Black or silver – and does it matter

marcg

The M10 isn´t painted. It´s black chrome.

I wrote black finish.

I do know Leica's black paint quite well, having had some for 48 years, and I have a few so-called black chrome bodies. The original real paint had a deep luster and wears to brass quickly. The current black chrome is from, at best, an obsolete chrome process; it wears longer but is dull.

Many years ago I built a motorcycle that used great, brilliant, lusterous black chrome for parts other than exhaust. We all understand how much exposure motorcycles get. My black chrome never wore or chipped in over 25 years on the road. Leica should do as well.

Edited by pico

I wrote black finish.

I do know Leica's black paint quite well, having had some for 48 years, and I have a few so-called black chrome bodies. The original real paint had a deep luster and wears to brass quickly. The current black chrome is from, at best, an obsolete chrome process; it wears longer but is dull.

Many years ago I built a motorcycle that used great, brilliant, lusterous black chrome for parts other than exhaust. We all understand how much exposure motorcycles get. My black chrome never wore or chipped in over 25 years on the road. Leica should do as well.

Ok, got you. Then this was a misunderstanding. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ll give you $500 for the M4 black paint.

How generous! That's close to what I paid for it.

Let me do an inflation calculation from 1970. :)

OMG! Inflation only brings my original payment of $400 to  $2,600 today.

No deal! There is no metric for rarity, is there?

Are you sure you would not prefer the black M2 button rewind? :)

Edited by pico

• 3 weeks later...

M9P - Black

MM - Black

M240  - Black

M246 - Black

Q - Black

M10 - Silver, didn't like the 'look' of black lenses on silver, but the body looks gorgeous

M10P - Black, but I regret every day that I didn't get it in silver, even though black lenses on black body look perfectly fine.

That said, I have a handful of chrome (original and reissue 28 Summarons, Canon 50/1.4, Canon 35/2.8, Nikkor 35/3.5) and black with chrome lenses (e.g. Canon 50/1.2, Thambar 90) which make me cringe a little from OCD every time I mount them on black bodies....

I keep telling myself to focus on the photography, but hey, OCD....

I heard that Leica uses the so called A+ quality sensors for their silver models whereas the lower quality sensors (called A and A-) are built into the black models. Leica uses no B+ or lower quality sensors. The source said that the difference from A+ to A is significant. As a matter of fact the difference between the silver and the black models is absolutely relevant in the everyday photography.

PS: I would like to see my news statement going all way around the world and being published in the New York Times tomorrow morning. Lets hope.

I find the above very difficult to believe.  :rolleyes: