M10 rangefinder "considerably greater accuracy"

Tobers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am short-sighted and I have poor distance vision. I always keep my glasses on when using a camera. Otherwise, I might be a danger to myself and others. I feel more comfortable doing it that way whether with OVF or EVF or manual or autofocus. It is good to hear that the rangefinder is more accurate on the M10. My M10 is on order. I do plan to have my eyesight checked this year as I had two eye operations about 10 years ago; detached retina and cataract, but thankfully not on my focussing eye. I find that a change of glasses prescription usually does not affect my use of a Leica OVF/RF.

William

I have "older eyes" with myopia as well as an astigmatism so I need to wear my glasses to focus.  I used to push my glasses up or down to find the sweet spot on my progressive lens with the 240, or use the LV, have a diopter accessory on the mm, but in my one day of playing with the m10, I, too, find that i have more images spot on, without using the LV, and I do not find myself fiddling with my glasses, but just use the distance portion at the top.  I have been practicing with the Noctilux wide open, so if I miss, it is obvious.

And, yes, I love ( !!! )  this camera, but that is for another thread.

kaethe

Edited by kaethe
  • Like 2

Erwin Puts (LEICAgraphy) mentions that Henri Cartier-Bresson rarely used the rangefinder for focusing, instead he estimated distance with the aperture set to f8 (guess he used other settings as well), and that was with a 50mm lens!!

Of course, most people who use a RF camera for street photography use f8 and zone. But if you like photographing static things, critical focus can be beneficial. I'm assuming the majority of RF shooters are in fact street photographers. For landscape and other genres, there are far more appropriate tools available.

Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 2

How do you determine the correct Diopter from your prescription?

I tried a +2 Diopter and it was not even close...should it be a -2?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Peter; I have used +3 diopter with my M262, and it was not quite enough to focus easily.
I have bought one +4 diopter and now it is very easy to focus with my M10

May I ask where you can buy a +4 Diopter?

Hi, I had the opportunity to use an M10 in Sheffield today. It was good but I didn't say wow this is a lot better. I have a late model Leica M-E where the viewfinder is really good and very contrasty, in fact far better in my opinion of the M9 monochrome I had which I found lacked contrast and sharpness. My concern is still reaching good focus using a rangefinder with my noctilux in a busy scene compared to the ease with my SL which I find a really flexible camera with my Leica m, sl autofocus and my canon lenses. Just my contribution and love reading the forum.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion and a key factor in deciding whether I would buy an M10 (assuming they ever become available on this side of the world!). Being short-sighted, I also have no choice but to ear eyeglasses all the time. Agree there are lots of factors affecting focusing accuracy, not just how accurate the rangefinder actually is but how well you can see the subject. Are your eyeglass lenses optimally corrected for both eyes? Another factor to consider is if you prefer focusing with your right eye (most people) or left eye (a few people). It's worth comparing to see if you can detect any appreciable difference.

Here's a test to see which eye is dominant:

1) With both eyes open, hold your left index finder out in front of your face and line it up against an object (light switch, window frame, bookcase).

2) Hold up your right index finger about 30cm in front of your face and line it up with your left index finger.

3) Now close first the left eye and then the right eye. Which eye is open when both fingers and the object all line up? This is your dominant eye.  

Although whether an eye is dominant doesn't necessarily make it the best eye for focus does it?. I'm a right eye shooter but my left is dominant. Never been a problem so long as I have the right diopter.

This is so frustrating Chris. (Not your fault!)

But despite being told how important it is to use the correct diopter I have still not seen a straight explanation as to how to determine what is the correct diopter.

Is it just a matter of trial and error?

I'm hoping Rick may reply.

Trial and error is the best method if you want what actually suits you rather than what ought to suit you.

By the way, there shouldn’t be a problem when you are using the Visoflex. It has a diopter adjustment wheel.

Edited by euston
  • Like 1

I'm assuming the majority of RF shooters are in fact street photographers. For landscape and other genres, there are far more appropriate tools available.

Interesting perspective that I couldn't disagree with more. The optical RF (as distinct from any TTL viewfinder) is a liberating and non-intrusive method of both composition and focussing that is perfect for almost all forms of photography.

• Like 5

How did you determine which was the right diopter for you? Did you try several?

Your ophthalmologist or optician can give you are reasonable start but I have found that you have to try a few diopters in that range for an accurate fit.. Theory and practicality have always collided in regards to refraction....

Albert  ;)  ;)  ;)

• Like 2

For months I tried to figure out with my optometrist the best diopter for me and couldn't. Then I spent a couple hours at a Leica store and tried out different diopters on my M240 until I settled on -1. Subsequently my in-focus percentage did not improve. Two months later I was cleaning my diopter and realized I focused better without it and kept it off since. The viewfinder is also brighter without a diopter.

Three days ago I got the M10, without a diopter, and 95% of my pictures are in perfect focus. Finally.

• Like 2

This is so frustrating Chris. (Not your fault!)

But despite being told how important it is to use the correct diopter I have still not seen a straight explanation as to how to determine what is the correct diopter.

I'm hoping Rick may reply.

Visit your optometrist and hold his try-out glasses in front of your ocular. the one that works best umm.. works best and should be the one to order.

I had my optometrist make several pairs of glasses for exactly specified near or far distances, and he never had any problems making them. That they would not match any more after a short-ish time was not his fault but the fault of my eyes.

AFAIK, the important stuff in the range finder is at an apparent distance of 2m. I'm quite sure the manual contains that information.