start to repeat themselves---if not in content, then in pattern/composition. At that point, pick another lens and repeat the experiment.

I've done this for years (literally). (Unless I KNOW that I'll need to complete the shoot in one session and I'll need the following focal lengths... .) FWIW, I'm a pretty happy person who fully uses the tools that I have, and I do not come home with sore shoulders and nagging doubts about the images that I could/should have made.

Just my 2-cents ...

TR

Truth be told, I need all those lenses for work. But when Im shooting on my own its just a 50mm.  I love that lens, and its so nice to not have a camera bag weighing life down. 

Edited by JohnnySeven

Just started my Leica M journey.

Bought a second hand M9 and an AD 35mm Asph 2.4 Summarit (new) a month ago.

I'm considering a 50mm lens for this summer.

I have been a Canon shooter until this point shooting with a bunch of red-rings, so the change has me trying out a lot of parameters I have never given any thought before...

Edited by Sub'erman