Black logo for M10

tjxism

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This was how the red dot was affixed...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Simple enough to find/punch a black dot out of plastic and affix it with 3M High Bond Tape.

Edited by Frankie

The red dot could be removed easy enough...just grab the proud logo Leica script and twist...

Measure the red dot to determine the diameter...likely a 10- or 12mm dot.

Thin plastic in black or silver could be easily found, use a hole punch to make some dots... 

I'm afraid I'm one of these eccentrics who tapes over Leica and the red dot. I just want to be low key, not start gear conversations. I did buy a black dot but when the red one wouldn't move decided to just give up and go back to tape.

I'm missing some black dots on the ladybug just crawling over your lens.

Edited by mnutzer

I'm afraid I'm one of these eccentrics who tapes over Leica and the red dot. I just want to be low key, not start gear conversations. I did buy a black dot but when the red one wouldn't move decided to just give up and go back to tape.

Ive never had someone start a conversation about my camera because of the red dot...but I have had a few that have asked questions due to the iconic shape of the camera...maybe you would be better off with a paper bag :)

But seriously, I've been shooting Leica's for 30+ years and in that time maybe a dozen or so people have asked about my camera....and I've never used black tape.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ive never had someone start a conversation about my camera because of the red dot...but I have had a few that have asked questions due to the iconic shape of the camera...maybe you would be better off with a paper bag :)

But seriously, I've been shooting Leica's for 30+ years and in that time maybe a dozen or so people have asked about my camera....and I've never used black tape.

I'm sure you're right. It's the prospect I dislike. Maybe a blimp would be the thing!

• 2 years later...

I think that you will find that if you get a permanent black marker and simply ink over the red dot, it will do the job just as well. You may need to put a couple of coats on – and you may need to refresh it from time to time – but by and large it saves you money, stops you interfering with the camera body – and gives it that washed-in washed-out worn-Levi's casual laid-back chilled-out woke nonchalant who-are-you-looking-at look.
All of that

• Like 1

Black or red. Nobody noticed the Leica. 
It’s too small anyway. 

However with -P versions, the big Leica script is quite noticeable. 
Same with SL/SL2 huge Leica name and big red dot. It is screaming Leica out loud. 

If you want discretion, buy silver Leica with red dot. It will look like old camera. And the red dot is less visible over silver body. 

I was a little concerned that when I'm out on the street that my cola bottle might be identified and become a talking point or even a target, so I've created this lovely black discreet logo. I kept the release button red for aesthetic purposes and ease of use 

😂😂

• Haha 1

Seems you really thought your comments were funny.
Now that is pretty desperate.

Anyway, have my matte black dot now.

• Like 4

vor 4 Stunden schrieb happymac:

Cool – how did you manage it?

There is a guy from Stuttgart selling original red dots on ebay.
Bought one and painted it matte black myself.

Still happy with it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

My M10 is black and that attracts less attention than my black and silver Olympus and Fujifilm bodies. I find that people are more curious about the vintage camera look and most do not recognise the value of the red dot. 

I've had 2 other photographers approach me on the street both of whom were also Leica shooters and I liked that as while I'm not overly fond of people in general, I do like a little community of people with shared interests. 

If attempting to hide my camera brand from other photographers (they are the only people who would focus on the red dot (pun not intended)) then I think it is known that many Leica users tape over the logo and that is just as much a sign. In fact, if I put some tape over the front of my X100V, I'd probably have some believing it was a Leica at first glance. 

If it's just for aesthetics, then I get it. I sometimes think a black logo would be cool and wish they were easily interchangeable. I'm proud of my little red dot as the journey into Leica has taken me about 13 years. I have worked and saved hard to get here and while some strangers may try and take that away from me, I'm so happy to finally have my M camera and be a part of this community. 

• Like 1