Leica SL Tilt Shift

Jenningsmca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How would the Leica R/Schneider 28 PC compare?

The R is a bit less sharp than the Canon 24TS, but excellent nevertheless, the 24TSE is a reference lens as far as I am concerned. Also the 28RPC is smaller... but without tilt capability and it is also cheaper.

I have one for sale if someone is interested, PM me I will send you the pictures.

+1 for the Canon TS-E 24 MkII - It is one of my favourite lenses.

The first question, though, is what do you want to use it for? That will determine focal length, and whether you need tilt, or just shift will suffice.

I rented a Canon 24mm TS-E when I owned the Sony A7RII and had some fun walking around downtown taking photographs. I used tilt function to correct architecture and to provide slices of image in focus with remaining oof. While at the water front I used the shift function to create a wide panorama photo horizontal and another of a building vertical.

This lens was awesome to use and I did not take much time to figure out its basic use. Images were fairly sharp, but the lens was a rental and was well used . Controls were a little sloppy but I was able to get a couple of photos useable but more importantly I got creative. Try and take a shifted image of a 5 way intersection with lights. I ended up with all lights red.

I have researched the hell out of the Schneider and have decided they are too big and cumbersome. I had the Nikon 14-24 for awhile bit it too was big and cumbersome but the protruding front element was a big sore point in getting a filter to work so I sold it. I'm telling you this because the new Nikon PC 19mm has a protruding front element and I think it will drive me nuts.

I have all Summilux lenses that I use on the SL and have been bitten by the Leica image quality, if the image is not sharp it's me. I love how I now have to blur areas intentionally. Now that being said I have two options left.

1. Buy the Canon 24mm TS-E II and the adapter or

2. Wait for Leica to release the new tilt shift lens mentioned during the roadmap for the SL release.

Problem is Leica runs at a snails pace so who knows when they will release those new TS lenses.

So, I guess I can can purchase a Canon adapter, which btw I have a few Nikon lenses left in the closet and rent the Canon TS-E lens to try on the SL. This will give me an idea of the quality of the files.

MJ

I rented a Canon 24mm TS-E when I owned the Sony A7RII and had some fun walking around downtown taking photographs. I used tilt function to correct architecture and to provide slices of image in focus with remaining oof. While at the water front I used the shift function to create a wide panorama photo horizontal and another of a building vertical.

This lens was awesome to use and I did not take much time to figure out its basic use. Images were fairly sharp, but the lens was a rental and was well used . Controls were a little sloppy but I was able to get a couple of photos useable but more importantly I got creative. Try and take a shifted image of a 5 way intersection with lights. I ended up with all lights red.

I have researched the hell out of the Schneider and have decided they are too big and cumbersome. I had the Nikon 14-24 for awhile bit it too was big and cumbersome but the protruding front element was a big sore point in getting a filter to work so I sold it. I'm telling you this because the new Nikon PC 19mm has a protruding front element and I think it will drive me nuts.

I have all Summilux lenses that I use on the SL and have been bitten by the Leica image quality, if the image is not sharp it's me. I love how I now have to blur areas intentionally. Now that being said I have two options left.

1. Buy the Canon 24mm TS-E II and the adapter or

2. Wait for Leica to release the new tilt shift lens mentioned during the roadmap for the SL release.

Problem is Leica runs at a snails pace so who knows when they will release those new TS lenses.

So, I guess I can can purchase a Canon adapter, which btw I have a few Nikon lenses left in the closet and rent the Canon TS-E lens to try on the SL. This will give me an idea of the quality of the files.

MJ

Just a small correction -- you would use the lens shift for correcting the perspective of the architecture not the tilt function.

I owned this lens for many years with my Canon system, sold it all off to get into SL. One of the best Canon lenses.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
4 hours ago, caissa said:

The Sigma adapter MC-21 should be a good replacement.

There are TWO types of Sigma MC-21 adapters ...   one for Sigma SA and one for Canon EF lenses ...codes SIGMA SA-L 00-85126-93724-9. and  CANON EF-L 00-85126-93723-2

Sigma's  Canon EF-L 00-85126-93723-2 adapter should work with the SL-2 and Panasonic S1 / S1-R ... but will not work with the SL 601 

dunk

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

There are TWO types of Sigma MC-21 adapters ...   one for Sigma SA and one for Canon EF lenses ...codes SIGMA SA-L 00-85126-93724-9. and  CANON EF-L 00-85126-93723-2

Sigma's  Canon EF-L 00-85126-93723-2 adapter should work with the SL-2 and Panasonic S1 / S1-R ... but will not work with the SL 601 

dunk

I was about to reply about it but your answer brings clarity to my ignorance about the difference. I still have the SL so that puzzled me when I was successful with the SL2 but not when using it with the SL. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I have that adapter/lens combo on my SL2 and I just love it. Not sure why there is so much negativity about the Sigma adapters, but I think they work quite well. Used to have the Nikon TS lens and Nikon to L adapter, didn't care for that combo. Also had for a while Schneider R TS lens and Leica R to L adapter, that was OK, but the Canon is so much better and more versatile lens with the Sigma adapter and actually easier to use.

So I recomend it and that's my 2 cents worth. 😀

• Like 2

Canon Tilt shift lenses work very well with sigma adapter and SL2. I use them all the time.

Sigma EF adapter is not great with EF AF lenses. the adapter also uses too much power and it will limited burst mode shooting and 4k video recording.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 12/1/2021 at 5:17 PM, Photoworks said:

Canon Tilt shift lenses work very well with sigma adapter and SL2. I use them all the time.

Sigma EF adapter is not great with EF AF lenses. the adapter also uses too much power and it will limited burst mode shooting and 4k video recording.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Very cool Rogeti frame for the Canon TSE!