M10 Banding in high contrast setting

Viv1857

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think this must be a sensor fault.  A torture test here:

As shot (ISO 100)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

+5 stops over exposed

As shot (ISO 6400)

+5 stops over exposed

Interesting to see the contrast between the resilience of the Low and High ISO files - but certainly no banding along the lines discussed by the OP.

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lots of obvious banding in the 6400 file (though no artifactual banding as per the OP). I presume this was pushed by 5 stops from ISO 6400 is that correct? Is this the same or worse than M240 or SL/Q sensor files?

Pushed from 6400. I would NEVER think of trying to extract this much information from under exposed files! The point of the exercise is to see if there's any of the banding emanating from the edge light source..

There's none.

Edited by chris_tribble

I have this problem on my M10. And it occurs at ISO 6400 and 3200 and it occurs very consistently and effectively renders those ISO settings useless. I guess I'll be talking to Leica as well. 

An example of the line I get in many images (the image is cropped). 

• 2 weeks later...

I inspected the 2 sample files you provided and found that the pattern of the banding is very similar. This should not be the case!!! I guess if the issue has to do with the masking of the sensor the banding should always resemble the light situation. Instead it shows a pattern which seems to be independent from the light situation. Did you cut the pictures? If yes, please check if the banding occurs exactly at the same position in the frame!

Edit: look here: http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/camera/styled-56/

There is also similar banding at similar position in the frame in the ISO 6400 shot of the M10.

Edited by jpk

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Both of the samples provided in this thread look very much like a green band that developed on my M9 after several years use requiring a sensor replacement at my expense. I would send these M10s back immediately under warranty. Leica will do the right thing.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I purchased an MP 240 on Saturday from Leica. (I know we're talking M10) within 4 hours I had decided to return the camera.

Huge amounts of green banding when trying to life the shadows in post. Blacks turning a horrid green. I tried exposing for the shadows and got hot spots on my images.

Camera is going back today. Gutted as this camera and lens ( 50 lux asph) is a thing of beauty in my hands. The images from ISO 1600 and above a atrocious.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's happening to me also. I've tried to duplicate it but it doesn't do it every time. Sometimes I have shot 7 or 8 frames from the same spot, and maybe only 1 will do it.

This is not within spec (verified at Leica Store). Mine does the same thing and it's going back for replacement.

My Leica dealer had me send mine back to them today ( I've only had it 4 weeks) and they didn't have a replacement, but said they would have to send it to Leica for repair. So I may be in for another long wait after waiting 5 1/2 months to get it after ordering. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. It cost me another $95.00 shipping with insurance. I feel like Leica or the dealer should repay this after I've spent $6500 for a faulty camera.

Edited by Peyton Hoge

Peyton that is indeed very frustrating and represents extremely poor customer care as far as I’m concerned. Not because your dealer didn’t have a replacement available but because you shouldn’t have to wait for repair and you certainly shouldn’t have been asked to pay the cost of shipping back to Wetzlar! (wow).

I reckon if a camera is deemed faulty within a month or two it should qualify for expedited replacement from Wetzlar, i.e. jumping the global supply queue. You’d think Leica would want to lay out the red carpet for new owners.

Hopefully the Leica support processes will kick into gear and do the right thing for you, but your report and a few others I’ve read here indicates to me that Leica does have a bit of a problem with either their customer support policies of their dealers’ understanding of those policies.

There’s a simple solution to as expected rates of DOA and early failure and once again we have to look at Apple. Leica should be reselling these early returned and repaired units as refurbished for a discount, not forcing new customers to wait for prolonged repairs. Surely the failure rates aren’t so high that Leica can’t figure out a way to offload the few bodies that do end up coming back for early repair.

Edited by Simon

Yeah, that's a bad sensor. It would either need to be re-mapped to ignore that row or replaced. Either way it's going back to Leica.

Correct me if I’m wrong but if it’s just sensor remapping that’s required can’t they just examine the files and send you the fix via firmware? They’re not actually replacing anything?

• Like 1

My Leica dealer had me send mine back to them today ( I've only had it 4 weeks) and they didn't have a replacement, but said they would have to send it to Leica for repair. So I may be in for another long wait after waiting 5 1/2 months to get it after ordering. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. It cost me another $95.00 shipping with insurance. I feel like Leica or the dealer should repay this after I've spent $6500 for a faulty camera.

That is a dealer to that should be reported to Leica. He is not supposed to charge for shipping for a camera under guaranty. He should have gotten you a new camera ASAP. Next time you need something done, deal with Leica directly. And never buy there again.

• Like 2

Peyton that is indeed very frustrating and represents extremely poor customer care as far as I’m concerned. Not because your dealer didn’t have a replacement available but because you shouldn’t have to wait for repair and you certainly shouldn’t have been asked to pay the cost of shipping back to Wetzlar! (wow).

I reckon if a camera is deemed faulty within a month or two it should qualify for expedited replacement from Wetzlar, i.e. jumping the global supply queue. You’d think Leica would want to lay out the red carpet for new owners.

Hopefully the Leica support processes will kick into gear and do the right thing for you, but your report and a few others I’ve read here indicates to me that Leica does have a bit of a problem with either their customer support policies of their dealers’ understanding of those policies.

There’s a simple solution to as expected rates of DOA and early failure and once again we have to look at Apple. Leica should be reselling these early returned and repaired units as refurbished for a discount, not forcing new customers to wait for prolonged repairs. Surely the failure rates aren’t so high that Leica can’t figure out a way to offload the few bodies that do end up coming back for early repair.

The shipping is to the dealer in Miami. That's what they told me to do. They said Leica didn't have any silver replacement cameras right now. I reported this problem to the dealer 2 weeks after I got it and they told me to keep watching to see if the problem continued, and it did. 

• 4 weeks later...

With m recently purchased M10, I get green banding across the centre of a photo when shot in high contrast situations. Quite disturbing. Any thoughts on this? Example below - using a summicron 50 shot in good light. Also get the same type of result on my Elmarit 90.

attachicon.gifL1001253.jpg

My M10 has done the same thing (green horizontal lines). Did you get a replacement M10, or was it repaired by Leica? If so, how long did it take? My dealer had me send my M10 back to them and they sent it to Germany for repair. That was almost 4 weeks ago, and the dealer still can not tell me when I will get it back.