Black or silver – and does it matter

marcg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just compared my silver Summilux 50 asph with the chrome M240 it is sitting on. I cannot see any mismatch...Otoh, the anodized black lenses certainly have a different finish from a black chrome body - or a black paint one,for that matter. Who cares?

I believe you can see quite clearly what I mean in this photo by magosak of his (her?) M10 + silver Noctilux in the "I love my M10" thread.

It's subtle but the lens is a warmer tone of silver while the silver on the body is quite cool. I much prefer the warmer silver and if the body looked like that (and matched the lens) I would probably pick it over black. But I prefer black over a cool silver.

Of course none of this really matters and black paint lenses or bodies don't necessarily match their black counterparts either, though the differences are less noticeable or bothersome to me.

I'm just not a fan of cold silver, but that lens looks really nice! I blame Apple for making me like warmer tones ever since they started selling "gold" products.

e6987a6b-39a4-466d-bb25-56495646ac64_zps

Edited by Simon

I am cynical enough to believe my own eyes. A photograph can be quite misleading. Catchword: metamerism. ;)

My M240/Summilux shows up just the other way around. In real life they match exactly.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

I am cynical enough to believe my own eyes. A photograph can be quite misleading. Catchword: metamerism. ;)

My M240/Summilux shows up just the other way around. In real life they match exactly.

attachicon.gifm240.jpg

Is that the ala carte edition jaap?

Looks astonishing! I love the special edition, u can hardly go wrong

Except the rubber whatever they call it... just doesn't mix it well imho

Instagram @jakontil

@jaapv - gorgeous a la carte camera!

My first Leica (M9) was black, and I taped over the red dot and logo.  I figured it might attract less attention than a spangly silver camera.  And it does blend in with dark jackets and tops nicely.

My second Leica (M7) was silver.  As much as I loved my black M9, there was something about a silver chrome version.

Now I'm looking at having my aging M9 turned into a M9-P, and I'm giving serious consideration to having it converted to silver chrome.  Shooting with my M7 has made me understand how much I love the look of a silver Leica.

If I were to buy a M10, it would be silver.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I believe you can see quite clearly what I mean in this photo by magosak of his (her?) M10 + silver Noctilux in the "I love my M10" thread.

It's subtle but the lens is a warmer tone of silver while the silver on the body is quite cool. I much prefer the warmer silver and if the body looked like that (and matched the lens) I would probably pick it over black. But I prefer black over a cool silver.

Of course none of this really matters and black paint lenses or bodies don't necessarily match their black counterparts either, though the differences are less noticeable or bothersome to me.

I'm just not a fan of cold silver, but that lens looks really nice! I blame Apple for making me like warmer tones ever since they started selling "gold" products.

The human eye renders differently than a lens. I don't notice the subtle difference in person. Silver on silver looks great. You can always nit pick imperfections. I think the yellow on the black leica lenses doesn't look as nice as say a Nikon yellow but that's just my eye. Silver takes better pictures than black tho and has the best glass in them.

silver

it makes people think, its an old camera.

and it matches with the silver lenses i already got from my ancestors.

the silver M10 is not as nice as the M2 used to be. thats for sure. but then again: those who thimnk its an old camera wont spot the diference and keep saying: "that is a nice old camera you got. my grandpa used to own one like these in the old days." and i think " im sure, he didnt." but i say: "oh really? may i take your picture?"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Someone raised the issue if the black dots from DAG ment for the M8 and M9 will also fit the M10. But I do not think that I saw any conclusion on this thorugh this tread?

Could be a small step towards some ¨stealt¨ for a chrome lover after all ;-)

PS: that being said, the more shiny chrome of my 99 M6 TTL looks substantially cooler than my new and more matte chrome M10 I must admit

The M8/9 black dot from DAG on my M10. It's a perfect fit and very easy to swap over. I also tried a 'silver' dot (a red one stripped down to the metal) but it looked nothing like as good as the black as the 'silver' isn't the same as on the camera.

My previous Ms were the dot-less 'P' versions, M9P and (briefly) M-P 240 and I really dislike that splash of red from the standard dot - a disfigurement of a beautiful camera. No dot at all is of course much better - why should we pay to do someone's advertising for them?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

I have the black M10 while all my previous M s M 8, M9P , m240 were silver chrome. I like this black m10 because I can tape over the logo with black tape and hopefully it will brass nicely in the future .. More over, there are no other inscription of any kind on the top of the top plate .Very stealthy and understating.

Howcome nobody sells any plain logo less black or silver logo button.

I feel great when people off the street came over and ask me whether it's the Fuji xpro1 / pro2 . Usually I just smiled , nodded and made them go away happy .

No dot at all is of course much better - why should we pay to do someone's advertising for them?

2017-07-1001078.jpg

No advertising, fewer sales, bad for business and bad for customers who would rather have a red dot than no Leica.

I don't begrudge them their little bit of "free" advertising. I just hope it's successful.

• Like 2

The M8/9 black dot from DAG on my M10. It's a perfect fit and very easy to swap over. I also tried a 'silver' dot (a red one stripped down to the metal) but it looked nothing like as good as the black as the 'silver' isn't the same as on the camera.

My previous Ms were the dot-less 'P' versions, M9P and (briefly) M-P 240 and I really dislike that splash of red from the standard dot - a disfigurement of a beautiful camera. No dot at all is of course much better - why should we pay to do someone's advertising for them?

attachicon.gif2017-07-1001078.jpg

Looks just great in my opinion! A very elegant compromize of all the opinions in here... ;-) Thanks!

PS: you say it is easy to change... what is the trick? Wabling the old one back & forth clockwise using your nails til it starts to losen? and then...?

Regards

Edited by Stein K S

Thanks!

It took about five minutes. Have the dot on the camera facing up, and horizontal; with something firm and pointed but not too sharp, unless you're going to discard the red dot, gently push horizontally in alternate directions against the raised lettering. I used an ivory paper knife. The movements will gradually become bigger and eventually you will be able to get under the dot and prise it off. The black dots from DAG have an adhesive backing; using tweezers or something similar, fingers are much too clumsy, carefully get the dot positioned precisely before engaging the adhesive, then just press down. Easy peasy. 

Good luck!

Christopher

Edited by Musotographer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Considering how bad the waiting list is in London -I added my name to the Leica Store Mayfair list at the beginning of February! -even though I've had four black Ms and I think I'd prefer black I told the store I'm not bothered about the colour. Whatever comes in so long as I can get one.

Considering how bad the waiting list is in London -I added my name to the Leica Store Mayfair list at the beginning of February! -even though I've had four black Ms and I think I'd prefer black I told the store I'm not bothered about the colour. Whatever comes in so long as I can get one.

Have you checked - I think you should have it by now from beginning of Feb. Good luck!

You'll be surprised how happy you'll be with silver.

• 4 months later...

Jchfriis said: Most Ferraris are red. Ferrari make some of the fastest cars. Red cars are faster than other colour cars.

I'm not sure that's correct. I think that's more a function of the power of the engine and the general quality of the engineering

I think it was meant to be a silogism... LOL!

Edited by Lucena