A few months in, how is the M-D ?

colonel

More élaborated (from a mail return to a question asked):

As expressed in some posts related to the M-D, I am perfectly satisfied. I owned all the list of Leica digital (from M8 I still use, passing throught M9 M9P M240 M240P... no I'm not Cresus: I sold every model before buying a new one) and at last I recover from my old dream: to have a M6 equivalent in digital. That is exatly what :D I feel when using the M-D. I can't get any disturbance or insatisfaction. It is a total pleasure.

I must admit that I practiced the photo since... 50 years so the absence of a scren was never an handicap. And having made use of the "humid" lab in the bath room, digital was a relaxing peace.

Go for the M-D, you will never desappointed. Good pictures. :)

• Like 3

thanks. yes I know that people who are happy often avoid posting and those who are not often don't !!!

The reason for this question on the M-D is that it needs a leap of faith in some respects.

So it appeals immensely to me now, but I was wondering whether anyone had that same feeling but then in the cold hard light of usage they really missed the screen.

Of course I shoot film so this is not new to me as such

I have to say I have only seen good things written about the M-D by owners but that's of course no indication of anything  ....

65 views, 0 replies. Speaks for itself.

Yes, it means that sixty-five people wanted to see if any M-D users had responded between 3:54 am and 8:09 am today (california time). It means nothing regard an evaluation of the M-D. 

Just wondered guys/girls

I am still thinking of buying one of these

After a few months of ownership (+/-) do you still love it ?

I've been using it since July 2016. It is now my favorite M camera, film or digital. Utterly simple to use, fast in operation, excellent image quality, etc etc. Until the M-D, the M4-2 was my favorite M camera; the M-D is like having an M4-2 with the added improvement of the M6 TTL metering and the M7 ability to use aperture priority metering automation, with the benefit of having a winder built in, and the ability to adjust ISO setting on a frame by frame basis. It restores the film Ms' handling feel by not occluding the back of the camera with buttons and LCD, making it easier to pick up and hold, use, without  pressing a control setting inadvertently or getting fingerprints on the viewfinder. 

I love this M. I hope Leica keeps making an M in this concept ... the substantive improvements to the M10 sensor and viewfinder would benefit the M-D very nicely. I don't want an M10 ... I want an M-D10: A simple, honest M with the very best M optical viewfinder and sensor. Meantime, I'll continue to enjoy and use my M-D. :-)

• Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Second that!

I have waited for  the M-D for over 10 years.  To me it is the perfect camera.  

It works perfectly with every lens that I have, old to new.  Using it gives the sense of creative freedom that I have missed.  Using a body without screen is much (MUCH!) nicer and more ergonomic to handle. It just slips into your hand and rises to the eye.  No distraction.  It has all the controls you could need, and the ISO wheel is intuitive, quick and easy.  I just have to take it with me all the time.  No one seems to take notice of it, it is really quiet. To me it feels like 'coming home'.  Using it gives me the that nice warm and fuzzy feeling...I think you get what I mean.   Thank you Leica.

I don't want an M10 ... I want an M-D10: A simple, honest M with the very best M optical viewfinder and sensor. Meantime, I'll continue to enjoy and use my M-D. :-)

• Like 3

In fact I should have said 70 years (not 50) practicing the photography (Oh Dear :rolleyes: ) Always as amateur.

Here is my first camera. You will understand that the absence of a screen is not a problem.

I liked anyway the different progres made in the digital area, yes, I understand that a screen is also invaluable for the majority. YMMV

Good pictures to all.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by papimuzo
  • Like 3

My favourite Leica M to date, and I have used the lot, M2, M3, M4, M6, M7, MP, M-A, M8, M9, MM (ver.1), M240, M262 (with screen) the M-D has it all...which is....nothing...!!, No mumbo jumbo... just plain photographic joy. And I just love the anticipation after a whole day of shooting and getting back and "develop" the images in the "Light Darkroom" It's just as fun as with film, only much more convenient, quicker, with no chemicals and the ability to change ISO on the move, and of course an "unlimited" amount of images on your roll of film...pure joy...Highly Recommended...!!

Here's mine:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And a picture from it:

Edited by atufte
  • Like 17

My M-D is my favorite camera, the one I almost always reach for when I leave the apartment. Even though my Q (and X-Pro2) do better in the dark of the subway or night, where many of my shots come from. I shoot mostly with a Summilux 35 pre-ASPH. I am in line for an M10. I'm interested to see what happens when it arrives.

I allways had arguments for occasional use of the display (mainly for checking exposure) but I can see the temtation to shoot without a display.

I am happy with the M10 (and was with the M262 displa version) but I fully understand you guys with the MD.

I might go one step further and shoot film with my old M6 sometimes.

• Like 1

thanks. yes I know that people who are happy often avoid posting and those who are not often don't !!!

The reason for this question on the M-D is that it needs a leap of faith in some respects.

So it appeals immensely to me now, but I was wondering whether anyone had that same feeling but then in the cold hard light of usage they really missed the screen.

Of course I shoot film so this is not new to me as such

I have to say I have only seen good things written about the M-D by owners but that's of course no indication of anything  ....

I've used my M-D heavily for the past month or so and I really enjoy it.  It is freeing to eliminate all the fidgety complexities of more complex cameras.  For me, the M-D and 35 lens is my take-along camera, bringing back the thrill of the M6.  It required a bit more thought to predict the outcome and I enjoy that.  I'll keep using my Nikon equipment too.  But the Leica is wonderful to shoot.  After several hundred images I can tell you very few didn't turn out as I expected.  I had to reacquaint myself with the simple central metering and the range finder, which I've always loved.  Not having the blackout and mirror slap is a wonderful thing...

I've used my M-D heavily for the past month or so and I really enjoy it.  It is freeing to eliminate all the fidgety complexities of more complex cameras.  For me, the M-D and 35 lens is my take-along camera, bringing back the thrill of the M6.  It required a bit more thought to predict the outcome and I enjoy that.  I'll keep using my Nikon equipment too.  But the Leica is wonderful to shoot.  After several hundred images I can tell you very few didn't turn out as I expected.  I had to reacquaint myself with the simple central metering and the range finder, which I've always loved.  Not having the blackout and mirror slap is a wonderful thing...

Yes, that exactly. I take my M-D out with me every day as head from the West Village to my office in Midtown. I take pictures during the day but I've stopped reaching for my iPhone SD card reader and now don't review my photos until I get home in the evening and pour myself a glass of wine—or whiskey or whatever exactly the day's experience demands.

• Like 3

Just wondered guys/girls

I am still thinking of buying one of these

After a few months of ownership (+/-) do you still love it ?

Just a quick tip, I've been told by reliable source that the M-D will be out of production (or is already?) and it's not even mentioned in the new Leica M catalog that got published just a few weeks ago. This is a side note from our conversation... 

"buy it now while there is a few left...very few was produced, actually less than the M60 edition, and this will make the prices skyrocket in the near future."

I really hope this is not right, because way more people deserves to get this wonderful camera.

I can't believe that there is not a marked for such a camera...people have asked for this camera for years and years on various forums, polls etc... very strange, but most likely, they will mainly focus on the M10 platform, and of course a M10D will not be released before the end of the line for that model...as they always do

Edited by atufte
  • Like 1

Just a quick tip, I've been told by reliable source that the M-D will be out of production (or is already?) and it's not even mentioned in the new Leica M catalog that got published just a few weeks ago. This is a side note from our conversation... 

"buy it now while there is a few left...very few was produced, actually less than the M60 edition, and this will make the prices skyrocket in the near future."

I really hope this is not right, because way more people deserves to get this wonderful camera.

I can't believe that there is not a marked for such a camera...people have asked for this camera for years and years on various forums, polls etc... very strange, but most likely, they will mainly focus on the M10 platform, and of course a M10D will not be released before the end of the line for that model...as they always do

It's always dangerous to take things out of context, but read this statement from the Leica Rumors interview with Stefan Daniel (Director of Product Management) and Jesko von Oeyenhausen (Product Manager of Leica M) conducted by Enche Tjin:

http://leicarumors.com/2017/01/29/leica-m10-interview-why-no-video-where-is-the-typ-label-compressed-dng-files-and-more.aspx/

Q: ISO dial – How did that come about?

A (Jesko): The Leica M-D was the camera that show us this workflow earlier. prove to be very effective because of the ISO dial.

Note that the M-D is referred to in the past tense. And considering products as experiments—something I strongly advocate—the M-D can be considered a very fruitful experiment. As an M-D owner I don't know how I'll respond to the M10, but If I'm going on a trip and can take two cameras, I won't be surprised if I reach for my Q and my (soon to be) M10. And at that point the M-D will become a cherished artifact that I'll take out once in a while, to fondle or use as a back-up.