Yet Another Bag question

ECohen

Domke F5XB or the F8.....The F8 is a better choice I think.

The bags are inexpensive, tough and if bought second hand they look banged up right away and thus not so attractive to bag snatchers.

They're not flashy but are really good workhorses. I must have 8-9 of them in various shapes and sizes for various tasks and kits and they've lasted well through years of pro' work.

Never had a gear problem with them, ever.

Edited by Guest

Anyone have a Billingham Digital Hadley..... ?????

Will it nicely hold an M240 with a 50mm f/2 lens attached, a 90mm f/2.8 and a 28mm f/2.8? I'm expecting to store a lens on either side and put the camera on top with the attached lens hanging down? Does this configuration seem safe? Will it all fit?

From pictures of the bag it look like it was designed to be used this way?

Yes, I have used this bag for M9 and M240. It holds two lenses on top of each other on one side, and the M240 either sideways or with lens downwards depending on size of lens. I carry this comabination: 90/4 Macro + WATE + 35/1,4 FLE + M240. I addition the front pocket holds 2 spare batteriee, EVF, 2 filters, cleaning paper, Swiss Arcam plate and small pouch for 8 cards and som other stuff.

For *me* this is the ultomate bag, its also small enough to fit inside a small bacpack (http://www.fjallraven.no/kanken-laptop-17)

I use cheap neopren pouches for added protection of lenses. Its actually one of my best purchases (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neoprene-DSLR-Camera-Lens-Soft-Protector-Pouch-Bag-Case-Padded-S-M-L-XL-XXL-New-/322120018552?var=&hash=item4affd96a78:m:mMupSe-NZwqvMD2T5hxp_tQ) .

P.S. posted a answer before reading this, sorry.

Anyone have a Billingham Digital Hadley..... ?????

Will it nicely hold an M240 with a 50mm f/2 lens attached, a 90mm f/2.8 and a 28mm f/2.8?

I'm expecting to store a lens on either side and put the camera on top with the attached lens hanging down?

Does this configuration seem safe? Will it all fit?

From pictures of the bag it look like it was designed to be used this way?

That's what I have and it works fine.

In fact, I have the the digital viewfinder on the bottom of the case.

You can get a pouch to fit on the side too.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks to everyone for all your help and advice

I just ordered a Digital Hadley
Its considerably cheaper to order direct from Billingham in the  UK?
Weird that the US mail order company's B&H /Amazon can't compete....even with free shipping?

I'll probably also get a Domke 5A for times when I want to carry even less.

My wife buys shoes and earrings  ....I like bags....and lenses ;-)

I am starting to get a collection of barely used camera bags that I should probably give to someone who will use them

Again my sincere thanks to all.

• Like 2

small camera bags look too much like "manbags" if you are only carrying one body two lenses camera bandolier style and the other lens in pocket or get a domke/thinktank/newswear pouch.

Peakdesign field pouch holds a lens or two quite nicely too

Or can be stuffed with 3 lenses, notebook, pen, lenscloth etc

The range pouch should hold one lens quite nicely

Edited by Echo63

I like a nice "Man Bag"

I've been caring a camera bag for 45 years not much difference between a man bag a lady's purse or a camera bag. I'm very comfortable with my feminine side.......and have no problem holding my wife's purse in the grocery store....or on outings. The other day my wife showed me a new purse she was thinking about ....I smiled and said  I had a camera bag just like that in the late 1970's ...I dug out a well worn leather bag and darn if it wasn't almost the same bag.

Although my wife said when I bought my last camera bag the she never spends that much for any of her bags........it made me laugh.

And think think that if I ever pull the trigger on a Noctilux I'll have to buy her a Sapphire Ring.....to match.

• Like 3

I second the Domke F5XB.

As with all bags I have purchased, it was an act of desperation and frustration. I lucked out with this one. Normal useful bag life, in my case, was about a month. Two years on, it is still in use. As I recall, it was fairly inexpensive. It is adequate.

I like the domke f5xb but don't like the label which is pretty indiscrete for a discrete bag. I also like the ruggedwear finish but would prefer a black strap with it (think they did this as a limited edition a while back).

Currently use a&a acam 7100 but with the red protectors removed (other than base) and a Tenba byob 7 inside for the protection. Fits m240 with 50 or 35 mounted and the other lens in the tenba too

Edited by Surelythisnameisfree

So Foggs are my favorites, followed closely by Billinghams.  I especially appreciate the softer, smoother interiors.  Something not mentioned on the thread, yet much less expensive, are some of the offerings from Crumpler.  I used these in my pre- and early neo-Leica days and found them very well padded if a little bulky.

Eric

Domke F5XB bags are good in many ways but poor in others - I have a waxed canvas one. 

+ light

+ weatherproof

+ broad nonslip strap

+ double seal of flap and zip

+ scruffy, street look

- no padding at the ends, a serious failing. The other padding is not great either.

- noisy velcro; I removed mine and added two magnetic catches instead.

- big brand label; also removed

- zip can make access difficult

I use it when I'm in open country and want weather/dust protection. For cities, cafes etc I use a custom stiff leather bag of similar size which can take kicks and knocks but is less well sealed.

• Like 1

The best bag I've ever found is the new old stock CCS Burghley Heritage I came across by chance a couple of years ago. Still sealed in polythene with swing tickets and silica gel and never been touched. Cost to me was £54.

Superior bag to a Hadley Pro, imo. A great shame CCS went out of business.

You might check out the Bare Bones Evolution bag, a mini-messenger bag optimized for Leica and similar. I've used a black one for years. It resembles the Leica shooter's bag from the 70's, except with padded dividers, sides and bottom. The bag curls around your side instead of bouncing against you. I silence the velcro flap closures with bits of gaffer tape when I'm using it, but allow them to seal for transport. 

https://figitalrevolution.com/bare-bones-bag-camera-bag-leica-lomo-lca-zeiss-rangefinder/

Not a luxury item...it's meant to look anonymous and generic... but designed for function by Steven Schaub, a Leica shooter, and very well-made by his friends in Vermont.