Where are the Batteries for the M10?

glenerrolrd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I ordered a battery last night - and went back to look and I must have had the last one. I agree that this is the same old story. 

I don't really understand. If the camera was still being tested right to the deadline - then so be it. SO delay the launch a month and then let the stock build up. They shipped a handful of cameras to stores so the people in the know and some leica sponsored pro's can get their hands on one and start instagramming their new shots.. but yes, same old. 

Why the EVF is in short supply who knows. I was watching one on eBay (used slightly) selling for more than a new one!

We do love it though. 

Some of the accessories are arriving in the US ...but not batteries ,correction eyepieces or Viso .  BH has the case in black or RED for those looking for one .  It will 4-6 weeks before Luigi or Arti Mano deliver .  You can get an adapter to use the old eyepieces and magnifiers but it narrows the view ...works but not ideal .  

My intent is to put together a serious kit that can handle a few weeks in the field street shooting .  To do that I feel I need adequate batteries .  Until then I can work on reestablishing my post processing ..always a joy with a new Leica and Adobe ...and limit the M10 to shoots that can be handled on one battery per camera .  

Really depends on where you are shooting and your technique ...I could get by with a place to recharge mid day but some of my fellow shooters will hit 6-800 captures in a few hours ...and thats because they are faster than I am and not just spray and pray .  This would work in NYC but not as easy in Havana .  

Well he has at least my sympathy. This is the old-Leica all over again. They are slow in delivery of items they control, they are even slower in placing orders for items they source from other manufacturers. Stefan Daniel told that Leica started with the development of the M10 two years ago. How difficult can it be to look into the history of sales of spare batteries of previous digital M models and order them in time to cope with initial demand?

Same with the EVF. Availability is non-existing. It's a product they sell for a long time for the T. They just had to order extra inventory in time for the launch of the M10.

Same with the half case. I picked up my M10 this morning. No half case available, could take weeks who knows. In the mean time the Luigi's and Arte Di Mano's are working against the clock to satisfy these early M10 owners who want a half case for protecting their camera. Leica had months of advance in developing the case where the third party manufacturers could start the process only days after Jan 18th.

I think Leica is loosing opportunities to sell stuff to people who have the chance to get an M10 early and to me there is no excuse for it. Except that it's like it used to be and like they ran their business in the past. Look at the availability timeframe of the M240 grip, the R to M adapter...

This has nothing to do with the excuse "Leica is a small company". It takes only one guy to remember IN time to source all the accessories they get from other manufacturers. With the new factory I had hopes for a change for the products they manufacture themselves and must admit I thought for a moment that with announcement of availability soon after the launch of the M10 there was hope we could stop thinking in Leitzyears. But they still have a lot of work to do to get there.

So all in all those with an M10 and no extra battery have my sympathy as well as those still waiting for the camera... that's even worse.

After the armchair CEO do we now have an armchair Logistics Manager?

Edited by Maarten
  • Like 2

Well he has at least my sympathy.  This is the old-Leica all over again.  They are slow in delivery of items they control, they are even slower in placing orders for items they source from other manufacturers.  Stefan Daniel told that Leica  started with the development of the M10 two years ago.  How difficult can it be to look into the history of sales of spare batteries of previous digital M models and order them in time to cope with initial demand?  

Same with the EVF.  Availability is non-existing.  It's a product they sell for a long time for the T.  They just had to order extra inventory in time for the launch of the M10.  

Same with the half case.  I picked up my M10 this morning.  No half case available, could take weeks who knows.  In the mean time the Luigi's and Arte Di Mano's are working against the clock to satisfy these early M10 owners who want a half case for protecting their camera.  Leica had months of advance in developing the case where the third party manufacturers could start the process only days after Jan 18th.  

I think Leica is loosing opportunities to sell stuff to people who have the chance to get an M10 early and to me there is no excuse for it.  Except that it's like it used to be and like they ran their business in the past.  Look at the availability timeframe of the M240 grip, the R to M adapter...  

This has nothing to do with the excuse "Leica is a small company".  It takes only one guy to remember IN time to source all the accessories they get from other manufacturers.  With the new factory I had hopes for a change for the products they manufacture themselves and must admit I thought for a moment that with announcement of availability soon after the launch of the M10 there was hope we could stop thinking in Leitzyears.  But they still have a lot of work to do to get there. 

So all in all those with an M10 and no extra battery have my sympathy as well as those still waiting for the camera... that's even worse.

Sounds like Leica has cash flow issues.

Yea, I heard they have to turn half the lights off in the new Leitz Park to save energy...this might explain why some cameras are defective. The techs have to squint when assembling the cameras. :)

While this might sound funny too you, this is how stupid internet rumours arise.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Yea, I heard they have to turn half the lights off in the new Leitz Park to save energy...this might explain why some cameras are defective. The techs have to squint when assembling the cameras. :)

I heard that they've installed a solar power system at the Park, but someone forgot to order the batteries.

While this might sound funny too you, this is how stupid internet rumours arise.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Yikes Steve...forget the coffee this morning?

Maybe you missed the :) and the post I quoted...which I was making fun of.

If anyone took this seriously, then shame on them.

Edited by digitalfx

For those wondering why it takes way longer for batteries to arrive it's because of shipping/freight restrictions. For reasons similar reasons to why airlines didn't allow people to turn on their Cellular/WiFi radios on the airplane until they started offering a service for a fee, most freight/shipping companies do not ship batteries by air but will ship products with batteries inside the package by air.

As a result, the cameras with a battery shipped with the product can be shipped by air while the batteries shipped by themselves must be shipped by ground or worse - slow boat. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is in the industry and every electronics manufacturer is constrained by the same rules.

For those wondering why it takes way longer for batteries to arrive it's because of shipping/freight restrictions. For reasons similar reasons to why airlines didn't allow people to turn on their Cellular/WiFi radios on the airplane until they started offering a service for a fee, most freight/shipping companies do not ship batteries by air but will ship products with batteries inside the package by air.

As a result, the cameras with a battery shipped with the product can be shipped by air while the batteries shipped by themselves must be shipped by ground or worse - slow boat. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is in the industry and every electronics manufacturer is constrained by the same rules.

This. Not to mention that Leica isn't making the batteries.

I remember when we received our last drone the batteries took a month to arrive. They had to ship them all from China via cargo (no air)...or maybe that was just an excuse and DJI has cash flow problems too :)

* :) denotes this later part is a joke.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1