Screen protectors - same size as M240?

satureyes

Nope - the VERY SCRATCH RESISTANT GORRILLA GLASS screen on the M10 is larger and a different aspect ratio from COMPLETELY REDUNDANT screen protector that fits the M240. ^_^

There seems to be a problem with your keyboard. (...)

Best get it looked st.

Edited by pop
Please!
  • Like 4

The screen is a different size and Leica offers a new screen protector.

Although I have never used one, and have not scratched my screen yet...it is possible to scratch the Gorilla Glass.

I find that my M bounced on my jacket - zippers and buttons and all sorts of things over the years. I put a cheap plastic protector on it and it stayed there until I sold it. I'd like to think that the perfect unmarked LCD helped the resale value a little. 

I've also heard the SL screen is physically the same size as the M10 so protectors 'should' fit on the M10 that are designed for the SL.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find that my M bounced on my jacket - zippers and buttons and all sorts of things over the years. I put a cheap plastic protector on it and it stayed there until I sold it. I'd like to think that the perfect unmarked LCD helped the resale value a little. 

I've also heard the SL screen is physically the same size as the M10 so protectors 'should' fit on the M10 that are designed for the SL.

Maybe, but if you are going to buy one why not get the correct one. Leica Store in LA has them in stock.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

Maybe, but if you are going to buy one why not get the correct one. Leica Store in LA has them in stock.

Well I've seen a shot of a SL screen protector on the M10 and it's a perfect fit. 

If it doesn't fit I will return it to Amazon. The one I bought is tempered glass and half the price of the 'official' Leica ones. 

I also don't live in LA

I'd be careful of the glass ones - remember breaking three of those Giotto's on my M9 and then giving up and going with the plastic Acmaxx ones that are still on there five years later. I do have a hairline scratch on my new M10 screen so Gorilla glass does scratch, just not gouge like plastic. Let us know how you get on with the ones you ordered. 

• Like 1

I'd be careful of the glass ones - remember breaking three of those Giotto's on my M9 and then giving up and going with the plastic Acmaxx ones that are still on there five years later. I do have a hairline scratch on my new M10 screen so Gorilla glass does scratch, just not gouge like plastic. Let us know how you get on with the ones you ordered. 

I use them on my iPhone. they re not quite like the Giottos ones - there's no  air gap between the protector and the screen like the Giottos. The ones I use on my devices are just stuck to the glass with a very easy to apply silicone glue. They are laminated too so they crack like a car windscreen. 

For 8 quid I'll take a chance :)

• Like 1

Nope  - the VERY SCRATCH RESISTANT GORRILLA GLASS screen on the M10 is larger and a different aspect ratio from COMPLETELY REDUNDANT screen protector that fits the M240.  ^_^

I can scratch gorilla glass, Chris. Got a nasty one on my M240 and had to replace the glass on my iPhone for multiple scratches by my keys. Sapphire is clearly better.

• Like 1

I use them on my iPhone. they re not quite like the Giottos ones - there's no  air gap between the protector and the screen like the Giottos. The ones I use on my devices are just stuck to the glass with a very easy to apply silicone glue. They are laminated too so they crack like a car windscreen. 

For 8 quid I'll take a chance :)

Thanks for that. Have one on order now. 

I can scratch gorilla glass, Chris. Got a nasty one on my M240 and had to replace the glass on my iPhone for multiple scratches by my keys. Sapphire is clearly better.

I assume there was irony involved in the post you're responding to.

• Like 1

Sapphire is not clearly better—it's different. Scratch resistance and impact resistance are different things. Gorilla Glass is superior to sapphire in impact resistance whereas sapphire has superior scratch resistance. Some of us Apple fanboys have been following rumors of sapphire-screened iPhones for quite a while, and some research, to put it mildly, has been done. E.g.:

I think the appeal of sapphire is twofold. First, it has superior scratch resistance. Second, it has a superior association with luxury. I'm also a watch nut and my daily wear is an Omega Speedmaster Pro, which has a hesalite, and not sapphire, crystal—and I prefer it. Why? Because I don't like the look of sapphire watch crystals—it looks "dead" IMO. Also, I tend to bang my watch on doorframes, poles, etc. (I'm wider than the average bear, I guess.) And finally, the Speedy Pro just plain should have hesalite, because that's what it's always had.

There seem to be two groups of people here: the people who are afraid of having their M10s marred by their straps due to the absence of the strap fender or whatever the heck the thing above the strap lugs is called, and then the people who are in a mad dash to put their personal Lenny Kravitz patina on their cameras. I would be in the latter camp, if someone were to force me to join a camp.

As such, I prefer Gorilla Glass over sapphire as I would rather run the risk of scratches in exchange for reducing the probability of a shattered screen. Those who are in the sapphire camp are probably not walking or skateboarding or bicycling or motorcycling around the city with their Leica slung over their shoulder. And if that's the case, then sapphire may be the superior material for their application.

Horses for courses, anyone?

• Like 1

The iPhone doesn't use Gorilla Glass, does it?

Yes, they do. They don't slather every laptop and phone chassis with a plethora of Intel Inside and the like stickers, and similarly they don't advertise the brand name of each of the components that comprise their phones:

http://www.recode.net/2016/7/28/12305062/apple-iphone-gorilla-glass-sapphire-screens

Screen protectors are a good thing. On my original M9 it is scratched, but good to use,

my backup M9's protector is cracked and I can't get it off! I tried a dental pick (explorer),

dental floss, my fingernails. I just cannot get under it. Drives me silly.

Simple question really.

I don't want to get into a debate as to why I want to put a screen protector on. Just wondering if the LCD is the same size and therefore I can use my spare M240 protectors on the M10 or I need to order something else. 

Ta!

R

How did I know it would end up like this... 

• Like 4