Noctilux f1 or 0.95?

Mikewest

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello

4 months ago, I've sold my noctilux f1 ... and now, I miss him... I liked the size with my SL, the bokeh rendering, and his signature. But I've sold it because sharpness wasn't very good (mostly in the corner).

Now, I own a second hand Noctilux 0.95... but it seems I miss the character of the previous Noctilux...

Do you have any advice or similar experience?

It should be noted that I also have a Summilux 50 ASPH when I want to travel lighter ...

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

It's a slippery slope. Personally I could own both the f1 and 0.95 Noctilux because they are different and I appreciate the f1 rendering.

I love the 0.95 though and find it more useful for what I do, it's a very good compromise I think. It's not just the extra sharpness, it's the colour and tonality too. Stopped down it's a monster in terms of sharpness and it's very flexible versatile lens.

But you wouldn't be the first person to prefer an f1 over the 0.95 so you can only go with what you feel is right.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 1

Now, I own a second hand Noctilux 0.95... but it seems I miss the character of the previous Noctilux...

I did the same.  Sold the f1 to buy the 0.95.  I do love my 0.95 but agree the character of the f1 was lovely.  

My solution was to buy an f2 Summitar 50mm.  It's not the same as the f1 Noctilux obviously BUT it does have a lovely out of focus rendering that reminds me of the f1.  It was also a fraction of the cost of the f1 Noctilux and also a tiny lens!

I have the F/1 Noctilux and am extremely pleased with it.  The fingerprint is unique and much different from the 0.95 ASPH version.  I cannot see myself ever letting my F/1 get away. 

If your finances will permit you to own both, why not get another copy of the f/1 Noctilux to go with your 0.95?  Keep both a year and see which one you use the most, then sell off the other (or just keep it).

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had the f/1.0 v4 for quite a few years and had the opportunity to pick up the f/0.95 at a very reasonable price (through the forum's buy and sell page actually).  I used both side by side and kept the f/0.95 for 6 months but released it back into wild because, although it is is a superb and sharp lens, it lacks the character of my f/1.0.  The f/0.95's rendering is very similar to my 50/1.4 Summilux asph's rendering so I don't miss the f/0.95.  

The f/1.0 is my 'cold, dead hands' lens.

Pete.

• Like 11

I have the f1 E58. The size of the E58 Noctilux feels much smaller in my hands than the 0.95 (that I tried occasionally few times). Of course the signature of the f1 is extremely unique (which is the other reason of owing it).

Edited by smkoush
  • Like 1

I own the f/1 (v4)  and went that direction based on various reviews and visual examples that more or less state what Pete has said.    The f/1 is an extremely creative len...for me.  If I want sharp, it certainly delivers all I need to see.  The creative landscape is limitless given the unique signature that it carries.   I shoot it on my SL and love the renderings I achieve with my M6 and a roll of Portra 400.  If you keep an eye on the B&H used market, you can probably get an f/1 and 50lux in grade 9 condition for the price of a new 0.95    Grade 9 at BH is more or less like new.  

The f/1 covers a lot of ground.  I've used it for street, cityscape, portraits...it's quite a versatile lens.  Some call it a one trick pony, I certainly do not.  

Enjoy whatever you decide.

• Like 3

I own the f/1 (v4)  and went that direction based on various reviews and visual examples that more or less state what Pete has said.    The f/1 is an extremely creative len...for me.  If I want sharp, it certainly delivers all I need to see.  The creative landscape is limitless given the unique signature that it carries.   I shoot it on my SL and love the renderings I achieve with my M6 and a roll of Portra 400.  If you keep an eye on the B&H used market, you can probably get an f/1 and 50lux in grade 9 condition for the price of a new 0.95    Grade 9 at BH is more or less like new.  

The f/1 covers a lot of ground.  I've used it for street, cityscape, portraits...it's quite a versatile lens.  Some call it a one trick pony, I certainly do not.  

Enjoy whatever you decide.

Are you kidding??  You should be able to get a like new 1.0 for about half the price of a new 0.95

For a more lyrical comparison:

If you want to photograph then get the 0.95.

If you want to paint then get the 1.0

I was given the 1.0/50 E60 (v3) by a friend so had no choice but I'm exceptionally happy with it :-)

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

For a more lyrical comparison:

I was given the 1.0/50 E60 (v3) by a friend so had no choice but I'm exceptionally happy with it :-)

There are many 50mm Leica M lenses that will make outstanding images.  Only the f/1.0 Noctilux can do what it does. 

• Like 2

I have to say, I think this statement is a bit overused.   I think the f/1 is more than capable of performing both.

Photograph

29198656310_49d865530b_c.jpg

Bethany Beach, DE - 2016-09-02_076-149-2 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

Paint

31045491453_f17ba727ed_c.jpg

2016-12-24_005-099 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

• Like 7