Where are the Batteries for the M10?

glenerrolrd

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No extra batteries for the M10 available in the USA ?  Makes you wonder what Leica was thinking .  They  introduce the camera ,ship it quickly ....excellent ! But no batteries render it useless for many applications .  How do you travel with one battery ?  

The batteries are made by Varta and cost $175 each in the USA.  

:wub:

No extra batteries for the M10 available in the USA ?  Makes you wonder what Leica was thinking .  They  introduce the camera ,ship it quickly ....excellent ! But no batteries render it useless for many applications .  How do you travel with one battery ?

I appreciate it's not ideal but I rather doubt the camera is really that "useless for many applications" with only the one battery.

As for travel, you can always take the charger with you and top up the battery at opportune times or do you plan to be stalking the streets 24 hours a day?

Edited by wattsy

You can always order two cameras if the lack of a spare battery is such a life or death showstopper. 

I did order two cameras and have them both .   Its about 200 captures per battery .   Not at all unusual to have near 400 captures in one long day (until I could get back to hotel and charge ) . Its never life or death just impractical .  

Haven t we all had times that we forgot to charge fully and were saved by a spare battery ?  

I am simply trying to find a few batteries and this is the place to ask .

I'm sure you have everyone's deepest sympathy.

Well he has at least my sympathy.  This is the old-Leica all over again.  They are slow in delivery of items they control, they are even slower in placing orders for items they source from other manufacturers.  Stefan Daniel told that Leica  started with the development of the M10 two years ago.  How difficult can it be to look into the history of sales of spare batteries of previous digital M models and order them in time to cope with initial demand?  

Same with the EVF.  Availability is non-existing.  It's a product they sell for a long time for the T.  They just had to order extra inventory in time for the launch of the M10.  

Same with the half case.  I picked up my M10 this morning.  No half case available, could take weeks who knows.  In the mean time the Luigi's and Arte Di Mano's are working against the clock to satisfy these early M10 owners who want a half case for protecting their camera.  Leica had months of advance in developing the case where the third party manufacturers could start the process only days after Jan 18th.  

I think Leica is loosing opportunities to sell stuff to people who have the chance to get an M10 early and to me there is no excuse for it.  Except that it's like it used to be and like they ran their business in the past.  Look at the availability timeframe of the M240 grip, the R to M adapter...  

This has nothing to do with the excuse "Leica is a small company".  It takes only one guy to remember IN time to source all the accessories they get from other manufacturers.  With the new factory I had hopes for a change for the products they manufacture themselves and must admit I thought for a moment that with announcement of availability soon after the launch of the M10 there was hope we could stop thinking in Leitzyears.  But they still have a lot of work to do to get there. 

So all in all those with an M10 and no extra battery have my sympathy as well as those still waiting for the camera... that's even worse.

• Like 3

Well he has at least my sympathy.  This is the old-Leica all over again.  They are slow in delivery of items they control, they are even slower in placing orders for items they source from other manufacturers.  Stefan Daniel told that Leica  started with the development of the M10 two years ago.  How difficult can it be to look into the history of sales of spare batteries of previous digital M models and order them in time to cope with initial demand?  

Same with the EVF.  Availability is non-existing.  It's a product they sell for a long time for the T.  They just had to order extra inventory in time for the launch of the M10.  

Same with the half case.  I picked up my M10 this morning.  No half case available, could take weeks who knows.  In the mean time the Luigi's and Arte Di Mano's are working against the clock to satisfy these early M10 owners who want a half case for protecting their camera.  Leica had months of advance in developing the case where the third party manufacturers could start the process only days after Jan 18th.  

I think Leica is loosing opportunities to sell stuff to people who have the chance to get an M10 early and to me there is no excuse for it.  Except that it's like it used to be and like they ran their business in the past.  Look at the availability timeframe of the M240 grip, the R to M adapter...  

This has nothing to do with the excuse "Leica is a small company".  It takes only one guy to remember IN time to source all the accessories they get from other manufacturers.  With the new factory I had hopes for a change for the products they manufacture themselves and must admit I thought for a moment that with announcement of availability soon after the launch of the M10 there was hope we could stop thinking in Leitzyears.  But they still have a lot of work to do to get there. 

So all in all those with an M10 and no extra battery have my sympathy as well as those still waiting for the camera... that's even worse.

I hope you are wrong and they are not reverting to type as you suggest.