M 11 will be around in less than 4 years. The speculations and facts.

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Backside illuminated high pixel count FF sensors have very little noise at high ISO. Panasonic and Leica forwent the BSI technology and chose instead a “waveguide” whatver approach for their 47 MPx sensor. They must have done so for a good reason. So, I will reserve judgement on which sensor has the best DR before I see for myself how the M10, the SL, the SR1, the α7R III, and the Z7 perform with the same lens at different ISOs in scenes with dark Shadows and extreme Highlights. I’m sure the non-BSI S1R/Q2/SL2 sensor will show more noise than Sony’s or Nikon’s at high ISO. The S1 would then be a better choice (and it doesn’t have an AA/OLP-Filter 😀). But the new Leica/Panasonic 47 MPx sensor could possibly handle high contrast scenes better at lower ISOs because it supposedly uses aspherical lenses to direct light into the pixel and deep photodiodes. I’m not sure how effective this is, but I’m really intrigued now to see for myself. I don’t care what the charts show. The M10 sensor gets a DxOMark score of only 85 but the M10 performance at ISO 200-640 in high contrast scenes beats the α7R III and the the Z7 by a mile. I’m not sure where I’ll post the pictures but definetly on my SmugMug page. 😁

You'll find far more relevant than DXO (photographically speaking) information here:

http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm

• Like 2

On 3/20/2019 at 11:19 AM, Jeff S said:

No more 3 digit “Typ”, but in theory this could still allow for a M10.2... although I doubt it.  The P versions seem to cover the interim models besides Monochroms or screenless variants.  But if we ever see an EVF based or hybrid VF version, or maybe variants based on MP count, who knows how Leica would label them.  Many companies, including Leica, haven’t been consistent or logical in the name game. 

Jeff

Me thinks an M10P.2 with 47mp and native iso 50 would be a brilliant move in the next couple of months. Mainly because I'm dying to get my hands on one. 😀

oh well, four years will be here soon enough

• 3 weeks later...
Am 1.2.2017 um 20:16 schrieb Paulus:

In the interview with Stefan Daniel :

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-aktuell/2017/01/leica-m10-interview/?utm_source=luf170201&utm_medium=E-Mail

He says two important things: The Leica M 11 will get into production sooner than the interval M 240 - M 10. ( 17:00 - 20:00 minute ). 

Also it will be called M 11. 

The Leica M will always be the best camera for M lenses, hence the new sensor of the M 10. 

The development of the M 11 has not started, but we are welcome to speculate. Leica will read the speculations and act accordingly, using the Leica user Forum like one easy marketing tool. 

This gives us , not only means to influence the development of the M 11, but also gives us responsibility. 

Some (factual) speculations:  

The M 11 will be the same "33,7 mm"  size body.  

The Leica MP 10 will be sooner as expected ( if it will come ).

The iso knob will stay as part of the philosofy : you can prepare the camera for action without looking on the menu. 

My wishes at the moment: none. 

At the and of this thread, I stil, can say the same. Wishes : Non. 

• 8 months later...
On 3/30/2019 at 3:06 PM, GT2RS said:

According to this source M11 is coming in Aug/Sep 2020. Looks like not only will I have enough for M11, but also Noctilux. Hopefully they bump the MP to at least 36MP.  No EVF and weight reduction would great as well.

http://thenewcamera.com/leica-m11-coming-on-2020/

Leica Rumors also reported this originally but then said there won’t be an M11 in 2020 but rather an M10X with higher megapixels (to launch at Photokina). I’d imagine the M10X is probably using the M10M sensor. I’d also imagine Leica is planning a bigger innovation for the M11 if it’s the case they’re releasing an M10X.

Edited by mishi

vor 16 Minuten schrieb mishi:

Leica Rumors also reported this originally but then said there won’t be an M11 in 2020 but rather an M10X with higher megapixels (to launch at Photokina). I’d imagine the M10X is probably using the M10M sensor. I’d also imagine Leica is planning a bigger innovation for the M11 if it’s the case they’re releasing an M10X.

Welcome to the forum!

1 hour ago, mishi said:

It remains to be seen whether Leica will even participate in Photokina. They didn’t last time. 

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

It remains to be seen whether Leica will even participate in Photokina. They didn’t last time. 

Apparently not.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/leicarumors.com/2019/09/17/leica-will-not-take-part-in-photokina-2020.aspx/amp/

But of course doesn’t preclude an announcement at any time of their choosing.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, james.liam said:

The apparent and imminent appearance of an M10R (and maybe then an M10R-P?) is likely to postpone an M11 for several years more.

I’d be surprised, as January 2021 would be the typical 4 year cycle anyway. Especially if the already developed Maestro III is also left out of the M10R. Interim models haven’t changed that timing much lately, although the new sensor does add another twist.  But we’ll see. Interesting times... across manufacturers.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

10 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I’d be surprised, as January 2021 would be the typical 4 year cycle anyway. Especially if the already developed Maestro III is also left out of the M10R. Interim models haven’t changed that timing much lately, although the new sensor does add another twist.  But we’ll see. Interesting times... across manufacturers.

Jeff

I had a thought in another thread that they may be adopting a strategy similar to Sony and their a7.

Start with a lower-res color, introduce a -P 2-3 years later, then an updated Mono, followed by a super-high resolution (-R) and then an -RP version a year or two before the next iteration. Stretches the life cycle to perhaps 6 years instead of 4. If there was ever an M digital body worthy of a longer life, the M10 would be it.

...If there was ever an M digital body worthy of a longer life, the M10 would be it.

Yes.  No question.

...41 MP.

No effin video.

Same body dimensions, do NOT revert to the obese M9 body...

YES!!

And let's round up to make it an even 50 megapixels with ISO 100-100,000 capability.

And with every camera, include a decoder wheel so we can extrapolate out how the suffixes of the no letter M11, -M, -P, -R, -DR, -PR, -RPM and -EIEIO models stack up in their proper pecking order.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1