M 11 will be around in less than 4 years. The speculations and facts.

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The unique LEICA rangefinder progressed from the M9 to the 240 by adding electric illumination. Then the M10 brought us, with the slim camera body, the 0.73 viewfinder of the classical M cameras.

I don‘t give up hope to have the 0.58 version (spectacles-friendly for wide-angle lenses) and a 0.85 version (ease of focusing for 50mm and longer). 

Having these two versions again would offer the perfect LEICA rangefinder experience to all of us, who prefer this special kind of photography, that is beyond competion for all  other camera brands.

The LEICA AG should give Leica-M photographers what is their core competence for over 60 years. 

If they want to compete against Sony and Canicon in the mirrorless sector, good luck with the SL2! 

But LEICA is M = rangefinder at its best.

Edited by tri
typo

Yes...but lets stay focussed on the M11 which shall probably arrive three months later. Although I do hope that they will not make this M-D body more expensive than the M10P . That would be strange, because it cannot use the touchscreen 😉

Edited by Paulus

I suppose the M10 together with ist Derivates is the last M from Leica with a classical rangefinder. I could imagine to focuse with an mechanical/optical rangefinder and 40 or 50 MP is very difficult..

And the future of cameras with an electronical finder is the L-Mount.

But Leica (we saw it on the Photokina) is very creativ and inventiv.  So let wait the next surprises.

vor 33 Minuten schrieb duoenboge:

I suppose the M10 together with ist Derivates is the last M from Leica with a classical rangefinder. I could imagine to focuse with an mechanical/optical rangefinder and 40 or 50 MP is very difficult..

And the future of cameras with an electronical finder is the L-Mount.

But Leica (we saw it on the Photokina) is very creativ and inventiv.  So let wait the next surprises.

Which creative and inventive things did you see at the Photokina on the Leica stand?

I'm not buying another M camera until they have one with at least a 36MP sensor, though I would prefer a 45MP sensor. Leica's lenses and RF mechanisms are certainly up to the demands of a higher res sensor, which would reduce moire and allow for more enlargement, cropping or correction of perspective without compromising image quality too much. Nikon and Sony are doing a fantastic job of increasing resolution while keeping noise levels low, so it can be done. While making a high res sensor for the RF is more complicated than a similar sensor for DSLR or mirrorless with more telecentric lenses than our old fashioned RF lenses, I'm sure Leica's got the engineering expertise to make such a camera a reality.

It would be great to have IBIS of some kind. I can't imagine they could fit any sort of IBIS in the M11 but you never know! A larger battery would be nice too. I've never run out with my M10 but I do have to be more vigilant which kid of sucks the joy out of it. With my 240, I could pretty much always grab it and know it would have battery left. 

Bluetooth would be good too. Faster Wifi maybe. higher MP count would be nice but I'd prefer wider DR really. 

Leica makes the most perfect small form camera and they call it an M. The camera has only one major stupid flaw- only one - and I have come to loathe and detest it. the bottom plate nonsense - as if we are all still loading a roll of film in the camera body. NO BOTTOM PLATE in M11 - please Leica!

/end rant -:)

Edited by PeterGA
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 1:46 PM, Dannybuoy said:

It would be great to have IBIS of some kind. I can't imagine they could fit any sort of IBIS in the M11 but you never know! A larger battery would be nice too. I've never run out with my M10 but I do have to be more vigilant which kid of sucks the joy out of it. With my 240, I could pretty much always grab it and know it would have battery left. 

Bluetooth would be good too. Faster Wifi maybe. higher MP count would be nice but I'd prefer wider DR really. 

Thank you very much for your order for your new camera Dan. 

Your new camera will now weigh 750 gr with battery & card and now cost 1,500 GBP more than the M 10-P

On 10/17/2018 at 8:46 AM, Dannybuoy said:

I doubt they will put in IBIS. Not for cost or weight reasons but because it would add thickness behind the sensor. One of the main selling points of the M10 was the slightly slimmer profile. I don't think they will make the camera thicker again for any reason, even a couple millimetres.

It would be great if they made an alternate modern M with EVF and IBIS, like a Leica Q with M mount. I'd buy that and I'm sure it would appeal to many people who love the tiny and great M lenses but want more creative control than a rangefinder gives.

Edited by dereken
  • Like 3

I struggle to understand the need for IBIS on an M.  Perhaps it would be more apparent if the Ms sported 40+MP,  but when I pay strict attention to technique, I have little difficulty successfully shooting Ms at far lower shutter speeds when at equivalent focal lengths than with any other cameras that I've owned.  I'd far prefer a couple more stops of DR which not only diminish the need for any image stabilization, but is useful across many more shooting situations.  

vor 12 Stunden schrieb PeterGA:

Leica makes the most perfect small form camera and they call it an M. The camera has only one major stupid flaw- only one - and I have come to loathe and detest it. the bottom plate nonsense - as if we are all still loading a roll of film in the camera body. NO BOTTOM PLATE in M11 - please Leica!

/end rant -:)

I really believe, that in al the years I had Leica M's the bottomplate was never an issue, always a challenge in a good way and always a unique way of opening the camera. The bottomplate hides IMHO the ugly-ness of a little door, in a nearby perfectly closed camera. Al it needs is a little effort and practice. Just like making a picture.  

Please keep it this way Leica. 

vor 59 Minuten schrieb Paulus:

I really believe, that in al the years I had Leica M's the bottomplate was never an issue, always a challenge in a good way and always a unique way of opening the camera. The bottomplate hides IMHO the ugly-ness of a little door, in a nearby perfectly closed camera. Al it needs is a little effort and practice. Just like making a picture.  

Please keep it this way Leica. 

The thing is, it is really impractical, cause you can’t leave a quick release plate on it, since you have to unscrew it for every battery or card change.

I love the design and asthetic of the bottom plate, but it sure is not the most practical design.

My thoughts.

• The M is a rangefinder. Let's stay with it. No need for IBIS and other in-built electronic aids. At best, better compliance with 3rd party add-on electronics via hotshoe, e.g. visoflex, flash etc.
  • If folks want an electronic camera like a Sony A7, then the M is not for them. Maybe a second line from Leica, like an interchangeable Q or a more compact SL.
  • the M11 should have the best optimized sensor possible, a fast image processor and a good sized buffer. I think 24MP is about right. Max 36MP. Better dynamic range.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SMAL said:

The thing is, it is really impractical, cause you can’t leave a quick release plate on it, since you have to unscrew it for every battery or card change

Just a note from the citizens of the WayBack era: We did well with the base-plate when we had at best 36 exposures. People with SD cards with giga exposures who complain  should take a deep breath and consider how we did so well. You can just suck it up.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3