Thumbie for M10

satureyes

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love the Thumbie by Steve Barnett. Does anyone have the m10 and M240 to hand and can see if the curve where the thumb goes is the same?

I wanted too see it the M240 thumbie (not thumbs up) would also fit the new M. I have a feeling the curvature of the camera is different around the wheel area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey there,

The shape of the thumb dial curve is definitely a little different. It's slightly more pronounced (juts out from body more), and the whole grip is taller. That being said, I placed the m240 thumbie on top of the m10 (without backing tape) and I think it will still work.

Edited by cookedart
  • Like 2

Hey, stuck this on this weekend, the m240 one works with the m10. Slightly different placement but like on the m240 the grip is much improved and leaves the hot shoe free for the EVF. Definitely a fan!

Good stuff. Can you bosh up a photo so I can see how it lines up with the thumb rest?

• Like 1

Sorry I overexposed these on my phone by accident but I think they show probably what you need to see. It lines up perfectly flush with the top of the top plate.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by cookedart
  • Like 3

Looks like it gets pretty hacked up. Guess its Aluminum and not brass like ThimbsUp.

When you remove it, does it mar the finish of the camera. And can it be replaced after being removed?

Thanks!

Removes fine. I took mine off my 240 before selling it. Didn't really leave any residue. I removed the excess with a lens cleaning cloth and some solution

Sorry I overexposed these on my phone by accident but I think they show probably what you need to see. It lines up perfectly flush with the top of the top plate.

Looks good. I can't remember how it sat on the 240. Was it the same?

It's more the curved bit and if the adhesive will stick because the angle of the curve is different.

Looks like it gets pretty hacked up. Guess its Aluminum and not brass like ThimbsUp.

When you remove it, does it mar the finish of the camera. And can it be replaced after being removed?

Thanks!

No it's brass, but its just silver paint on brass. ThumbsUp are the same, and since they stick out they're prone to get a little worn.

Looks good. I can't remember how it sat on the 240. Was it the same?

It's more the curved bit and if the adhesive will stick because the angle of the curve is different.

Its pretty much the same, ya. The thumb grip is a little taller so it sits totally flush with the top plate now as opposed to maybe a little lower than the top plate on the m240. Also it sits a little more to the left because of the new curve profile, if i had it any more right, the flat part would not sit flat. But it works great, it lets my hand sit on top of the lcd bezel rather than that corner sticking into my thumb.

• 4 years later...

My Thumbie arrived today and it is installed on my M10. The version I have is designed for the M (Type 240) and the M10. There were no issues with the installation and it sits well. Just make sure you follow the instructions and use soapy water during installation to correctly position it as the 3M adhesive is quite strong and you don't want a wonky grip. 

The Thumbie I received is brass with black paint and while I was initially concerned about how well a stick on accessory would work, I'm comfortable that it should last a while after installation.

I was also concerned about the appearance of the adhesive strip between the brass accessory and the brass body and thought it may take away from the aesthetics of the camera.  While I can see the strip, and it isn't a completely clean look, it is nowhere near as unsightly as I thought it could be and I am happy with it. 

I chose the Thumbie as I value the added grip along with my Leica protective half-case for one-handed use. I didn't want anything hot shoe mounted as I use that for my Visoflex 020 on occasion and didn't want to have to compromise. 

I was also a little bit concerned by some reports of hot shoe mounted thumb grips loosening the shoe.

At this early stage, I wholeheartedly recommend the Thumbie but the true test will come with time. 

I have a Thumbie on my M240 and M10 and they are identical and interchangeable. I've been using a Thumbie on all of my digital Leica Ms and prefer them to the other thumb rest options.

The black paint on all of my Thumbies have peeled off in places revealing brass underneath. All of the paint on the one I have on an M8 has completely peeled off and the Thumbie is now completely brass. All fine by me, but if you're concerned about cosmetics then the Thumbie might not be a good choice for you.