Black or silver – and does it matter

marcg

How much heavier? Has this been answered officially by Leica? Is it a lens to lens basis or what's the story?

Most silver chrome lenses are made out of brass which is a much heavier material than aluminum. The weight difference varies but it is pretty substantial.

• Like 1

You can look in the specs for the lenses which are offered in black and silver versions. There is no fixed ratio.

Just checked the technical data sheet at Leica's website for the Summicron 35 f/2 ASPH which appears to list the same weight for both versions i.e. 252g / 287g w and w/o hood

The top clearly lists both a black and chrome version with order numbers but there's no discrepancy between the two for weight. 

Chose 35 because this is probably the lens I would start with 

Edited by hollisd

Just checked the technical data sheet at Leica's website for the Summicron 35 f/2 ASPH which appears to list the same weight for both versions i.e. 252g / 287g w and w/o hood

The top clearly lists both a black and chrome version with order numbers but there's no discrepancy between the two for weight.

Chose 35 because this is probably the lens I would start with

The 50 APO-Summicron, 50/0.95 Noctilux, new 35 Summicron (11674), and 35/50/75/90 Summarit's are anodized aluminum.

All the other silver lenses are made out of brass. If you're planning on buying a 35mm Summicron ASPH, and prefer a lighter lens, make sure you don't get the 11882.

Edited by Mr.Q
  • Like 2

I seem to remember there being one silver chrome/brass 35 fle. Was it the Ralph Gibson edition? The new ones are anodised i'm sure.

There was an interview with Leica how the new lenses are anodised because they found a process that looks as good as silver chrome. They were unhappy with their previous attempts in the past.

I think that is the last of the real chrome lenses?

Yes, although the new 28 Summaron is also brass.

I am thinking of getting the prior 35 cron in chrome before they are all gone because I much prefer the feel of brass lenses. I just don't like the hood on that lens.

I thought this was about camera bodies, no?

Hahaha, although hollisd is right in this case, you'll be amazed how often topics derail on this forum and how far posts are off the initial track. You'll get used to it, resistance is useless.

• Like 1

Just had a look at black and silver M10s and the black one is very nice indeed. The finish is more matt than I expected and looks very smart. But I prefer the silver, it looks more classic in my opinion. If only black was available I'd still be very happy though.

• Like 1

The thought of the red dot used to bothered me. Not for the look, but for worrying that people would notice it and know what it was. No one does. Its just a logo and to me, its 100x more tasteful than having the name plastered in big white on black letters across the front like every other manufacturer does.

Pity about the SL...

Just comped this M 10 sketch really quick to show there's something special about chrome dials on a black body with a chrome lens. 

I wrote earlier that this combo looks like sex, but perhaps a better word is dialed. 

32730268045_9afc5845a4_b.jpg

Edited by hollisd
  • Like 3

Just want to say that I don't understand why Leica puts a red Leica dot on the front of their cameras.  Ridiculous.  I agree, never liked it. Ostentatious.  Vulgar.  Showy. 

I thought you knew that Leica has a large investment in a black electrical tape producer, which generates most of their profits. I just bought a roll of this tape, in anticipation of the delivery of my M10.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine