Framelines

hollisd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is there a graphic anywhere that shows frame lines for a .72x VF?

I'm curious how the M10 VF looks for a given lens, say, a 35 or 50, could someone give me a novice explanation and/or graphic that shows what lines appear in the viewfinder with how much space around the margins? 

I've only looked through a Leica VF once and it was stunning but, for example, I don't understand, say, you're using a 35 cron, do frame lines come in pairs so you always see 2 or is this a setting or how does it work? 

Also I've heard of a frame lines selector but what is that? Apologies for the noob content but figure others may benefit from the forum's knowledge so thanks in advance. 

Edited by hollisd

You find a description with graphics in the M10 Manual, english Version p. 158f.

https://de.leica-camera.com/Fotografie/Leica-M/Leica-M10/Downloads

They always appear in pairs in the viewfinder: 28/90 mm; 35/135mm; 50/75mm.

With the frame selector you can change the pairs you see in the viewfinder; e.g. you have a 50mm lens on your camera, showing the frames for 50/75mm but you want to see which field of view you get with 90mm - you select the other frames with the little lever which is on the front side under the viewfinder. You get the usual frames again, when you don't activate the lever.

Edited by UliWer
  • Like 1

Why do they always appear in pairs? Why not just show what frame line corresponds to the mounted lens? 

In my view that would be simplicity in line with editing down to what is essential - if you're going to do this on the body why not simplify the VF too?

Edited by hollisd

The limitations of mechanical engineering. They would need another three masks in the rangefinder mechanism, and the cams on the M lenses (the shapes on the end of the lens barrel that select which frame pairs are shown) would have to be changed - and so would no longer be backwards compatible. The cams on the 50 and 75 lenses are identical at present. Just imagine a programme of cam replacement to accommodate this change. We're stuck with design choices made 60-70 years ago!

• Like 1

They could use the information from the 6bit coding but then the frames will have to be activated electronically and mechanically.

Don't forget the frames also move mechanically with the focusing.

Edited by Leicaiste
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why do they always appear in pairs? Why not just show what frame line corresponds to the mounted lens? 

In my view that would be simplicity in line with editing down to what is essential - if you're going to do this on the body why not simplify the VF too?

Do some research. If you google the relevant words you'll find all sorts of information and pictures/diagrams to show you how the rangefinder and viewfinder is assembled and works and then you will understand why it is how it is, and more importantly, why it would be very difficult for Leica to change it.

Well, they could change it and avoid the pairing by going back to the original concept of the M2: only frames for 35, 50 and 90mm, each on it's own and separately activated by the different lenses. They do offer this as an option for their film M-bodies.

Though, if we had this non-pairing 35-50-90-system as a rule, I wonder  which threads were longer: those complaing about the cluttered viewfinder asking for simplicity or those complaing about the left-out frames for 28-75-135mm. If they offered a general frame option for every body they produce, the threads complaing about delivery times would certainly be the longest.-

And there is some sort of interest in displaying many frames in the viewfinder on Leica's side as well: they are a constant inspiration to acquire a new lens for which you have an unused frame.       

And have a look at these two amazingly informative threads

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/66999-anatomy-of-the-leica-m8-framelines/

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/21079-anatomy-of-the-leica-m8/

This forum is stunning in terms of readily shared information!

You're welcome....  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268492-m10-fw-requests/?p=3201577

Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would it not be technically feasible to show the mm number according to the frame line so with the 28mm lenses, it would show 28 say in the left corner etc.

I ask because I forget all the time which frameline matches the lens I put on!

However thanks to UliWer above it would appear that if I remember 28, 35 50, are going to be the larger frameline, the 75, 90 and 135mm are going to be the smaller frames - I think my

zired grey cells can remember it that way. If the mm figure was feasible somewhere in the frameline, there would be no need for me to remember or guess!

Better to just use your camera and lenses more frequently. There are many other things that will become second nature.... frameline accuracy based on subject distance, metering results, zone of focus, etc. No need to mess up the VF more than now.

Jeff

Better to just use your camera and lenses more frequently. There are many other things that will become second nature.... frameline accuracy based on subject distance, metering results, zone of focus, etc. No need to mess up the VF more than now.

Jeff

Maybe you're right, I haven't had the M10 for 6 weeks yet......

Indeed.  Some bond with M photography quickly, some over time, and some not at all.  But to really get to know it, one has to use it....a lot.  Especially in manual mode.

You might stick with one lens for a while and get to know it.  

And remember that on the M10 you have the benefit of a frame preview lever so that you can judge alternate framing without switching lenses.

Jeff

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...