M 11 will be around in less than 4 years. The speculations and facts.

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2,2" x 2,2" sensor in classic M body,

15 frames /sec,

AF with all Leitz lenses from 1929 on,

theses are minimun requirements I have to a M11.

Guys, what are You speculating? Get out & take pics with Your outdated m8,M9,M240 and so on....

Thomas

Edited by duckrider
  • Like 2

Interesting is all the talk about sooner is better, and also projections of four years.

How long do you all expect to live?

I don't expect anything, but wish you all a long life in good health. See it a late New Years wish.  :)

• Like 3

- M11 a la carte on day one!

- 1000+ shots battery like the M240, so we don't need to carry a spare.

- 8000 shutter speed and/or 50 base ISO so we don't need to carry ND filters.

- a quieter shutter.

- a nicer designed camera back without so much plastic.

- a split level in the viewfinder that can easily be turned on and off.

- faster Wi-fi connection setup. Too many steps on the M10 to make a connection.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me the biggest change I would like to see is a sensor with a bit more resolution. I think 36 MP would be great. It may seem counter intuitive, but a higher resolution sensor reduces the possibility of moire as diffraction kicks in earlier and acts as a natural anti-aliasing filter. I would also like to see a better external EVF, but that is somewhat separate from the M11 and I expect will naturally happen. Further reducing lag and blackout would be nice additions as well. I would also love to see continued improvement in the optical viewfinder. The improvements in the M10 are great, but as an eyeglass wearer with astigmatism I would love to see it be even bigger. The M10 looks to be great in responsiveness and speed, small improvements in start up time and waking up from sleep, and increased buffer size (which may be an issue if the resolution is increased) would be welcome too. I'm not sure I want the resolution increase if it slows the camera down.

I would not want to see video added as in my view the M cameras are ill suited for video and adding a feature that can't perform at a high level, adds to the weight and complexity of the camera, and can be done so much better by other cameras even from the same manufacturer (see the SL) doesn't make much sense to me. Said another way adding video doesn't make any more sense to me than adding autofocus. Both are out of place on an M camera, IMO. I also wouldn't want to see the electronic level added back to the camera. It is a small thing, but the device that is required to make it work (at least if I understand it correctly) would add some weight back and although I have had cameras with this feature I literally have never used it. If I care about precise leveling, then I use a tripod and then I use an actual level with liquid and bubbles, which is far superior in my view as you can check leveling both horizontally and in terms of tilt, it is very easy to read, and it costs less than $20 bucks. Better yet you can remove it and leave it home if you know you won't need it. I don't need a level built into my camera. When less than precise leveling is required, I can get within a degree or two quite easily with grid lines and any tiny mistakes I might make are super easy to clean up in Lightroom or Photoshop with very close to zero loss being lost in the image.

• Like 4

Oh, I do have a wish: bring video back, if possible in such a discrete manner as not to upset the more traditional users. Consider the tradition of the Leica Travel Camera as promoted by Dr.Paul Wolff; he carried an extra cine camera to supplement his Leica travel photography.

It is evident that video takes up a lot of space in the camera body. M240 w/ video = fat body, M10 w/o video = slim body  ;)  ;)  ;)

• Like 1

I have no idea what it will be but I can say what I'd like it to be:

hard tether - usb3 via an optional grip. This is a fundamental need, IMO.

resolution - 50 would be good. 40 will do, I guess.

video - given video works well with HDMI, the function could be incorporated into the grip so to keep non video M users happy, or otherwise just hide it with a programable button or menu function. Everyone has video on their phone and I don't hear anyone asking to talk it off because it offends them.

battery - get it back to where it was. The option of a battery grip would be, IMO, very desirable.

Edited by Paul J

video - given video works well with HDMI, the function could be incorporated into the grip so to keep non video M users happy, or otherwise just hide it with a programable button or menu function. Everyone has video on their phone and I don't hear anyone asking to talk it off because it offends them.

battery - get it back to where it was. The option of a battery grip would be, IMO, very desirable.

Sound like to me you are describing the next SL, not the next M. I think that would be a fundamentally different camera.

• Like 2

Global shutter - so completely silent;  but you can turn on a shutter noise sound that makes it sound like a M3 complete with gear chain effects at slow speeds.

Agreed - totally silent.

But please may I have this as my alternative shutter noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlPbhGeMu4U

• Like 1

Sounds like to me I'm describing what the M 240 should have been. It's really not fundamental different at all.

Perhaps, but Leica has clearly moved on and now we have the SL and the new M10. I think you may get a camera a fair bit like the one you desire, but it is more likely to be the next generation of the SL. There might even be a smaller mirrorless camera that is closer to what you desire as well. I just don't think or want the M11 to be anything like the camera you describe. I like the divergence in Leica's camera line up and I think they can make both of us happy and I hope they will.

Edited by Steve Spencer
  • Like 1

I think, first we will see a SL2 with more resolution. Then the M11 could come also with higher resolution.

I think it will happen quite promptly, in the next 2-3 years. The nice slim body will hopfully stay. Imho the M10 is only a interim appearance; the step ahead will be the M11.

Hard tether seems ultra important to you, it is not to me but I understand your needs. On the other hand wired connectivity is a dead technology. Wireless is the future. But the current WiFi solution in the M is not adequate. What I want is the same simplicity as the apple airpods, the same no nonsens always working connectivity over bluetooth between my car and my smartphone to stream music. It works instantaniously when I enter my car without fidling with the menu or settings on my phone, or waiting for connectivity or losing connectivity when my phone goes to sleep. If current bluetooth or wifi technology does not allow for transfering dng's to my laptop or desktop in the same seemless manner as my phone streams music to my car or to my wireless headset, I'm glad to wait for it, but usb3 is so old school to me. Again Leica's current WiFi implementation is not there yet as an alternative.

Resolution 40 or 50. Ok but I would prefer improved iso, dynamic range etc and THEN and only THEN more resolution. Just me.

Video. I have other options for snapshot video than the M. For professionall video I do not know if M is the ultimate platform besides providing fantastic lenses.

Battery. I'm with you 100%. Most dslr grips offer enhanced battery capacity, why not in the M grip?

Edited by Stef63
  • Like 1

Hard tether seems ultra important to you, it is not to me but I understand your needs. On the other hand wired connectivity is a dead technology. Wireless is the future. But the current WiFi solution in the M is not adequate. What I want is the same simplicity as the apple airpods, the same no nonsens always working connectivity over bluetooth between my car and my smartphone to stream music. It works instantaniously when I enter my car without fidling with the menu or settings on my phone, or waiting for connectivity or losing connectivity when my phone goes to sleep. If current bluetooth or wifi technology does not allow for transfering dng's to my laptop or desktop in the same seemless manner as my phone streams music to my car or to my wireless headset, I'm glad to wait for it, but usb3 is so old school to me. Again Leica's current WiFi implementation is not there yet as an alternative.

Resolution 40 or 50. Ok but I would prefer improved iso, dynamic range etc and THEN and only THEN more resolution. Just me.

Video. I have other options for snapshot video than the M. For professionall video I do not know if M is the ultimate platform besides providing fantastic lenses.

Battery. I'm with you 100%. Most dslr grips offer enhanced battery capacity, why not in the M grip?

Yeah everyone has a different take so it's tricky.

Hard tether is not dead technology. It's the industry standard and will be for some time until wifi can deliver a 50-100mp Raw file in 1 second, is totally reliable and rock solid with no drop outs. It can't even deliver a 22 or 10MP RAW file for that matter. Until then tethering is needed, and if it was in a grip, like it was, people who aren't interested in it don't have to concern themselves with it. FWIW I would prefer wireless.

We already have Improved dynamic range and ISO and an upgrade in resolution is overdue. For my needs and uses I don't need for more dynamic range or higher ISO than my M9. Just more resolution.

Having another option for video is all well and good but having at the ready right at your shutter finger is far better. Not in a bag and another body to carry around and then have to fiddle about with lenses - the moment is lost already. The video, as it was in the 240, was limited and average but not everything needs to have the quality of a Hollywood feature film and I would much rather have it for the times I need it.

I think a Leicavit sized grip with AA batteries or better if they'd fit, would be great. 

• Like 1