35mm Summilux pre-ash focus tab - Redux

michaelwj

Luigi, 

My local and very helpful chroming shop offers black chrome plating in gloss, semi gloss/satin and matte. I was chatting to them, when I was having a Thumbie satin chromed a couple of years ago, they said that brass is the nicest material to black chrome as the nickel undercoat bonds to it better than other base materials like steel, where to get a long lasting finish, you should really first copper plate, then nickel before the final black chrome finish. 

I am sure that chrome plating shops in Italy would be able to offer the same service. 

Wilson

• Like 1

In praise of Michaelwj work, here is, just arrived, my replacement tab for my Elmarit 28 v3 (the original went broken and partially lost in action...) : a fine and perfectly fitting item : the brass looking is so fine that I'm uncertain if is worth to embark in black painting it before attaching it definitely... (I suspect I'd end up with a black not perfectly consistent with lens, and maybe at risk of paint wear in usage)

Elmarit_28_newtab1.jpg

Elmarit_28_newtab2.jpg

Thanks for you kind words Luigi, I'm glad you like it! I must confess to being a little worried that it would fit properly, but it looks like it fits very well - your measurements must have been very accurate (it was tricky not having the lens and simply trusting someone else's measurements).

As for painting, I was in such a rush to get mine installed that I didn't allow the enamel to cure properly before applying a second coat... I know have quite a lot of brass showing through. I do like the idea of black chrome though Wilson, I'll have to check it out in Australia.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, Wilson : I could find surely a chroming shop next to my town (it's Italy "brass town", after all...) ; but am still hesitant on what to do... it's really fine as is... it has anyway lost "originality" (not that it's a rare item... differently from the first at left hereunder...)

And by the way I tend to use it seldom... I'm not short of BM 28's :), and not surprisingly the last is the best... (the loss of the tab was a great excuse to add one.. :) )

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Links here:

Hi All,

Following some advice here and on RFF, I've set up a shapeways shop that you can visit here. The focus tab in brass is US$35. If you want a different material then let me know and I'll see about adding it. It's in the classifieds too.

Here is my badly painted on installed after some heavy use over the last few weeks.

U55701I1497314822.SEQ.0.jpg

@pico, I agree, the glue is what prompted me into making my own. How disgusting! I have made this one so that it can be installed and removed without modifying the lens in any way, and also to have a weak point (the nut glued in) so that it doesn't damage the lens if the worst happens.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

@michaelwjI would love to get one of these brass focusing tabs to replace the piece on my Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm F/2 with a more traditional concave shape. Is this something you could help me with/would be interested in taking on? 

Thanks kindly!
Jeremy

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Alan Siqueira said:

@michaelwj, I see that you have a tab for the summicron 50 v4. just a question; do you think it can be attached to a summicron 50 v3? I just love mine and would love to have a focus tab on it

I have a Chrome 50 Summicron V4/5 LTM Special Edition. Given its value, I did not want to modify it permanently but given my very arthritic fingers, needed some sort of focus tab. I therefore opted to use one of these https://www.lenstab.com . Maybe not the prettiest but non-destructive, wholly reversible and works perfectly. I also use one on my 50 Summilux III LTM Special Edition for the same reason. 

Wilson

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/9/2022 at 12:02 AM, Alan Siqueira said:

@michaelwj, I see that you have a tab for the summicron 50 v4. just a question; do you think it can be attached to a summicron 50 v3? I just love mine and would love to have a focus tab on it

Sorry, I didn’t see this earlier! It’s all down to the lens diameter (I list the diameter each tab is made in the description), a few 1/10th of a mm too big is usually okay. All the tabs are 6.3mm wide and the pins are 16mm apart and slightly offset from the screw. 
the tabs are completely removable and don’t require any glueing on the lens. 

On 1/23/2022 at 2:40 AM, Jsushi said:

Hey @michaelwj I’d love to get one of these brass focus tabs made up to replace the weird focus knob on my Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm F/2 with a more traditional concave tab. Is that something you’d be interested in? Let me know!

See my above reply to see if one might fit. As far as making a new one… it’s not out of the question but let’s see if an existing one fits first!

I believe Leica only make the one plastic one that bent to fit the different lenses, but I could be wrong. 

On 1/9/2022 at 12:45 AM, wlaidlaw said:

I have a Chrome 50 Summicron V4/5 LTM Special Edition. Given its value, I did not want to modify it permanently but given my very arthritic fingers, needed some sort of focus tab. I therefore opted to use one of these https://www.lenstab.com . Maybe not the prettiest but non-destructive, wholly reversible and works perfectly. I also use one on my 50 Summilux III LTM Special Edition for the same reason. 

Wilson

Yep, mine will only work non destructively on a lens that had a plastic tab. 

• 2 years later...