Elegant tape solution for covering red dot on silver M

hollisd

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

No, not at all, when sitting at a table over coffee or a beer.

Yes, very much, when I'm busy taking pictures.

in the 73 years that I have been taking pictures no one but no one has ever stopped and asked me about my camera when I've been taking a picture...................I've had a few folks tell me to f#$#$ off but never stop me in the middle of taking a picture and say wow that's a cool camera :)

in the 73 years that I have been taking pictures no one but no one has ever stopped and asked me about my camera when I've been taking a picture...................I've had a few folks tell me to f#$#$ off but never stop me in the middle of taking a picture and say wow that's a cool camera :)

73 years? No wonder... If I saw an infant taking pics, my first question wouldn't be about the camera.

Jeff

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

73 years? No wonder... If I saw an infant taking pics, my first question wouldn't be about the camera.

Jeff

Tipo ...........7 years Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, in another post today (50 APO thread) you commented that you initially couldn't focus the Noctilux because you had "the wrong diaper' on! Maybe there is something to this infant thing.

Jeff

I was using a 0.5 Diopter instead of what I need the 1.0.....that's why

To my surprise I had this happening today. A youth (around 20 years old) sponteneously commented on the M10 by saying I was carrying a very valuable camera. He did own a Canon D50.

So there is still hope phones are not the only photo devices youngsters know about. :) 

• 8 months later...

Late to the game but here is what you do for the most "elegant" way:

I took do not like the look of gaffer over just the dot or the "M" (240) or "leica" script on the front (M6)

so I took a blank sheet of paper and traced the entire front area lightly with a pencil, including all the windows, then take a sharp hobby/exacto knife and make cut outs from 2" black (or whatever color) gaffer tape.  it takes patience, but it looks very seamless if done right!  looks way better that multiple pieces as everything is one layer.  The inspiration was 3M phone skins.

the goal is to have the entire front part of the top plate covered with one piece of gaffer tape.  I did this with the bottom plate too.

The blank dot replacements from mgr in Hong Kong are probably the most discrete.
http://www.mgrproduction.net/_p/prd1/4397820231/product/steel-grey-dot-for-leica-m9
Not sure I'd bother though

I just ordered one today. Costs $11. The texture of the black MGR dot, judging from the photos, seems to differ slightly from the M10's black body.

Still, it looks to me to be a better solution than either tape,  or the black DAG Leica dot. You don't need to advertise the Leica name.

Any red, no matter how small, attracts the eye. Red is not discrete.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Seriously pathetic.........

for those who do go down the path of taping up there logos may I suggest staying at home and take pictures in the house. And on special days when you can hire a security guard. Pop out into the garden to grab s few quick ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

True story, back when I was in college in the 70s we had a guest photographer one night and of course at some point in the class someone asked what camera he used for his photographs. “It’s a Leica M3” and he promptly pulled it out of his bag and handed it to someone at the front of the class. “Here, pass it around” he said. I had never seen a Leica in my life. At that time all I ever wanted was a Nikon F with a motor drive like the pros use and pretty much figured I would never, ever be able to afford one.

But I digress, as the camera moved it’s way to thru the group I could see it was completely covered with wood grain vinyl contact paper. Before it even got to me someone shot their hand up and asked why he had made his nice camera look like crap! The artist just looked at the student and said “would you steal that camera?” Big laughs and the discussion moved on. Shortly the camera came my way and as it was placed in my hands I was surprised how heavy and solid it felt. A quick look through the viewfinder and I was hooked. Love at first sight. No internet in those days so it took a fair bit of work for me to catch up on the whole Leica history. After college I went on to a tech school to get my degree in commercial photography and a few years beyond that before I could actually scrape up the cash to buy my first Leica. An M3 with the 50mm dual range Summicron. 

Well I did eventually buy a Nikon F with a motor drive and more than a few Ms have passed through my hands since then but I still have that old M3. If anyone in 1974 would have told me that some day I’d pay 6 grand for a digital Leica I’d tell them they were as crazy as contact paper (then I’d ask what “digital” meant). Still in love with photography and still using a Leica. jc

• Like 2

There is an excellent "tape" that is light years better than gaffer tape, etc.  It is called auto chome blackout tape.  It is marketed under a couple of different names over the years.  I've used the tape on all my camera bodies for over a decade.  It is thin, conforms well to irregularities, does not rub off easily, can be easily removed by just peeling off with your fingernail, leaves NO residue, and the color is a perfect match to camera body black and black chrome.  

Here's a link to the product on amazon..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029XD62/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Reading through the back end of this thread to see if the tape debate had moved on at all and something occurred to me. I've had my M10 for nearly two weeks now, but does it have a red dot? In all seriousness I had to go to my camera bag to find out that it does have a red dot! Oh well, as long as I continue to use it as a camera it will always face in the wrong direction and not bug me. And if anybody ask's 'is that a Leica' I'll just tell them for vanity I stuck a red dot on a Fuji, that should serve up the required amount of disappointment.

• Like 1

Hiding the brand name or otherwise changing the appearance of the camera has been a fashion through time. When I attended photo school in 1979 half the students had their cameras camouflaged with tape or paint. My Nikon was named “ IKon” with the help of black paint. Some took it serious, as a critique of the capitalist society, others just made a joking statement. The red dot is a obvious sign of Leica, but today no current rangefinder cameras other than Leica are available, so you are carrying a Leica, dot or not!

• Like 1

Well almost nobody knows what a rangefinder is actually. Even on some photo forums a lot of people believe that a rangefinder is a black or a silver thing with a window instead of a bump. All this to say that there are only two kinds of cameras all over the world: with and w/o a red dot. ;)