WiFi problem

CYBORA

Many new computers do not have SD slots or USB 3 for that matter. (2016 Mac Book Pro) From this it appears the SD card will be phased out. Before everyone jumps all over this I am not in favour of this just stating the obvious. Look what has happened to music CD's and DVD's, almost imposable to find CD's, everything is download or streamed. Eventually your camera will download straight to "the cloud"    

We are not ready for this today. The difference between our cameras and an iPod is that you aren't creating new music with the iPod. We are creating new images or art with our cameras. Brand new images that never existed before you pressed the shutter release, and that aren't stored anywhere except at the moment we create them. Relying on the cloud or internal storage carry risks that are acceptable with music because the files exist in many places. With our precious cameras we are creating them for the first time. The SD card or some other form of portable film to record that art is essential to the process.

Edited by digitalfx

We are not ready for this today. The difference between our cameras and an iPod is that you aren't creating new music with the iPod. We are creating new images or art with our cameras. Brand new images that never existed before you pressed the shutter release, and that aren't stored anywhere except at the moment we create them. Relying on the cloud or internal storage carry risks that are acceptable with music because the files exist in many places. With our precious cameras we are creating them for the first time. The SD card or some other form of portable film to record that art is essential to the process.

I somewhat agree, however automatic cloud storage is already here. Apple iCloud backs up the photos taken with your iPhone. Not to compare the Leica M10 with an iPhone but its where the market is heading . Leica is going in this direction with Photo Park. Cloud storage provides endless potabilities. Photos would be accessible from anywhere and mutable devices. Think about being in someones home and pulling up your favourite shots on their smart TV. 

I somewhat agree, however automatic cloud storage is already here. Apple iCloud backs up the photos taken with your iPhone. Not to compare the Leica M10 with an iPhone but its where the market is heading . Leica is going in this direction with Photo Park. Cloud storage provides endless potabilities. Photos would be accessible from anywhere and mutable devices. Think about being in someones home and pulling up your favourite shots on their smart TV. 

You cannot store anything in the 'cloud' in many places because there is no connection. And maybe we will experience another massive outage during a massive solar pulse, or someone will create a smart EMP satellite. One can only hope.

There is a big difference between backing up and primary storage. I would never buy a camera that doesn't allow me remove the storage device from it, wether that is an SD card or some other form of storage. I was responding to the notion that the SD card will be replaced with internal storage only.

Many new computers do not have SD slots or USB 3 for that matter. (2016 Mac Book Pro) From this it appears the SD card will be phased out. Before everyone jumps all over this I am not in favour of this just stating the obvious. Look what has happened to music CD's and DVD's, almost imposable to find CD's, everything is download or streamed. Eventually your camera will download straight to "the cloud"

Sounds like a prophesy for a new Armageddon - God forbid. But if remotely true, it would be time to dump the digital camera and either take up film, if film is still available at some future point in time, or take up sketching, adding water colours if the scene justifies the added touch.

I don't think so. You can always set up a network over  WiFi with your computer. There will probably be wireless storage devices by then as well.

WiFi is not synonymous with Internet connection.

Well jaapv a computer huh? That'll be just one more thing to have to drag along with you if you don't want to run the risk of filling up whatever enhanced internal storage a future camera may have.

Right now of course it's dead simple, take out one full SD card and plug in a new one.

A whole raft of spare SD cards are still going to be a whole lot easier to port around than a iMacPro, iPad or iWhatever and I've found that SD cards are a relatively good way to archive one's work.

Good point though about the possibility of wireless storage coming down the pike and I suppose it will, but whatever all that may turn out to be a number of SD cards will still be easier to carry around with no extra powering / battery issues either. What's the big deal about using WiFi to download your files? Surely switching out SD cards is quicker and probably a lot safer.

Anyway, it's all speculation........and perhaps another good reason, not that I need one, to stick with my 240's and MM1 for quite a while longer.

it accepts input, it just doesn't look like it. Continue entering the password despite the display not changing.

Not for me.  I tried but could not tick the confirm key.  Only once did the camera seem to accept the input, and I am sure I provided correct input, but it did not want to connect.  My wifes 600 EUR Canon works like a charme..

It's obviously a minor thing (love the camera so far) but still annoying. 

Not for me.  I tried but could not tick the confirm key.  Only once did the camera seem to accept the input, and I am sure I provided correct input, but it did not want to connect.  My wifes 600 EUR Canon works like a charme..

It's obviously a minor thing (love the camera so far) but still annoying. 

Generally when you cant select the confirm key its because you entered the wrong password (or not enough characters to be specific).

Ive used mine dozens of times with no issues (other than I'm doing it blind). 

I would think you are simply entering the wrong data...hopefully the visibility issue will be corrected asap though.

• 2 weeks later...

My new M10 does the same thing. It does not enter the password at all. I have tried it thinking it was entering it, but it is not. This has to be. A firmware issue.

yes its a bug.

It still works though, try again and make sure you are entering password correctly. Then select the check mark.

Hopefully this is fixed soon.

I can't understand why wifi was added to a pure stills camera - well I can, it's the marketing people having their input, like the M240 having video. In my opinion, less is more in camera design and operation.

I have wifi on my E-M1 and it is an extremely useful feature when using stills - actually I have never used it for video shooting. There are several reasons wifi is great on a camera and why I am extremely glad that the M10 offers it:

• You got a builtin wireless remote release which works over remarkably high distances and outside the line of sight
  • As live view is transmitted via wifi, you can use your smartphone as a detached viewfinder. This opens up a lot of scenarios, where you physically could not use the viewfinder, EVF or screen on the back of the camera. This is especially nice when making group shots - put the camera on a tripod, feel free to move around. You can be in the picture, and are not tied to the camera. Also, allows you to put the camera higher up than you could if you still had to use the viewfinder/screen.
  • A very convenient means to get pictures off the camera, especially on the road. One reason smartphones are popular as cameras is, that it is so easy to share your images. Having wifi in the camera narrows this gap a bit. This is especially important on the M10 as accessing the SD card often requires to unscrew your quick release plate first. (That was really better on the M9). And you still can access your pictures, even if you have no SD card reader at hand. 
  • I don't think it is currently used, but a smartphone app could offer extended/more convenient configuration options for the camera which would not fit well into the camera menus. On Olympus cameras, the smartphone app allows recording GPS tracks and tagging the pictures taken during that time with the GPS information from the smart phone.

Peter

• Like 1