Black or silver – and does it matter

marcg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I heard that Leica uses the so called A+ quality sensors for their silver models whereas the lower quality sensors (called A and A-) are built into the black models. Leica uses no B+ or lower quality sensors. The source said that the difference from A+ to A is significant. As a matter of fact the difference between the silver and the black models is absolutely relevant in the everyday photography.

PS: I would like to see my news statement going all way around the world and being published in the New York Times tomorrow morning. Lets hope.

you are wrong.... the silver one is build to sit on a shelf and not to be used, thats why the sensor is not that important, the black one on the other side..... ;)

PS: mine is.... black

Edited by i-Leica

• 1 month later...

Having had a gunmetal M9 and a silver M, I asked my dealer for a silver M10 but he didn't have one in stock.  I took a black one home instead, with a promise that if a silver one came into stock in the next few days he would trade it for my black one.  Short story, he called the next day to say he had a silver one coming in the next few days.  However, having and using the black one over the weekend I told him I wanted to keep the black one.  Still very happy with that choice...

• Like 2

I heard that Leica uses the so called A+ quality sensors for their silver models whereas the lower quality sensors (called A and A-) are built into the black models. Leica uses no B+ or lower quality sensors. The source said that the difference from A+ to A is significant. As a matter of fact the difference between the silver and the black models is absolutely relevant in the everyday photography.

PS: I would like to see my news statement going all way around the world and being published in the New York Times tomorrow morning. Lets hope.

Already being talked about on CNN

• Like 1

Stealth is everything to me - black body, black tape over the red dot.. ..and a black t shirt!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

"A Lie can travel halfway around the world while the Truth is putting on its shoes"

--Mark Twain

Someone in the business who should know tells me that silver is less in demand and a little harder to resell

I've been told the same by a notable Leica seller here in the US. Many, perhaps most here aren't 'Leicamen' inured to the heady cost of their equipage predilection. Unless it is something to be kept for decades like a cherished film body, thought about resale is advisable.  

How about the Red 50 APO? Can read the human soul.

Only when combined with a red M. The unicorn fart filled lens only shines fully on the red M. You know why no one ever saw a unicorn? Because Leica keep the few still alive all securely locked up in their basement to be able to harvest all the unicorn fart they need for their special edition special lenses and cameras.

• Like 2

Only when combined with a red M. The unicorn fart filled lens only shines fully on the red M. You know why no one ever saw a unicorn? Because Leica keep the few still alive all securely locked up in their basement to be able to harvest all the unicorn fart they need for their special edition special lenses and cameras.

While the ethereal Red 50 faded away, The Unicorn farted in your direction again if a Red M262 was in one of your REM cycles.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Someone in the business who should know tells me that silver is less in demand and a little harder to resell...

scott

That may be true, but when I lay down megadollars for a Leica M camera or lens, I do so with no thought of resale or trade in value; I buy them to use them and to keep them, not as an investment vehicle bought for the purpose of turning a profit.

I have always leaned toward black in the past (M-P Safari is my exception) but I have been looking at images of the M10 in silver of late, and I like it.  A black lens on a black camera may in theory have a bit of an advantage in terms of stealth but I am starting to have second thoughts on whether or not black really has an advantage in terms of not scaring your subjects away. 

Either your subject will see your camera or they won't; if they do see it, will a silver on silver M camera scare them away with more frequency than a black on black M?

I doubt it. 

JMHO but if you like silver, get it.

Edited by Herr Barnack

I like black cameras, in my case M7 and M10 in the Leica family simply because ...they are black and this satisfies my aesthetic values for cameras  :)

No other reasons, stealth or investment ...

robert

Edited by robert blu