M10 Banding in high contrast setting

Viv1857

Before everyone starts overreacting...the first question is can the OP recreate the banding, or was it an isolated issue?

I just went back and looked thru all my images and don't see anything like this recorded and I was trying to push the limits.

The OP said he recreated it with his 90mm lens. At this point it seems he may an isolated incident. 

You are completely overreacting. The example I mentioned is one in a million. I've shot probably a thousand images and so far have not recorded one with the issue I described. While shooting directly into the sun I noticed something. It happened at a moment that most people wouldn't even consider as a photo opportunity as the sun was pointing straight in the lens.

A sunset will not recreate this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not over reacting at all. I stated I was reaming positive about it. I also stated I don't believe this is any fault of the photographer and would be unacceptable if this turns out to be the case for all M10s. I am not drinking the kool-aid but want to have a very realistic view of the situation. It was stated above by Adan that this was "partly" user error. I don't buy that argument in this situation. If I am over reacting Adan was over reacting. I am just throwing out what I feel to be a rational view of the situation.

• Like 2

My point is we are not purchasing a Sony a7 and I don't feel Leica gets a pass on this because someone didn't expose for the highlights correctly. What if he was bracketing his shots? Will this happen on Sunset panoramic photos? Then I read @digitialfx may have encountered this. I am not freaking out but I am very concerned when I shell out $$$$ for a camera this expensive. It makes it appear as a rush job.

Your not freaking out but you are freaking out.

IMO reacting to a single isolated report which is nothing more than a single image from one user is overreacting. Read your statements

Now we can't shoot sunsets or bracket?

A single image makes it "appear as a rush job"

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

I think this is a sensor problem, insufficient seal on the edge reference pixels. Return the camera and demand another one.

I would agree that its a sensor problem. Whilst the high intensity of light might be a factor it appears that the band is even across the frame. I've had high intensity banding on both M8s and M9s if pushed hard enough but not like this. Sadly I'd suspect a sensor problem on this specific camera and it should be replaced. All electronic equipment seems to have a failure rate (even if very low) and this looks like a sensor problem which Leica will no doubt want to look at. Pity but these things happen. FWIW I remember talking to a rep for another camera company many years ago. They had released a new model and were very happy that the failure rate was so low that it made sense to replace cameras with a failure rather than to repair them.

The OP said he recreated it with his 90mm lens. At this point it seems he may an isolated incident. 

Not over reacting at all. I stated I was reaming positive about it. I also stated I don't believe this is any fault of the photographer and would be unacceptable if this turns out to be the case for all M10s. I am not drinking the kool-aid but want to have a very realistic view of the situation. It was stated above by Adan that this was "partly" user error. I don't buy that argument in this situation. If I am over reacting Adan was over reacting. I am just throwing out what I feel to be a rational view of the situation.

It IS a bit over the top to expand a single fault in one camera to "the case for all M10s".

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Your not freaking out but you are freaking out.

IMO reacting to a single isolated report which is nothing more than a single image from one user is overreacting. Read your statements

Now we can't shoot sunsets or bracket?

A single image makes it "appear as a rush job"

I apologize for the rhetoric. I should have better explained.

Both of the below were rebuttals to the partly user error comment.

I did say panoramic sunset, I think I said that, and what I meant was when you shoot a sunset and stitch it together. The Sun sometimes ends up on the edge of the frame. I shoot panos in portrait. 

Bracketing was a response to common scenarios where over exposure may come into play.

I was over the top here

You are fair to call me out not he single image rush job comment. I'll take that one. It was unfair of me to say.

I'll just go back to obsessing over my delivery date.  :)

Edited by 6bit
  • Like 2

What has the price got to do with it? When I pay money for a tool I expect it to perform properly. Period. regardless of price. ;)

Anyhow, with any product there is a early-failure rate. Nothing to get excited about, provided it is within reason and the producer handles it properly.

• Like 3

What has the price got to do with it? When I pay money for a tool I expect it to perform properly. Period. regardless of price. ;)

Anyhow, with any product there is a early-failure rate. Nothing to get excited about, provided it is within reason and the producer handles it properly.

Agree!

And there will be more reports...no manufacture can produce for mass market with 100% perfection. Its made with human hands and humans are far from perfect. All that matters is how Leica responds to the owner, and from my experience of over 30 years owning Leica products their support is second to none.

• Like 4

It is not just the manufacturer. Especially electronic components can perform perfectly out of the box and fail shortly after.

Anyway, with this example it looks like a production error, so I can imagine Leice looking carefully at processes all through the production chain of the sensor.

All, Thanks for advice etc. 

I can reproduce this problem relatively easily. All i need is a significant light source in the frame along with dark areas.

As mentioned earlier I have been in touch with Leica providing them with several files. They have been very cooperative and I'm expecting a replacement.

I would also note that in my few days with the camera so far, I have bonded strongly with the form factor and appreciate the more methodical approach that an M demands. In less extreme lighting conditions the files are really beautiful with a 'feel', that for me, far surpasses what i had been achieving with my RXii.

• Like 1

Im not sure if this type of shot would replicate your issue...but I tried shooting several shots with a light pointed straight at the lens and all the images are clean.

It looks like you might have a defective sensor...hopefully Leica replaces it quickly for you.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Im not sure if this type of shot would replicate your issue...but I tried shooting several shots with a light pointed straight at the lens and all the images are clean.

It looks like you might have a defective sensor...hopefully Leica replaces it quickly for you.

I believe the light source would need to be on the edge of the frame.

Here is another example. This time the TV is the significant light source. I have upped contrast to make the bands more evident.

Ill test tomorrow with a larger source on the edge...in the mean time I found these two reject images with sun on edge of frame.

• Like 1

here is a duplicate of your last shot.

Let us know how Leica responds...hope you get a replacement immediately.

• Like 1