Bye, Leica. It was fun.

Agent M10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

from an article last year ...... which basically says what I would expect ........ Caveat Emptor ......

'Unfortunately there isn’t a universal way that camera manufacturers define weather sealing or what it can do. The joints and button areas of the camera body are covered and sealed with rubber to reduce exposure to moisture and dust, making them “rugged” or “tough” compared to non-weather-sealed cameras. All weather sealing is not created equal, however, as some high-end models get a superior level of treatment compared to some mid-range models. 

What does this mean for photographers in the field? A good way to think about it is that weather-sealed DSLRs are resistant to splashes of water and normal amounts of dust but not necessarily prolonged exposure. If you drop your new weather-sealed DSLR in a bathtub full of water, you will be severely disappointed with the results (and probably will need a new camera). Outdoor photographers should be excited to get a weather-sealed DSLR and feel confident using it in a variety of conditions, but good care is still required, as is proper cleaning and storage'

I  would have to look back to find it, but there was an  article in LFI when the S came out. As my memory has it, it explained the standards to which the camera was sealed, including submerging it for a short time.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

As an aside, I hope that you have insurance to cover the repair cost (and/or to intervene on your behalf with the seller).  If not, you should get a good policy before reinvesting in other expensive gear, one that covers all circumstances the warranty does not, including damage, loss or theft, even if due to your own negligence (which doesn't appear to be the case here).

Jeff

I was paying $1400 a year for insurance for my camera gear, It was chapping my ass that much that I did not renew it.......................I was never confident that they would pay up anyway. One time in Thailand we had our house broke into and they stole many contents including the safe, we made a claim for the breaking and all they would pay for was the broken window. After the police caught the bad guys the insurance agreed to pay for a second hand safe :(

I was paying $1400 a year for insurance for my camera gear, It was chapping my ass that much that I did not renew it......................

One time in Thailand we had our house broke into and they stole many contents including the safe, we made a claim for the breaking and all they would pay for was the broken window. After the police caught the bad guys the insurance agreed to pay for a second hand safe :(

This Is Thailand!

I am still waiting for a decision on my insurance claim. My outboard engine and four marine batteries were stolen at Yacht Haven in Phuket.

Last year my house in Russia was broken in and my Sinar and a lot of other stuff was stolen with my safe, including some lenses and watches .

Funny enough, my Leica S2 with the S100/2 was on the studio stand and it did not attract any interest of the bad guys. My wife said that she was not surprised, my Leica S2 is too old and unfashionable, if it were a nice Canon...

Edited by ynp

I was paying $1400 a year for insurance for my camera gear, It was chapping my ass that much that I did not renew it.......................I was never confident that they would pay up anyway. One time in Thailand we had our house broke into and they stole many contents including the safe, we made a claim for the breaking and all they would pay for was the broken window. After the police caught the bad guys the insurance agreed to pay for a second hand safe :(

Policies vary greatly by country/location, by company and by individual circumstance.

I'm fortunate that despite paying a fraction of yours, mine covers all circumstances, including my own stupidity, with no deductible and full replacement value, even with appreciation up to an additional 50%. And the company pays quickly with no stress, as I found out when an expensive collectible photographic print was damaged in shipment.

Jeff