Informal Survey--Monochrom Sensor Corrosion

fotografr

Leica should set up a simple system where the body is sent in a week or so befoe the actual repair, the work is done within a few days, and the body is sent back.

It's ridiculous that a body sits for weeks or months at Leica collecting dust while waiting to be serviced.

This is Management 101.

Leica NJ does have such a system.  Sometimes it works and sometimes not.  My Monochrom was sent in at the appointed time, but through oversight by customers service it was placed at the back of the queue rather than its reserved spot.  CS was not able to correct the situation once it became apparent.  So even with a "reservation" and major effort by my dealer the sensor replacement took the full (at the time) twelve weeks.

With the 15 August cut off for free replacement I would be wary of the  "reservation" if offered.  If Leica NJ "forgets" you have one, you may have a hassle proving you don't have to pay for the repair.

Edited by Luke_Miller

Bought the Monochrom in 2014, discovered the heavy corrosion 2 years later in the summer of 2016. Sent it to Leica Germany via one of  the french Leica dealers,  it took about 4 months to have it back. So far so good ...

(Btw had to go thru 2 corroded sensors on the same M9 , had a white horizontal line twice on a M240, a  vertical line of dead pixels on a M8)

Be warned. I was given inside info that all these CCDs will eventually suffer corrosion. Not IF ... WHEN....

If Leica knows this is true, it makes their five year policy even more unfortunate. Perhaps they will continue the upgrade credit program indefinitely.That seems like the right things to do, especially for original purchasers.  

John  

My camera will be getting its third sensor.

Jaapv, were the two previous sensors the original type or are you having one of the "improved corrosion resistant" sensors replaced?

I've had two older sensors in my MM1 and as of last March it now has the latest sensor and although it's early days, so far so good!

• 2 weeks later...

As a wrap up to the question I posed to start this thread, the latest information from a reliable company source is that All original M9 and MM sensors will at some point corrode. It's just a matter of time.

Edited by fotografr

As a wrap up to the question I posed to start this thread, the latest information from a reliable company source is that All original M9 and MM sensors will at some point corrode. It's just a matter of time.

I don't think that's a surprise. The surprising thing is the extent to which some in the company appear to have tried to hose this down; and the treatment of those with cameras older than 5 years old (or with replacements of old type sensors) who don't (yet) have signs of corrosion.

It seems Leica is happy to hang them out to dry ...

• Like 1

Sounds more like a panic reaction to the prospect of potentially replacing every single M9(M) sensor. Who are they going to sue? Kodak??

They ought to address it more forthrightly and perhaps will be forced to soon. Note, the list of bodies available for discounted purchase has broadened. I expect the price will drop as the flood of angry owners discover failures in the years to come.

Had the M262 been made available at the time I discovered the sensor rot in late 2016.I'd likely have gone for that.