M10 rangefinder "considerably greater accuracy"

Tobers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I posted this in another thread...but this may be a solution for those with astigmatism like me. I bought this for the M9, and although it worked I prefer to shoot with my glasses rather than constantly changing back and forth.

http://walterrxeyepiece.com

Ive sent him an email to see if he is still making these. The site hasn't been updated since 2011

He is working on a M10 eyepiece.

I think this is going to move your eye way to far from the OF to be practical with a rangefinder. While the M10 eyepiece is larger, its a very small amount and not enough for something this large.

But..., the M10 has considerably increased eye relief (with this in mind?)

Speaking of the M3, one reason it was so clear was the use of gold in the optical chain.  I remember that discussion from a long time ago.  Then they cheaped out with the M2 and later cameras.  Could it be that the M10 clarity is due to the use of gold again?

The M3 finder is prone to degradation due to the "glue" between the prism planes. I hope they don't commit the same fault again.

The main issue I am curious about is your eyes are measured for reading prescriptions for certain distances!

Ex computer viewing is a different prescription than reading a book, in fact a optimal distance for computer use should bee given to the doc so they can incorporate that into you prescription. So how does that relate to looking through a viewfinder?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M focus patch is at a virtual distance of 2m.  Or did I miss something?

Jeff

What's important is not where the frame lines or maybe the edges of the focus patch are. What you really see in the viewfinder and the rangefinder patch is the real scene at the real distance (slightly modified by the 0.73 scaling of the viewfinder). See this post for a more detailed explanation: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/103989-m9-viewfinder-effective-viewing-distance/?p=1119740

Summarizing: If you can see the subject with your eyes (+glasses) you are able to focus at the subject with the rangefinder. It will be a little bit smaller (x0.73), however.

What's important is not where the frame lines or maybe the edges of the focus patch are. What you really see in the viewfinder and the rangefinder patch is the real scene at the real distance (slightly modified by the 0.73 scaling of the viewfinder). See this post for a more detailed explanation: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/103989-m9-viewfinder-effective-viewing-distance/?p=1119740

Summarizing: If you can see the subject with your eyes (+glasses) you are able to focus at the subject with the rangefinder. It will be a little bit smaller (x0.73), however.

Yes, I know....and I miss Lars.  But I was addressing Pico's comment about the focus patch distance.

Fortunately for me, my eyeglass prescription allows me to see both the 2m patch and distant objects equally well....so no need for diopters or to continually put on/take off glasses.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

" I never wear glasses when I'm using my camera but I feel I might benefit from using the correct diopter." With the SL, I can actually adjust to suit either with glasses or not.

The card I have is gibberish to me, so I am currently waiting an English translation of this for the right eye:

S +0.00 -1.25 95˚ DEG 1.50 H 17.0 and exactly how that translates to the choice of Diopter on offer from Leica.

I tried with the -2-0 diopter on the M10. That was an improvement over the standard -0.5.

I was back in the store today for a third look. This time I concentrated on keeping my glasses on, and not even attempting to not use my glasses (for distance). I took pictures in a basement studio using constant light (no flash). Much to my pleasant surprise I could use the Viso and adjust it to be sharp for my eyes. I then came upstairs and took a picture or two of things outside the shop through their windows. I know the eye-piece is -0.5 but I could focus by moving the elements in the rangefinder centre together.

The result is that I have cancelled the Diopter adjustment adapter. I think I don't need it.

I will retrain myself to use my distance glasses when I use the camera.