Black or silver – and does it matter

marcg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Silver for the M10, Black for the M10-Monochrom, that way you can keep them straight.

Eric

P.S.  M10 Safari for Ektachrome when it is reintroduced this fall.

Jesus, thinking what the M10 Mono will be.... like ISO 500,000 or something...

I've heard the same.  When the first two M10s reached my shop, the silver one went to #12 on the list.  The others were waiting for a black one.  I'm further down and immediately expressed an open mind on this issue.

scott

I got my M10 Silver Monday, I put myself on the list the day it was announced. So I think maybe this is true. Everyone wanted a black one.

• Like 1

Hmm. You guys have me reconsidering my black M10 order.  All my other Leicas are chrome. I like chrome. It's classic. You can customize it with other colored coverings down the line. Why am I suddenly going crazy? Arggghhh - I don't need another sleepless night.

... because that's have the fun!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just want to say that I don't understand why Leica puts a red Leica dot on the front of their cameras.  Ridiculous.  I agree, never liked it. Ostentatious.  Vulgar.  Showy.  

RickLeica

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

When I started out using Leicas, 99% of them were silver — "chrome". In fact nearly all cameras were silver. I wanted black cameras because that was the 1968 signature of a pro. My M2r and M4 were silver but my Nikons were black. I just lived with it. But I still wanted a black Leica. So my M8, M9 and Monochrom were/are black.

Now nearly all cameras are black and using a black Leica seems normal. I like the black — though I prefer black paint as in the M9. I hated the gunmetal gray of the early M9s. It was downright ugly. Still, I may go back to chrome with the M10. It depends which is available when my number comes up.

• Like 1

The thought of the red dot used to bothered me. Not for the look, but for worrying that people would notice it and know what it was. No one does. Its just a logo and to me, its 100x more tasteful than having the name plastered in big white on black letters across the front like every other manufacturer does. 

Edited by Tailwagger
  • Like 8

I'm proud to use Leica, and don't mind the red or monochrome dots. Forget stealth and silly gaffa tape...pleeeeze!

My M-P has a very unattractive screw.  I've removed it, and it's impossible to replace with a monochrome Leica logo...which I'd love to do.  I've talked to Don at DAG, also.

So something I'll just suck-up, and be content.

all best...

• Like 3

If anyone has both a black M10 and a black MM1, I'd be interested to learn if they appear as the same finish. (I know they're both "black chrome," but I figure nuances can change over the years.) My black MM1 is more of a dark gray than the black I'm seeing in M10 product photos. If that's the result of the finish aging, I'd be happy to take a few shots of my camera to show off what a black M10 might look like in a few years.

Cheers,

Jon

Jon,

The MM1 and M-A share a matte black chrome finish.  The finish on the M10 is very much the same as on the black chrome M7.

Eric

The nice man at the shop I buy most of camera stuff from (now that the word "dealer" is out of favour) told me yesterday that the big majority of orders for the M10 that he has received, and they are encouragingly many, have been for the black version and if I want one quickly I'll find it easier if I'm happy to accept a silver one.

I've heard the same. When the first two M10s reached my shop, the silver one went to #12 on the list. The others were waiting for a black one. I'm further down and immediately expressed an open mind on this issue.

scott

True, I could get my M10 relatively soon because I wanted silver. I am very happy with silver. It is not less prone to fingerprints (which is what apertur in post #74 asked) and in any case more so than the M4 for instance. Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Fascinating dilemma. One thing I just noticed is that I prefer the look below which is black on black or chrome on chrome. The only time I like a chrome lens on a black camera is when the dials are chrome and then I think it looks like sex, but either below is win-win so flip a coin. Besides grass is always greener so whichever you choose now you will want the other further down the road.  

leica-m10-new-meister-camera-hamburg.jpg

Edited by hollisd
  • Like 1