M 11 will be around in less than 4 years. The speculations and facts.

Paulus

vor 2 Minuten schrieb IkarusJohn:

Agreed, to a point.

If I may take you diving one step further, in paragliding we rely on checks and simplicity. If it doesn’t justify its existence, it gets eliminated. While the baseplate may have elegance for you, it is pointless for me. The click in battery for the L mount cameras have proven their effectiveness (for me), as has the connection door.

Not sure that means an increase in size or form.

I think we are getting to the real issue here. I will have a look at the L mount camera. In the mean time, you can experiment with what could go wrong with the click in battery. Maybe leica is doing the same...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SMAL said:

Nope, that´s nonsense. Really, it´s apples and peas! 

Chill - Paulus was making a point. “Nonsense” is more than a little dismissive. This forum is a pleasant place if you’re (a) not too thin skinned (Pico is actually entertaining, if you give him space), and (b) a bit more charitable to other members.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paulus said:

I think we are getting to the real issue here. I will have a look at the L mount camera. In the mean time, you can experiment with what could go wrong with the click in battery. Maybe leica is doing the same...

Haven’t had one go wrong yet, but there’s always a first time!

• Like 1

vor 6 Minuten schrieb SMAL:

Nope, that´s nonsense. Really, it´s apples and peas! 

Why? We are talking about development " evolution " of equippement. You must have thoughts about how and with what thoughts this will happen? One can see the " evolution " of apples and pears in the same way and see the same analogy?

I've never understood video for a camera like the M10. I know for certain I would have to pay for something I'll never use. I have a video camera for when I want to do that. It took me a while to come from the DSLR world back into rangefinder. Every day is better. Whatever is done with the next generation is fine with me, even video. I'll be happy a long while with the 10.

9 hours ago, stephengv said:

Additional request besides the IBIS and the Level Gauge. I want the "integrated fold-out thumb rest" like the M10D! 

Agree, although it looks a bit awkward, it still is a better integrated option than a third-party one.

• Like 4

The Leica Rumors site - whose rumours usually turn out to be very reliable (and if he's unsure of something, he says so) - is rumouring a new Q2 available in 2019. Specs are said to be largely unchanged, but with a boost to the megapixel count.

In the long run, it seems unlikely they would have more megapixels in the Q than the M, so perhaps this indicates the direction of any future M11?

• Like 1

vor 7 Stunden schrieb colint544:

The Leica Rumors site - whose rumours usually turn out to be very reliable (and if he's unsure of something, he says so) - is rumouring a new Q2 available in 2019. Specs are said to be largely unchanged, but with a boost to the megapixel count.

In the long run, it seems unlikely they would have more megapixels in the Q than the M, so perhaps this indicates the direction of any future M11?

Well, did we not read here recently that with the M more Megapixels were not possible . . . .?

Edited by Alex U.

1 hour ago, Alex U. said:

Well, did we not read here recently that with the M more Megapixels were not possible . . . .?

Not me, no - I dip in and out of this forum. It's scarcely a revelation though, that more than 24 megapixels can be fitted onto a 36mm x 24mm frame sensor.

Edited by colint544

1 hour ago, Alex U. said:

We have heard that 24 mp is enough for most applications in photography but not that increasing megapixel count is not possible. 

many other manufacturers are stuffing more megapixels in similar sized bodies. 

I am only guessing here but I would think it easier to increase MP count without auto focus, IBIS, video (heat reasons), etc. 

the real question here is will a 36 MP rangefinder actually be more difficult to nail critical focus. I doubt it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dkmoore said:

[...] the real question here is will a 36 MP rangefinder actually be more difficult to nail critical focus. I doubt it.

You should not with respect, unless you don't watch your pics on screen at full magnification. 

• Like 1

And it's okay to disagree, have different experiences or perceptions.  What is even better is to at least try to understand the point the person is making, even if you disagree with it.  A bit of respect goes a long way ...

The forum does seem to be a bit cranky at the moment.  Not sure why.