36 shot portrait panorama

carstenw

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, and the developers are somewhat responsive, which is refreshing. I do get the feeling that it is maybe two guys working long hours, which worries me a little, but the software looks good and works well, with relatively few bugs.

I am posting this just to show that PhotoShop CS 3 photomerge facilities can handle fairly complex image composites. This is from 4 panel images shot at noon yesterday.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Philip - That looks very nice, CS3 Photomerge looks encouraging. Did the the file knit well at full resolution or do you think knitting glitches will show on a large print of such urban imagery? I like the image.

................Chris

Philip - That looks very nice, CS3 Photomerge looks encouraging. Did the the file knit well at full resolution or do you think knitting glitches will show on a large print of such urban imagery? I like the image.

................Chris

Chris,

Thanks.

The knitting was all done by the software in a few seconds without my manual intervention. The actual PSD file is huge and the image is huge, would go to 20x30 inches easily. There was one minor glitch that I cloned out where two people sort of overlapped. I cloned out the problem easily, though. Although of course I saw the layers but even with that I cannot see the seams at any resolution.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, Philip...do tell how you managed to get all those moving people to stand still while you got off four shots!

I have one too by the way (not a stitch) from CV15: solsphere

Well, Sol, you know what a pocketful of hundreds will achieve in NY, lol. If you look close, you can see one other photog taking shots from 2 different positions. Two bills for her.

Yours is a great wide angle shot from the other end of the joint - a lot of atmosphere. I took the shots literally on a way to a dentist appointment but I want to go back and take some serious shots. The place is a great subject and seeing my first go at it has given me some thoughts about the next one.

BTW, I was using the 35 lens in portrait orientation for the 4 shots only hand-held. My desire for a WA has evaporated as I see more and more what PS can do. Anybody need a Hassie SWC?

Philip--

That's a good shot and a major improvement over previous versions of Photoshop.

I can't quite read the sign just to the right of bottom center. Looks like "Serious photography strictly forbidden." ;)

Thanks for the demonstration!

--HC

Here is a 4-shot pano via the M8 with 24mm F2.8, done with Autopano. I have tried most of the pano software; for value, Autopano is hard to beat; it is also very good at its job, and I find it better than PTGui. It handles lens distrotion very well.

Philip - Thank you for your reply. I had presumed all along that that you had used a 'Pano' head with the the lens properly placed with regard to it's nodal point. Given how awful Photomerge has been in CS1, I am amazed that you hand held the shots and it stitched as well as you report. This is great news for me as I have been shooting files for stitching [using a pano head] and setting them aside; it looks like CS3 does the job extremely well. Thank you for sharing your experience, it's very helpful.

............... Chris.

By the way, I only have one lens, the 24. I have always gone wide with rangefinders and speculated that I would manage wider than 24 mm shots on the M8 by stitching; hence the usefulness of this thread.

I have tried lots of pano software, and even with PSCS3, find that I can't get skies to merge properly, especially if they are clear blue. AutoPano Pro is the best one that I have come across (and been willing to pay for).

The station concourse shot above is very impressive, however.

...I am amazed that you hand held the shots and it stitched as well as you report. ...

Chris, I am neither a human tripod nor pano head so I can assure you that there were plenty of alignment inconsistences for PS to sort out when blending the images.

The PSD image is 17x33.5 inches at 240 ppi resolution for a 98 Mb file. I like the 'longer' lenses for a pano of this sort for the ultimate depth they give you once blended together. Also, I wonder if that doesn't help when the software is doing its blending behind the curtain.

Here's another pano, this time stitched with Calico (on a Mac). Fully automatic. These were about 8 or 9 shots. Digilux 3, shot at around 28 mm (35mm equivalent). No tripod used. I have this printed out about one meter wide, looks gorgeous.

Here's another pano, this time stitched with Calico (on a Mac). Fully automatic. These were about 8 or 9 shots. Digilux 3, shot at around 28 mm (35mm equivalent). No tripod used. I have this printed out about one meter wide, looks gorgeous.

Excellent, Dieter, I can see my apartment in it. You seem to have no problems with the blue sky. I haven't either with ones I have done in PhotoShop. There are, of course, gradient differences depending on the direction one is shooting but not blending problems.

Philip--

That's a good shot and a major improvement over previous versions of Photoshop.

I can't quite read the sign just to the right of bottom center. Looks like "Serious photography strictly forbidden." ;)

Thanks for the demonstration!

--HC

TYVM. No doubt about it, the place is P&S heaven. One concern I had was light pollution from the flash of any one of the numerous $200 cameras going off in the room. But I dodged the bullets.

At the risk of being tedious on the subject, I am attaching a variant of my earlier posted pano of Grand Central Station. On this one, I swapped out 3 of the 4 panels principally because I liked the dynamic of the 2 guys in suits. It was no harder for PS to blend the layers and no harder for me to do the rest.

Apologies in advance.

Here's another with Autopano and 28mm F2 with M8.

... I swapped out 3 of the 4 panels principally because I liked the dynamic of the 2 guys in suits. ...

Philip--I like the guys in suits, but you lost the Doppelgängerin! What disrespect for the P&S camera! :D

--HC