M10 battery life

ELAN

Could I ask a question of the people who are managing to get >400 exposures from a battery charge.

Since I started this tread I've been getting better battery life, almost always over 400 exposures.  A couple of times I have gotten 900 exposures on a full charge.  Maybe it's the warmer weather :)

My M is always on, except on the rare occasions it goes into a bag.  2 minutes to fall asleep, no EVF, no LV, review is off and very little chimping.

My spare batteries arrived 3 weeks ago.  Still sealed in their boxes.  I guess that says it all...

Edited by ELAN

My spare batteries arrived 3 weeks ago. Still sealed in their boxes. I guess that says it all...

I am not quite sure if this is the strategie to keep the battery alive for a long time. To my knowledge they shall be used or stored at about 80% charge.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

I'd been shooting with the M10 for over a month now. I can add that the number of shots per charge will depend on how you use the camera.

When I do time exposures at twilight, that is, LV and ISO 400 for 125s, it drains the battery very rapidly. Approximately 50 time exposure shots plus maybe 150 golden hour shots and I'm down to 35%.

When I shoot under normal conditions, no LV with manual exposure and 5s display setting, 400+ shots is easy and still have 30% at the end of the day.

I don't have a spare battery, but my charger travels with me. When I expect to shoot at sunrise AND sunset, I charge the batt at a friendly restaurant socket while having lunch!

I'm set to 2 min auto off, I don't turn-off the camera manually.

Yes I recommend carrying a spare battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found the same thing as Robert above. LV and the EVF, plus long exposures, does take a toll on the battery. I have a spare in the bag just in case. Mind you, I'd always have a spare when I'm going out taking pictures that I'm going to value highly. Nothing worse than having an epic sunset and no battery (though having no memory card in the camera is pretty grim too!).

• Like 1

Interesting differences on battery capacities reported. Regardless, observe the following.

Rule #1: Be aware of your battery capacity.

Rule #2: Always carry a spare batt (and SD card). Accidents do happen!

It's called insurance.

• Like 5

I have had one (only one) occasion with M9 where I was expecting a decent amount of left over charge and found it totally drained. I totally missed some wonderful shots that day. I am still not sure whether it was user error or not but that made me start carrying spare battery all the time (now with M240). I have also caught myself without SD card in the camera (I remove it to upload pics to computer) on more than one occasion. Now I always carry a spare SD card kept in a small packet (I sew it myself) in my neoprene camera sleeve. Never leave home without an extra battery and an extra SD card.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I took the M10 out for a couple of hours today - the battery was at 100% when I started, and was dead after 72 shots. I did have LV on all the time with the EVF as I was using 15 & 21mm, and did chimp a bit, though Auto Review was off, as always with me - but this does seem a bit extreme. Without LV on the battery seems to be good for 300-400 shots. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Clearly in future I must always take the spare battery with me unless the EVF stays at home.

I took the M10 out for a couple of hours today - the battery was at 100% when I started, and was dead after 72 shots. I did have LV on all the time with the EVF as I was using 15 & 21mm, and did chimp a bit, though Auto Review was off, as always with me - but this does seem a bit extreme. Without LV on the battery seems to be good for 300-400 shots. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Clearly in future I must always take the spare battery with me unless the EVF stays at home.

What is your Auto Power Saving setting? If EVF is running all the time then you can drain the battery even with 0 shots. It is always a good idea to carry a spare battery, EVF or not. 

• Like 1

It's 2 minutes - but I was using the camera most of the time.

You definitely need to carry a second battery, whatever camera you are using. Otherwise you are gambling.

• Like 1

I shoot the M10 as if it were a film camera, no live view, auto review off, rarely chimping (only in very problematic light situation), single shot.

During a recent holiday I took around 350/400 shots in a week with the first battery which was down to about 30 %.

Battery was almost new on the second charge so I guess not yet 100% performing.

Anyway when I go out shooting I always have a second battery with me even if I feel I do not need it,  it's not a problem and it's better to be sure than regrets later.

robert

• Like 1

M10 eats battery 20% for each hour (without EVF, without chiming, LV off, LCD off). Processor with sensor consume energy very fast, unless you set camera with auto off option.

• Like 1