Return to film - or not

leica dream

I switched to digital in the 1990's after using film since the late 50's with my own darkroom etc giving much fun. Then moved to lab processed transparencies before converting to digital.

Now I have a Leica V-Lux (10 years old) and C-Lux (18 months old) and love them both - the versatile and handy C in particular!.

Anyway, I miss film, but being in my mid 70's I cannot start a new darkroom, so film would be B/W Lab developed then self scanned or CD.

I am struggling with WHY I would want to move. Funds would be limited.

Is it just the quality of film images which attracts me?

Is it, perhaps, that I miss the super sharp images from a rangefinder camera instead of autofocus?

What is the point if I use a lab for film processing because I end up with digital again at my end?

Can B/W scanned film images be adjusted with software in the same way as digital originals?

If I did go back (or is it forward) to film I would certainly want a rangefinder model so what is around and which best to choose?

Are there any recommended reliable sources for used equipment?

I fear any Leica would be outside my budget...............unless you people know better?

What general purpose lens spec should I choose?

And so on....

I am really struggling and would welcome any and all comments and/or suggestions - even if the answer is "Don't do it".

As others have observed, you do not have to use a lab - develop your own film at home.  C-41 and B&W are not difficult; even E-6 is easy - you just have to control your chemistry temperatures a bit closer.

I would recommend any of the older M cameras - M3, M4-P, M5, M6.  If you shop around, you can find a good M body in the $800-1100 USD price range, with more cosmetically flawed examples running a bit less. 

Regarding lenses, a used 50mm Summicron can be had for around the same price.  If you want or need a wide angle lens, look for used examples of the 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit.  Voigtlander lenses are worth looking at too as the prices on new lenses from Voigtlander can be in the $500-700 USD range, depending on the maximum aperture of the lens.

Regarding a general purpose lens, a 50mm would be a good all-around lens.  Again, take a look at used Leica M lenses, even the  collapsible 50mm f/2.8 Elmar M (you want the Elmar M, made from 1994 to 2007 rather than the older Elmar; the newer Elmar M will give you better image quality).

With regard to used Leica M equipment, take a look at -

www.camerawest.com

www.tamarkin.com

www.sherrykrauter.com

Another great source for used M gear is Ken Hansen of New York City.  He has no website but can be reached by phone at (212) 317-0923 or you can email him at khpny19@aol.com  

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 2

Depending on what you shoot the cost varies quite a bit. This stuff came today from freestyle photo in Los Angeles at a cost of about 185.00 USD. there are much cheeper options for film and developer.  

I develop the film in my kitchen, hang dry them in the bathroom, and scan them to Aperture if i need to adjust them. For a long time it worked out great to use a sweatshirt in the sink in a dark bathroom instead of a changing bag.

Good luck!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Settled on Fuji Acros 100 film but had difficulty finding any film around my town, let alone black/white. I only need a couple of cassettes to start with, and I have found those by mail order at 7Day Shop in Jersey. I shall then experiment with identical images through my Braun and the little Olympus to compare images, but have been keeping an eye on postings around the web for secondhand in case I want to go forward. Always difficult to assure quality from that source though. Was offered an OM10 yesterday by a dealer for just 20GBP, but on inspection it had clearly been dropped hard at some time as the lens bezel was bent. That is all in the future anyway. I'll keep you posted on developments.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can understand that you don´t spend a lot of money just to find out if you like or don´t like it

but on the other hand if you start with cheap "crap" you maybe miss the joy right ?

Leica R would be my first advice to get quality without wasting any money.

The bodies are not expensive but the lenses are still no budget !

Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus etc slr's from the 80's, 90's and later are 10-a-penny and were generally built well enough to last the course with reasonable treatment.  Something basic like a Nikon FE, Pentax MX or Canon AE-1 with a 50mm f1.8 won't break the bank and you'd get a lot of enjoyment out of using them.  I enjoy using my old Nikon FE with a 50mm f1.2 as much as my Leica MP.

The downside of your plan would be in using a flatbed scanner, but if you can accept that you won't get maximum quality 35mm scans from an Epson flatbed, it's the cheapest route if you don't want a dedicated film scanner at this stage.  Look upon the film-digital hybrid route as an extension of the creative process, especially if you process your own films.  You can experiment with different combinations until you find your signature style.  When you do eventually arrive there, it's more satisfying and goes far beyond mangling jpegs with a few dodgy plug-ins.

Hope you have fun and post your work on 'I Like Film', you'll find a lot of like-minded photographers there.

• Like 1

...........and the encouragement just keeps on coming - that you so much. I take the point about the cheap rubbish. I have been looking at Leica R around the sites.

I have to say that I would not touch that OM10 after noticing the damage (heaven knows what else had been affected by the bash), or indeed anything else at such a throw away price unless I knew the personal history. in fact that is the same thing which worries me about internet cameras unless from a true dealer.   As for the Pentax MX idea, I traded one of those in many years ago to get my first Leica so could be interesting.

Apug.org (analog photography forum) has classifieds section with free to go film gear.

The big advantage of bw film - if it can't be the 1K$ Leica it might be 1$ Smena-8m then.

8x10 print scan from negative taken with 1$ Smena-8M.

32921501526_9d767ebff3.jpg

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I just need to close this circle.  As intended, I purchased some ACROS100 films and loaded a couple of my old cameras then started shooting anything and everything just to see whether the cameras were still worth exploiting. The little Olympus was very easy to use, but the Braun Paxette view optics have lost their brilliance so the rangefinder facility is difficult to use. If the project was successful it could lead to deeper research into a new acquisition as interest developed, and I have narrowed my choice down to a couple of possibles available.

Then came the jerker.............I just asked myself WHY? 

Photography is not my main hobby so would I really want to move forward with this expenditure for it to lay idle.

After much heart searching I have decided not to progress any further. Yes, I'll complete the films and get commercial processing to see how the cameras have performed but I shall stop there.

A most interesting little project, and thank you all so much for your advice and input, but I guess that with my V-Lux and my C-Lux I have all I need for my casual use.

Taking pictures with film has nothing to do with casual use

or get pictures the easiest way.

It is just much more affort to get the quality you want

so frustration comes much quicker than using digital

and pop them up with photoshop and some filters. 

Still can´t let go because I just love the cameras......  :D

• Like 1

She never left the film, she remains film , even at 105 years of age ....
And she is right , not better as a support color as b&w !

Long live this brave lady whose job is photographer ! 

A good lesson for all of us.

Look at these pictures :

http://vnexpress.net/photo/cuoc-song-do-day/nhiep-anh-gia-105-tuoi-van-say-nghe-o-trung-quoc-3555491.html

Rg

H

• Like 7

For color I'm 100% digital capture, process and view in various ways.

Bill , spectral color of digital sensor is not the same spectral color of eyes

In another term , digital has a result not satisfying yet for color  ...

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 3

I make all of my black and white photographs with film. My way if thinking why use film if the negatives are going to get scanned?

Bill actual I agree with you when it comes to satisfying results I take the easy way and go digital.

But just because I am not able to get use of a real professional laboraty yet.

Starting study photography I had to work for a while there with the EP2 process later RA4.

On workshops I was trained to work out color slide filme like Kodachrome on Cibachrome

and belive me these colors hit your eyes !  ;)

• Like 3

I make all of my black and white photographs with film. My way if thinking why use film if the negatives are going to get scanned?

When you scan film you're making a digital copy of the film negative. The output (however presented) is always different to an image captured digitally. 

• Like 2