Who is waiting for the M10-P

ymc226

I bought one of the first M8's then a beautiful M8.2 came..But fortunately the wonderful M9 came so I bought one of the first. Then the M9P came and I felt a bit annoyed about it .

Fortunately the great M 240  came and I got one of the first Leica-demo M 240 camera for a wonderful price. Then came the M-P 240 " figured that " I thought, but still felt a little sting. 

Now the incredible M 10 is there. I'm not going to buy one of the first. Maybe I buy the MP 10 , but it could be, that I will hear soon after its arrival, that there will be a party for some persons to celebrate the M 11. ... on November 11. 2019.

Then I will retire my M 240. still worth over a 100.000 shutter clicks.  

• Like 1

I have a Leica M240 and a M240P and don't plan on upgrading at this point. I may purchase a M10P if they bring back the electronic level which I use all the time. Also, here's hoping they give an option to turn off the noise reduction on bulb mode. Those two things would grease the wheels.

The m-p is discrete. I like discrete. Yesterday a woman in the pub had a Nikon 801something or other. It was huge, with a huge lens, and a huge strap with Nikon in yellow all over it.

Am I allowed to say the word, "tarty" without getting into trouble? It was tarty, whether a man or woman had it. Just cheap bling.

Bring on the M10-P.

• Like 2

The m-p is discrete. I like discrete. Yesterday a woman in the pub had a Nikon 801something or other. It was huge, with a huge lens, and a huge strap with Nikon in yellow all over it.

Am I allowed to say the word, "tarty" without getting into trouble? It was tarty, whether a man or woman had it. Just cheap bling.

Bring on the M10-P.

tarty is a bit overdone IMHO . All the Nikons and Canons came with this kind of banner. Just a kind of competition like fashion I suppose. Although the Nikon F801s came with a wonderful discreet and soft in the neck kind of strap in nylon with green leather. I bought a F801s new in Japan and kept the strap long after the Nikon F801s was gone. In fact . I bought the camera, returned to " Big Camera " Tokio 4 days later , kept the strap and traded the camera for a new F3. I think that was my first initiative to buy smaller and more discrete cameras..

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I plan to wait for M10-P. A silver chrome body or, if available, a black paint one.

I started my journey with Leica from silver gray M9, than updated it to silver chrome M9-P. Than the first black Monochrome arrived. Lost both bodies in the sea (!), thus decided to buy a silver chrome Monochrom.

Than M240 arrived, but I was not interested and I waited for M-P240 black. And the next one was black second Monochrom. The last ones were black Q and the black paint Leica MP a la carte. Finally, I ended with two black digital M bodies (M-P240 and the second Monochrom), a film black painted M body (MP) and the Q.

I would wait for M10-P, and everything would begin once more ;)

Edited by emaras

Does anyone else find it interesting that when Leica first the -P designation it was for a camera that had features removed, build quality economised, and a red dot added. Now it appears to mean opposite.

Unless of course you have the view that the -P designation just means "make more money from an outdated camera" :D

I always hated the red dot on M cameras.

That's why I was first in line for the M6J, LHSA and à la carte MP.

And was quit upset by the later release of the M8-2, M9-P and M-P.

I kept my black M8, M9 and M240 with black dots or taped and didn't upgrade to the much nicer look.

This time, I have the fabulous SL for my M lenses.

Buying the M10 will not be an upgrade.

Let see what happen.

A real M10 à la carte may convince me.

[emoji6]

Edited by Leicaiste

+1

Well, I do find it a bit annoying that the first iteration M is "crippled" by not giving it scratch resistant display-cover made of sapphire glass and a a silly red Leica logo,

but on the other hand this (P version) helps Leica to survive until the release of the "next generation" M.

I'll wait for the M-P if they promise to put the EVF electronic level back in.  They gave us access to a better EVF, but left out my most often-used tool when shooting ultra-wide.  

Not sure if the big flat panel on top of the M10 is there so I can glue on a spirit level?  Very elegant!

I got the M240 when it first came out but somewhat regretted not waiting for the M240-P just for appearances sake.  I previously got the M9-P and MM1 and like the lack of the red Leica dot and the "Leica"script on the top of the M9-P.  I'm in no hurry to get the M10 as I just got both the Q and SL.  

Anyone out there waiting for the M10-P?

Unlike M9 or M, M10 doesn't have "Mx" marked in the front. If you could replace the red dot with something similar in the colour of the body, you basically have a M10-P, unless you want a black paint M10-P.......BTW, I am struggling too...

But its the Leica script that I particularly like... and an M10-P would look closer than any digital Leica has ever been to my dream camera of a digital M3 or M4 in Black Paint... Particularly the M3 top plate with the film rewind looking so much like the ISO dial... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I like the smooth windows on the M4 front... (although the illumination window is missing on the M10)

Once the M10-P is available, all I would need would be a second body, an M10-E, to use along side it as part of a full M system with a built in EVF replacing the rangefinder and everything else the same, to use with my 90 and soon to get 21 and I would be a very happy bunny for a very long time.

Two M4/3 lookalikes with a pure rangefinder and a pure EVF version... what's not to like...?!

I may even be tempted to buy a third body to go with them...! :p

Edited by Bill Livingston

Yeah I'm kind of waiting.

I have the M240-P and if you look at the specs the M10 is a nice jump from the original M240 but some of the benefits that the M10 has over the M240 are in the M-P. .i.e. The bigger buffer, more FPS, the frame lever.

Yeah I would like smaller, lighter, WiFi, and the EVF from the T. (I can't really see much difference in the OVF except that it's slightly clearer.) but I can't really justify the M10 now for just the increased ISO.

What I would like in a M10-P is a bit different than in the M240-P over the M240.

Next generation electronics- i.e. Lower power so you get a few more shots/charge. I really don't know if this is possible but I do know that semiconductor processes do improve and power utilization does go down. It has a lot to do with where in the camera the power is being used.

Next generation battery tech. Right now it is 1300mAh. In two years they could probably make a battery in the same form factor with 1500 or 1600 mAh.

Sapphire screen of course

Lighter. Pay for lightness the way you do with bikes. Substitute Ti for brass where possible. Leave it unpainted on the silver models but do a really good hard baked anodization on the black model. The build quality on Leica stuff is so good already that it is hard to improve.

I'm also hoping that in about two years they could tweak the sensor recipe just a little bit and get just a little more dynamic range out of it maybe even push it to 16b per pixel.

I won't be surprised if a subsequent iteration follows two aspects of the M240 -> M262 transition: an aluminum top plate to reduce weight, and a quieter shutter release mechanism.  Lots of folks wanted a thinner, lighter and even quieter camera than the M240, and the M10 has only 1 out of 3 (discounting marginally less weight).  But achieving all 3 doesn't seem too difficult.  And the usual cosmetic changes.

Typical Leica tease...for those who care about such things.

Jeff