M10 - Solid Green line

siraf72

There is a line right thru the middle of the image...look closely. Its hard to see because of the sodium vapor lights are casting the entire image green. Looks like a sensor issue. 

OP- can you reproduce this on all images? or is it limited to this location?

Not all images, but many and so far limited to ISO 3200 and 6400. It's appeared on images taken in a wide variety of circumstances and lighting. The line when it does appear, is always in the same place (which also suggests a sensor issue to me). 

• Like 1

This is unbelievable. The same or similar problem had been reported back in the M9, and Leica still has not managed to fix it (e.g., via automatic sensor mapping in software). 

Well, if it is a whole line, I would rather have a new sensor than to have that line mapped out. But indeed, it is strange they don't offer the ability to map out hot pixels from the camera menus - Olympus cameras hat that option more than 10 years ago. 

This weekend I noticed a very similar horizontal line on photos taken with my M262. For me it happens every time when I take a photo while the camera is still writing the previous photo to the buffer.

I doubt it has anything to do with the buffer, otherwise the majority of your images would be affected.

This is unbelievable. The same or similar problem had been reported back in the M9, and Leica still has not managed to fix it (e.g., via automatic sensor mapping in software). 

lets not make this bigger than it is...and sensor mapping is not the best solution. If the sensor has an issue, you would want it replaced. Shit happens and sensor can have faults...whats important is not that it happens but how quickly Leica resolves it.

Edited by digitalfx

Not sure what you are referring to but there was the green stripe issue with the M8 that only very rarely did show up with the M9. This was caused by bright light sources just outside the image area.

This, on the other hand, is in all likelihood a case of a faulty sensor that should be replaced under warranty.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Leica Germany should be able to send you a software fix for this in the form of a custom firmware update within 1-2 working days, I also had an issue which looked exactly the same as this and they were very quick to respond with a fix (Leica UK on the other hand were extremely unhelpful) 

Send a short email to Leica Wetzlar customer service directly at cs@leica-camera.com describing the symptoms (ISO, shutter speed, frequency of fault etc) along with an unprocessed DNG featuring the line fault. Also be sure to mention your camera serial number, your own details, etc. 

If the fault is a minor one like mine the engineers at Leica Wetzlar will review the image and hopefully email you back custom firmware for your camera. Once installed this will remap your sensor, fixing the issue without the camera leaving your possession.

Most camera sensors have a few dead pixels from new but these issues are mapped out before leaving the factory or the camera features some degree of auto remapping in it's firmware. Leica seem to have a different approach. 

Hope that helps. 

Edited by HubertusBigend
  • Like 6

UPDATE:  Leica Dubai asked me to up install the new firmware and see if the problem persists. They suggested it may be a software problem rather than a sensor problem. I installed the firmware update the day it was released, and so far the problem has not reappeared. 

Edited by siraf72
  • Like 3

UPDATE:  Leica Dubai asked me to up install the new firmware and see if the problem persists. They suggested it may be a software problem rather than a sensor problem. I installed the firmware update the day it was released, and so far the problem has not reappeared. 

which version?

1.3.4.0 or a later version?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...