Elegant tape solution for covering red dot on silver M

hollisd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The sticky foam/tape that you can buy for tennis rackets cushions impacts slightly but it does leave rather horrid residue which gives hours of fun to remove. Personally the only think I fit to my bodies is a Kirk (Arca) tripod adapter - you can tell its been fitted to the baseplate because it disrupts the brassy edges either side by protecting the paint below it.

pss : thieves and alike do not know what Leica is. NO idea. WHATSOEVER. They can recognize a big camera and a big lens, because they think it would look more professional and thus, fetch more money. I bet anyday, that you leave a M10 with red logo and a Nikon D100 ( yes, the 15 year old crap ) and 99% to 100% of the thieves would go for the 50 usd Nikon ( what is worth these days )

I HAVE SOME older cameras that are beyond repair along with a Macbook air with bad motherboard that I leave in plain sight.

A gym bag is great for carrying cameras in dodgy places.

On Monday I dealt with a guy who started talking to me on the subway car, followed me out of the station at my stop, and wanted to come with me to Gourmet Garage.

..perhaps he was just hungry or it was you he was interested in & not really the camera?

Well almost nobody knows what a rangefinder is actually. Even on some photo forums a lot of people believe that a rangefinder is a black or a silver thing with a window instead of a bump. All this to say that there are only two kinds of cameras all over the world: with and w/o a red dot. ;)

None of my 7 I Model A cameras has a red dot. Does that make them any less of a Leica?

William

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is a solution, just get the whole thing in red..... :lol:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I use a Japanese product called MT Tape made from washi (rice) paper. Thin, easy to handle and holds a nice matt black (or pink with white polka dots if you prefer) and surprisingly strong. The adhesive it uses doesn't leave a residue and doesn't lose stickiness even after years. I discovered it being sold MAP Camera, Yodobashi and BIC Camera in Tokyo for just this purpose and would buy some whenever I was there. Not just for covering red dots, but wherever you'd use gaffer tape to provide grip or protection.

Sent from my EVA-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

None of my 7 I Model A cameras has a red dot. Does that make them any less of a Leica?

Same for my M3, M6J and M4-2 the red dot of which could be removed easily (pic). I wish i could do the same with modern Leicas that are indeed the only cameras exhibiting this red thing in the world. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi ,

Two hours ago I saw a couple: he had a Nikon,(nobody's perfect, so am I), she had a M240 in black. I recognized first the shape, not slim,no ISO barrel, couldn't be a M10, then the red dot, not so flashy, almost small.

My conclusion is : the red dot takes more space in some Leica owner's head than in reallity.

• 4 weeks later...