New to the Q - RAWs file size compression and more

diddus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys! 

So last week I went to my local Leica Store to check out the M10 - which is wonderful - but a tad bit expensive. 

At the same time I played around with the Q  which seriously impressed me. So the next day I bought one. Do I really need it?- probably not.

I own an M9 which I use daily and an S 006 which I use for shoots with Models. On both cameras I basically stick to one lens. 

Now, I've added this to the list of stuff people want from the new Firmware, but wanted to address it separately and a little more in depth none the less. 

The Qs DNGs are fixed at 41.3 MB. 

Compared to the ca. 18MB of my M9 (18 megapixels), ca. 24 MB of M240 (24 megapixels) and S (006)'s 38 MB for 37 Megapixels.

Basically all the other Leicas I have owned have file sizes comparable to the megapixels of the sensor. - so why is this different in the Q ?

The M10 according to a recent interview has compressed DNGs which are lossless and smaller again. - so Leica does care about the file size apparently. 

My two questions now:

Will Leica address this in the next FW update ? (I know this is a question no one will be able to answer for sure, but I'd love to see your educated guesses)

Is there an option to realistically compress the files more or less lossless in Order to save disk space?

- I know there will be comments telling me that disk space is cheap - an it is - but I find it mostly just annoying to have the amount of HDDs I already have and will have to continue to buy in order to save my files.    Also it's quite annoying in terms of power my laptop needs to load and work on the images ... 

Edited by diddus
  • Like 1

Yes, it is a bit annoying not to get compressed DNGs on the Q. This is possible to fix in Lightroom. 

After you have imported the images into Lightroom you select all and go to the menu "Metadata" and choose "Update DNG preview and metadata".

Lightroom will do a lossless compression of the DNGs and the file size will shrink from 44MB to 28MB.

Leica has stated in an M10 interview that they don't feel that it is necessary to offer uncompressed images on the M10 because the believe that the compression is so good. Hopefully they will incorporate compression on the Qs DNG in a future firmware update.

Edited by matlep
  • Like 3

Yes, it is a bit annoying not to get compressed DNGs on the Q. This is possible to fix in Lightroom. 

After you have imported the images into Lightroom you select all and go to the menu "Metadata" and choose "Update DNG preview and metadata".

Lightroom will do a lossless compression of the DNGs and the file size will shrink from 44MB to 28MB.

Leica has stated in an M10 interview that they don't feel that it is necessary to offer uncompressed images on the M10 because the believe that the compression is so good. Hopefully they will incorporate compression on the Qs DNG in a future firmware update.

Thank you! It does help quite a bit !  I'll take 25% file size reduction any day :) 

And am hoping for that update as well!