Problems with the Leica M10 half-case

vikasmg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem with the protective flap, the bottom of which is inserted between the case and the camera base.  If you insert the bottom section of the flap, the screw isn't long enough to catch the threads in the socket.  If you remove the flap and insert the substitute spacer it works fine.  The substitute space is just that little bit thinner.  

I was speculating about slicing and cutting off half the base flap to reduce it's thickness and wondered whether anyone else had tried this!

- Vikas

I ordered the new Arte Di Mano case, it allows use of the M10 sans bottom plate. This way you can change cards and batteries without removing the case. More expensive than the Leica but seems to be bigly easier to use. Now I need a M10.

• Like 2

I understand the problem with monitor flap. I had to push crazy hard to get the screw to catch. No problem with using the felt pad though. And no, we're not using the felt AND the flap. The leather for the flap is too thick

On my unit the bottom of the flap is quite thin. All the threads on the screw are proud of the bottom of the flap when installed. Measured at 0.1875"

The felt is a shim if you're not using the flap or else the case sits too high and blocks the down arrow.

My flap was thick enough to make it a struggle to screw in. One day I noticed the plastic thread to hold the screw were completely stripped and the screw would just fall out of the hole. I suspect it was from the pressure to screw in. I was give a new replacement but it's the same problem. I don't use the flap anyways

I guess our cows are fatter in Canada.

• Like 1

My case has the flap and a felt shim. You can't use both at the same time. Make sure the felt shim is removed before the flap base is installed.

Funny, I have a case but no M10 to put in it! Waiting...

Yes I'm doing it without he shim! Hope you get your M10 soon!

I ordered the new Arte Di Mano case, it allows use of the M10 sans bottom plate. This way you can change cards and batteries without removing the case. More expensive than the Leica but seems to be bigly easier to use. Now I need a M10.

I wondered about that one but felt unsure about dispensing with the bottom plate!

I understand the problem with monitor flap. I had to push crazy hard to get the screw to catch. No problem with using the felt pad though. And no, we're not using the felt AND the flap. The leather for the flap is too thick

I'll try again. Else, maybe a bit of sanding on the inside will help...

Thanks.

On my unit the bottom of the flap is quite thin. All the threads on the screw are proud of the bottom of the flap when installed. Measured at 0.1875"

Yes the threads soon to project out comfortably but the screw won't catch in the socket :-(

The felt is a shim if you're not using the flap or else the case sits too high and blocks the down arrow.

My flap was thick enough to make it a struggle to screw in. One day I noticed the plastic thread to hold the screw were completely stripped and the screw would just fall out of the hole. I suspect it was from the pressure to screw in. I was give a new replacement but it's the same problem. I don't use the flap anyways

I guess our cows are fatter in Canada.

Didn't look like a Canadian to me :-)

I recall having a problem like this with another leather case some years ago. I found a 1 1/2 inch diameter wooden dowel with a flat end that was about six inches long and borrowed a steel machinist's block (used for aligning items on a milling machine, I think). I worked the bit of leather with a mallet and the dowel against the steel to compress it a little bit. After that, the screw fit perfectly. 

I've used similar stratagems to soften up and shape new, stiff leather shoes and boots. Leather is a very workable material... :)

• 8 months later...

I just got my M10 and am looking for a case. Probably the Leica one. A question to those who own it...

How does the LCD Monitor flap stay up without flopping down (magnets)? There seems to be a white strip to protect the screen.

Please enlighten me.... Thanks!

Magnets. They are on the bottom corners of the flap. There is a strip of felt along the top inside of the flap. I really like the case. I'm a left-eye shooter and it keeps the screen clean and protected. I hate stick-on screen protectors. Most people think it is a film camera since the screen isn't visible.

It's the case I would have designed.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem with the protective flap, the bottom of which is inserted between the case and the camera base.  If you insert the bottom section of the flap, the screw isn't long enough to catch the threads in the socket.  If you remove the flap and insert the substitute spacer it works fine.  The substitute space is just that little bit thinner.  

I was speculating about slicing and cutting off half the base flap to reduce it's thickness and wondered whether anyone else had tried this!

- Vikas

I have sliced off half the base flap and the half case with flap can be properly screwed to the camera.

You have an extra of leather shim with you

Benedict

• Like 1