What to buy? M10, lenses or film M cameras?

Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the advent of the M10, there has been much kerfuffle.  This has got me to wondering (which by the way, is usually not a good thing):  Let us assume for the purpose of discussion that one fine morning you wake up to find that a mysterious envelope has magically appeared.  Inside it is the purchase price of a new M10 with one proviso attached:  You must spend this magical money on photography related stuff, photography workshop(s) and/or travel for the purpose of photography. 

How would you spend your magical $6600 USD?  Would you buy an M10?  Buy M lenses?  Buy film M cameras?  A combination of M lenses and cameras?  Other non Leica kit? Travel? Photographic workshop(s) or some other form of photographic training? 

I am quite interested to know how my fellow forum members would spend their magical free photography money.  I am not sure how I would spend mine; my first reaction would be to buy an M10, buy I'm not sure I really need an M10 since I have a perfectly functional and up to the task M-P 240.

Free magical money drops into your life that must be spent on photography - what do you do??

In 2016 I've had this envelop and not as magical, but it was 3000$ in envelope for my birthday. I went and purchased last NiB M-E from official dealer. If here is another envelope with cash enough to by M10, M10 it is.

I went through bunch of film Ms and here is one to keep. I went though the wide range of lenses and here is one to keep. Film M cameras and lenses are not disposables, they will lasts for 50 years+. Digital Ms aren't going to. If here is odd chance to get one for free, get one. Digital M camera are the only digital cameras which are beautiful, BTW. :)

Presuming that this magical envelope opened AND I had the gear I have right now, I'd book travel to see friends in NY, in the UK, and go explore Sicily. Exactly what gear I dragged along with me for each of those legs is a delightful question mark, but I surely have enough already to take care of all eventualities.

(The M-D would be with me for at least one of those destinations. I love this camera. :)

I'd be more tempted to buy gear if an M-D10 showed up tomorrow at the Leica Store...)

Edited by ramarren

To answer my own question, I'm not sure what I'd do. 

It is second nature for we M camera adherents to want the latest, greatest that the folk in Wetzlar have to offer.  If I were able to stave off the instant gratification of acquiring an M10, the wiser decision would probably be to use the money to travel to and photograph some of the places on my lengthy photographic bucket list.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the advent of the M10, there has been much kerfuffle.  This has got me to wondering (which by the way, is usually not a good thing):  Let us assume for the purpose of discussion that one fine morning you wake up to find that a mysterious envelope has magically appeared.  Inside it is the purchase price of a new M10 with one proviso attached:  You must spend this magical money on photography related stuff, photography workshop(s) and/or travel for the purpose of photography. 

How would you spend your magical $6600 USD?  Would you buy an M10?  Buy M lenses?  Buy film M cameras?  A combination of M lenses and cameras?  Other non Leica kit? Travel? Photographic workshop(s) or some other form of photographic training? 

I am quite interested to know how my fellow forum members would spend their magical free photography money.  I am not sure how I would spend mine; my first reaction would be to buy an M10, buy I'm not sure I really need an M10 since I have a perfectly functional and up to the task M-P 240.

Free magical money drops into your life that must be spent on photography - what do you do??

I would buy a Nikon D5 because I have all the Leica equipement I need and still need replacement for my D3. 

Late December 2016 I received such an envelope - I could trade in my M240 plus a huge chunk of the envelope for an M10 or I could buy the new 28 summicron asph V2. -

Given that my widest lens was a 50, I went for the 28. Love the M10 but i am even more curious about the features in an  M10-P and M10-D

Maybe consider the question in a different frame, pun intended.  Would you go for that camera if it was to be your only Leica?  The M-P240 gives you the same number of pixels, video, and live view, the M10 compromises the video for higher ISO. What do you shoot?  If lower light matters, and video does not, perhaps the M10 would be the better one-camera solution for the next 3 years.

And I won't go into debates on the M-10Monochrom.

Eric

Maybe consider the question in a different frame, pun intended.  Would you go for that camera if it was to be your only Leica?  The M-P240 gives you the same number of pixels, video, and live view, the M10 compromises the video for higher ISO. What do you shoot?  If lower light matters, and video does not, perhaps the M10 would be the better one-camera solution for the next 3 years.

And I won't go into debates on the M-10Monochrom.

Eric

I think we will be able to better answer this question in about six months.

Right now questions like native color palette, estimated aperture as part of exif, larger histogram are up in the air, all waiting for updated and more permanent firmware.

To answer my own question, I'm not sure what I'd do. 

It is second nature for we M camera adherents to want the latest, greatest that the folk in Wetzlar have to offer.  If I were able to stave off the instant gratification of acquiring an M10, the wiser decision would probably be to use the money to travel to and photograph some of the places on my lengthy photographic bucket list.

I guess I'm not an "M camera adherent" ... :) 

I went to the Leica Store in SF yesterday and handled/compared the M10 to my M-D. I love the M10's new viewfinder optics. But I like my M-D more, still, due to its easier to handle body. I'm in no way motivated to spend money for an M with an LCD on the back anymore ... I may sell my M-P body to buy a second M-D or a Summilux-M 50mm lens. 

Of course, when the M10 viewfinder technology is release in an M-D style body, I'll want that camera.  :rolleyes: