One solution to the Q's terrible lens cap: A custom designed, 3D-printed lens cap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I carry my Q in a bag and use a wrist strap.   For the times I need a lens cap on my Q I simply do this:

Same here ... I use a Domke camera bag and a wrist strap! No way do I want this camera swinging round my neck.

I'm aware I'm not being helpful to the OP and the cap he's trying to promote ... so I'll say no more, but its not for me thanks.

Edited by MickyW

Same here ... I use a Domke camera bag and a wrist strap! No way do I want this camera swinging round my neck.

I'm aware I'm not being helpful to the OP and the cap he's trying to promote ... so I'll say no more, but its not for me thanks.

All good- as many others have stated, they have no need for an improved lens cap because they either don't need one, their stock one works fine, or they have found other solutions, which is in all seriousness awesome for them.

I'm not claiming that everybody needs to get this lens cap, I just solved a problem I had with the Q, and am offering a solution to others that have experienced the same problem and that care enough to address it.  

• Like 1

In the spirit of continuous improvement, I spent most of yesterday experimenting with a new fabrication process using the finest resolution on the printer.

This makes for a much more visually appealing product than the one that I posted originally- the front of the lens cap now mirrors the texture of the main Q body almost exactly, and the facets on the cap body are much smoother in form. 

See the attached photos for reference. The first orders are being shipped today or tomorrow and I've asked those who purchased to post honest feedback to this thread (thanks to the folks who purchased).

lens-cap-3_zpsbqexuu1g.jpg

lens-cap-2_zpszu4mywy5.jpg

• Like 2

Honestly, I don't get the black tape over the logo thing...never did.   If criminals are casing would be tourists and or photogs for Leica gear, I'd say most know what they are looking for regardless of what or how you cover it up.

btw....it's pretty easy to see the Leica name protrude through the black tape above.

Sometimes i just use this from optech. It fits perfectly.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I stopped using a lens cap a few weeks after I bought the Q and haven't missed it. I do use a protective UV filter. Most of the time the Q sits in a comfortable bag. Easy to grab and shoot then put it back. It works well for me.

Me too, except I didn't stop using it, I never started. And no bag!  The lens hood is pretty good protection, and while not perfect, it's protecting the filter after all.

Still, if you want one, looks like a nice job in the first post.

As far elegance and style goes, the Q can take elegant and stylish photos with or without the tape!

Edited by stevieboy
  • Like 1

Never mind - if you have the sun protector on your camera like in you photo you do not need any more protection - and it looks cool !
If you take it off and you have one of the terrible lens caps like they delivered in the first year - write Leica - they send you a better one

But I use this camera now for a year in all sort of wild circumstances - forget the lens cap :-)

• Like 1

So I've received my 3D printed cap from IronLion and it works really, really well - certainly a lot more secure than the Leica original.  It looks a fair bit better in the flesh than the pictures on this thread and feels really secure.  Overall I'm very happy with it - cheers!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice work Iron Lion.

The liner of my Leica-supplied cap is starting to peel away, forcing me to rotate the cap as I put it onto the lens shade.  Hardly a stressful problem, merely a slight nuisance. 

What size OP/TECH cover have ya'll fit onto your Q?

This all seems like overkill to me. I started using the lens cap, but like everyone else I think, found the crappy liner felt to unglue, bunch up and generally fall out. Then the lens cap falls off, of course.

But - I love having a lens cap (even though I have a protective uv filter). This is because I dont even want dust on the outer element (filter) and I dont want to risk the sun burning in. So I did a really simple cheap fix: I built up a bit of masking tape inside the cap after removing all that worthless felt. I applied it in a few places around and trimmed so not visible when the cap is on (for aesthetics). Now, a few layers of masking tape provides an inner diameter that lets the cap sit snugly on the camera's lens hood using the original cap. Easy. I do think these other kluges look, ahem, "questionable" and very un-Leica. KISS (acronym)!

Edited by Orguy