M10 - compatible with 2/50 Dual Range?

Winedemonium

• 11 months later...

Not possible to adjust...?

Had a 35mm Summaron with googles. Didn't work with digital - but was adjusted to work with digital at my M9-times.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

My 35mm f/2 RF Summicron (goggled) mounts and works great on my Leica M10. No focusing problems, great resolution and color.

I really want to know if the 50mm f/2 DR Summicron mounts and works close up on the M10.

MAYBE the issue is the goggles are designed for cameras with lower windows so they will not be centered on new cameras leading to off center images.

I also think I read some of the lens internals interfere with body whether extended to focus close or not.  Can be modified I think.

Notice nobody is telling you why.   I sold mine and kept the Rigid .

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 35mm f/2 RF Summicron (goggled) mounts and works great on my Leica M10. No focusing problems, great resolution and color.

I really want to know if the 50mm f/2 DR Summicron mounts and works close up on the M10.

M10 is the first digital M Leica to accept DR Summicron 50mm or SOMNI :

A thread I comment earlier last year:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269876-m10-can-be-used-with-somni-50mm-dr-full-range/

even if I had a bit before infinity with one, but later, all is fine with my two DR :).

Need to take some care when mounting and unmounting : set focus ring to around 1.5m and enjoy.

With the NR adapter it worked allready with other digital M .

Edited by a.noctilux

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately the link above is dead. This question just came up on FB with Horatio Tan and he claims that the DR will work without restriction on the M10. I tried with my DR. It works  in close-up range with the goggles, and in the normal range up to a point. It will not go out to infinity on the lens without forcing it. I also tried this with two other DR lenses, same thing. I'm sure it is some kind of clearance issue with the focusing cam on the lens and the lens shroud of the camera. Can someone like DAG modify the DR to work. Possibly.

I once tried to mount a DR on my M9 before I realized what I was doing. Sometime after that I found the RF focus was off - first time I've had that happen in over 5 decades of using Leica M models. Looking at the shape of the DR cam I believe it was the cause. As  result I see no reason to try it on my M10.

• Like 1

As I posted in the other thread ( https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269876-m10-can-be-used-with-somni-50mm-dr-full-range/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3292881 ), I think it depends on your SOMNI/Dual Range.  Mine doesn't fit on my M10 unless it's focused close.

Edited by furcafe

As I posted in the other thread ( https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269876-m10-can-be-used-with-somni-50mm-dr-full-range/page-2?do=findComment&comment=3292881 ), I think it depends on your SOMNI/Dual Range.  Mine doesn't fit on my M10 unless it's focused close.

Same for me! My 50mm DR (#144xxxx) focuses smoothly on the M10 from 1 meter to 2 or 3 meters. From there to infinity you have to apply more force then you want to.

So I quickly took the lens off again. Close focusing is smooth and without problem but then the close focusing cam has been pulled out of the camera mount.

Upon inspection I could not find what exactly what causes the friction, both lens and camera look undamaged.

My 50 DR has been working perfectly on both short and normal distances on my M10. It did not work on my M8, M9 or M240. It works perfectly on my M3s and M2s etc, of course. The 50 DR is one of the best 50mm M lenses ever produced by Leica and compares very favourably to more modern lenses. The 50mm Rigid lens is equally good and perhaps a shade better wide open and it has a focus knob. The 50 DR is slightly sharper stopped down. Six of one and a half dozen of the other. 

William

Yes in the manual, because Leica can be conservative sometime = no risk for users (and M10 !)

I quote myself here...

Post #7

The link provided just says by experience that is possible with some care :rolleyes:

M10 is the first digital M Leica to accept DR Summicron 50mm or SOMNI :

A thread I comment earlier last year:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269876-m10-can-be-used-with-somni-50mm-dr-full-range/

even if I had a bit before infinity with one, but later, all is fine with my two DR :).

Need to take some care when mounting and unmounting : set focus ring to around 1.5m and enjoy.

With the NR adapter it worked allready with other digital M .

• Like 2

Yes in the manual, because Leica can be conservative sometime = no risk for users (and M10 !)

I quote myself here...

Post #7

The link provided just says by experience that is possible with some care :rolleyes:

Good to know and to have brave men go where nobody has gone before!  :)

• Like 1