M 11 will be around in less than 4 years. The speculations and facts.

Paulus

• 2 weeks later...

1. Of course a next gen sensor with improved ISO and DNR capabilities (24MB is fine with me).

2. LCD touch screen flush with body.

3. Yes...an advance lever (with a 'clever' function besides thumb rest).

4. Focus confirmation in OVF (if technically possible).

5. Increased battery life.

6. Faster wake-up time.

7. Lighter body, slightly lower body (M6 classic dimensions).

8. Improved ISO knob.

9. Round buttons at the back side, looks better in my view (similar to M9).

10. Bigger D-pad/wheel (similar to M9).

Please keep the frame selector lever!

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Paulus said:

why? Whats wrong with the curtain we have? 

Few problems,

1) It has huge lag when we use EVF/LV.  The curtain has to close, take the shot then open again.  That's a second+ betwwen each shot. (it's not a problem when using only RF)

2) C mode is completely blind when using EVF/LV

3) light meter discrepancy, the reading is inconsistent between using EVF/LV and RF.  I think it is the reflection from the curtain is very different comparing to the sensor's reading.

4) it is noisy and expensive to maintain

5) shutter speed limit to 1/4000 second, it can't go wide open in bring daylight without ND filter. 

The only upside is less dust on the sensor. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaeger said:

Few problems,

1) It has huge lag when we use EVF/LV.  The curtain has to close, take the shot then open again.  That's a second+ betwwen each shot. (it's not a problem when using only RF)

2) C mode is completely blind when using EVF/LV

3) light meter discrepancy, the reading is inconsistent between using EVF/LV and RF.  I think it is the reflection from the curtain is very different comparing to the sensor's reading.

4) it is noisy and expensive to maintain

5) shutter speed limit to 1/4000 second, it can't go wide open in bring daylight without ND filter. 

The only upside is less dust on the sensor. 

And no distortion of fast-moving objects.

• Like 3

I think I would agree with Jaap's comments about rangefinders and personally I prefer using the rangefinder to conventional focussing in most situations.

Probably the thing I would look for would be to be able to order through the a la carte a camera with a viewfinder that matched as close as possible the M3 viewfinder, with it's 1:1 ratio, as without being selfish in judgements that would facilitate fast and accurate focussing, allowing for the fact that not everyone has perfect eyesight or access to a prescription loupe (and anyway the efficient use of a camera shouldn't demand detail perfect eyesight any more than it might demand ideal lighting conditions).

Sorry about the split infinitives to go with the split image...😉

Edited by robert_parker

On 2/3/2017 at 11:47 AM, sumolux said:

Indeed, I cannot understand how film Leica shooters were ever able to focus an M without electronics!

That's why all pictures taken before the digital M are never sharp.

Automation of every detail is the only way to enrich the art of photgraphy  ;)

Oh Dear. After twenty--five years of professional use of the M system I now must hear that none of all my pictures were ever sharp. Good Lord, that I didn't see that, nor my editors. 

http://www.roelvisser.nl

Edited by roelv1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, papimuzo said:

I disagree with that...😉 I like this speed impression. Remember the pictures we could see of cars-racing in the first quarter of the XXe century: the large ovoidal weels raging!

I'm not convinced that it would be to my taste... 

Mechanical shutter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Electronic shutter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jaapv said:

And no distortion of fast-moving objects.

That's turn Jaapv and I agree,  hmmm... but how often do you shoot a rotating propeller engine?  I love RF as most people here and taking advantages of it "at normal situations".  However RF hits it's limitation such as long range or in low light environment while summilux or noctilux shines.  At the dark, RF at best is able to align the silhouette of my subject but often time off by inches to what supposed to be (eyes are few inches closer than the shoulder for example).  Maybe I should say keeping both shutter mode but option to select electronic shutter only.  Base on available technology, I think it's not too much to ask?

23 minutes ago, jaeger said:

[...] Maybe I should say keeping both shutter mode but option to select electronic shutter only.  Base on available technology, I think it's not too much to ask?

Most if not all modern cameras can do that. Problem is M doesn't mean modernity at Leica's... 

1 hour ago, lct said:

Most if not all modern cameras can do that. Problem is M doesn't mean modernity at Leica's... 

It's not up to one's brand image to dump me down, Leica introduce fast lenses for the low light photography but not providing proper solution.  Someone probably supports Leica to negate C mode and self timer on M10 to maintain a classic and not modernity brand image.  But I don't.

Edited by jaeger

19 minutes ago, jaeger said:

It's not up to one's brand image to dump me down, Leica introduce fast lenses for the low light photography but not providing proper solution.  Someone probably supports Leica to negate C mode and self timer on M10 to maintain a classic and not modernity brand image.  But I don't.

Neither do I. Not sure that many people agree with me/us though. I gave up personally. I stick to my old Ms and buy elsewhere when i need a tool instead of a retro camera. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jaeger said:

That's turn Jaapv and I agree,  hmmm... but how often do you shoot a rotating propeller engine?  I love RF as most people here and taking advantages of it "at normal situations".  However RF hits it's limitation such as long range or in low light environment while summilux or noctilux shines.  At the dark, RF at best is able to align the silhouette of my subject but often time off by inches to what supposed to be (eyes are few inches closer than the shoulder for example).  Maybe I should say keeping both shutter mode but option to select electronic shutter only.  Base on available technology, I think it's not too much to ask?

I'm not so sure - I cannot say that I am deeply impressed by the focusing experience on an EVF in the dark and shooting red beams at the subject with AF is not very elegant either...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lct said:

Neither do I. Not sure that many people agree with me/us though. I gave up personally. I stick to my old Ms and buy elsewhere when i need a tool instead of a retro camera. 

I stuck with my M as well and am looking for a second camera that can handicap whatever M can't do.

Oh but wait... having both electronically and mechanically shutter doesn't cost arms and legs nor affecting the appearance of the M.  What does it have to do with "modern" not modern?     

37 minutes ago, jaeger said:

Oh but wait... having both electronically and mechanically shutter doesn't cost arms and legs nor affecting the appearance of the M.  What does it have to do with "modern" not modern?

The answer is in the question above i guess. « What's wrong with the curtain we have? » Curtain... 😊. Reminds me of the good old times. Hard to win against that.