Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another film company has come back from the abyss!  

Ferrania P30 panchromatic B&W film (ISO 80) will be available beginning in mid-February.  The images posted on the company's website that were made with this emulsion look really great.  I am looking forward to ordering a couple of bricks of P30 and giving it a try.

https://petapixel.com/2017/02/01/film-ferrania-returns-grave-unveils-new-p30-bw-35mm-film/

And -

http://www.filmferrania.it/p30

Nice to know.

However, in my opinion THE greatest loss in analogue photography is the paperprint IMO and especially Agfa's Record Rapid and Portriga Rapid. Even Agfa's Classic multigrade baryta was a compromise compared to Record Rapid. I don't find that quality in Ilford's still existing Baryta analogue papers akthough they aren't bad. Inkjet printing on modern Baryta inkjet papers does not give that sensation of depth in images.

So the coming back of films is ok with me, but I can perfectly do with Ilford Delta100 and Kodak's Tri-X. Much more important is the return of good and consistently working baryta papers IMO

I just checked Ferrania's website and found no news on when P30 might hit the market.  There was this youtube video, though.  I plan to watch it when I have 2h. 13m. to spare:

I am very much looking forward to giving P30 a shakedown cruise.

Edited by Carlos Danger

According to this link, the Ferrania shop will be up and running in 12 days, 17 hours:     http://www.filmferrania.it/shop/

I am looking very much forward to laying hands on a brick of P30!! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The news was perceived with a lot of skepticism among Italian Leica fellows on another forum as it appears the company has over-promised and under delivered in the past. The company has struggled to commissioning the production facilities. Will see, it would be nice to try it out. 

According to this link, the Ferrania shop will be up and running in 12 days, 17 hours:     http://www.filmferrania.it/shop/

I am looking very much forward to laying hands on a brick of P30!! 

Threads in other groups point to problems setting up the e-commerce required, they, Ferrania, are probably too open about what is happening.

Ferrania trying to make the old and mothballed machines and the site useable again is not a bug. It's a feature, i.e. they raised the funds in order to do exactly that. 

I saw some samples with scratches on the pictures. Sorry but I am not willing to be a paying product tester

who have to deal with loosing a unicate shot because of a defect production. 

Edited by SilentShutter

I saw some scratches samples, too. I also saw the text that came with those samples. They said it was the first run which produced any kind of usable film at all, and that it was all work in progress. Hopefully, we will know "soon".

You know me by now a little Philipp - I am a sucker for film and mechanical cameras

"but" living in a capitalist world were digital camera systems sales going down and

seem to be replaced by smartphones etc. some smell a business with old gearheads

and fanboys like us. Took me a while to find "my film" in the good old days I won´t fall

so quickly for any of these: http://img03.deviantart.net/5872/i/2012/074/f/0/snake_oil_ad_by_emptysamurai-d4sm7bi.png

Hope you proof me wrong. 

UPDATE

According to Ferrania's website, their initial run of P30 has completely sold out.  They are in the process of making another batch, which will be ready before too much longer.  I fervently hope that Ferrania's initial success will continue and that P30 will be available for many years to come.

I have recently made some A3 high quality art prints from the P30 Alpha photos above.

The film has superfine grain, it's hard to see any at A3, it has high defintion. Film contrast is quite high and it has a tendency to orthcromaticity, both of which give the film a nice look.

I can recommend this film, it is iso80 so will suit those photographers who prefer a slower film.

Availability is limited at the moment but will improve in the future.

Above photos shot on M2, Summarit-M 50mm f2.5.

Edited by Philjh

@Philjh -

Those are some excellent images!  I love the mid-tones and especially the blacks.  It certainly looks like the quality is there in the P30 emulsion.  Now the only issue is availability.

What chemistry, concentration and developing time did you use in processing your P30? 

Edited by Carlos Danger