Black or silver – and does it matter

marcg

• 1 month later...

I think some M camera designs suit black or chrome more than others:

The M3 has a top plate which extends down to meet the lens, which means that in chrome the camera has a kind of T shape when viewed from the front.

In black this becomes more or less invisible and so I think this model looks far better in black.

Similarly the M7, MP and M-A all have a slightly raised base plate on the right hand side, this again is only really noticable in the silver version, which makes the black look better.

All the digital models have completely clean straight lines between the top and base plates, so I think those look good in silver.

The trends in Camera design/colour seem to change very slowly, if we look at the long term trends

very roughly

1940 - 1980 = Chrome cameras

1980 - 2010 = Black cameras

2010 - 2040? = Chrome cameras

An example of the sudden trendiness of chrome can be found in the release of the digital Olympus Pen in 2010, I think thats when the mainstream rediscovered that chrome could look good on a camera. (silver coloured plastic doesnt count)

also strongly related to the popularity of metallic looking iPhones.

Some people buy a chrome Leica for the 'old retro look' but i think once we have a few more years of chrome being trendy, that effect will disappear and the chrome M's will blend into the crowd much more.

So heres the dilemma - do you buy a chrome camera because it's right on trend now, and probably will be for quite a few years to come.

or do you get a black one knowing that in around 10 years time people will look and say "wow you have one of those really old black cameras"

Edited by Lanark

Silver or black?  It depends on the camera.

When I get my Monochrom 246, it will be black.  When I get my M10, I may go for a chrome one as I have never owned a chrome M camera so far.  I have a black M4-P and have always liked the look of the chrome M4-P so I will try to pick up one of those some day. 

This is a separate topic (and debate) but there is a lot of fretting going on these days over the red dot, thieves and stealthiness.  The red dot does not cause me to break out into hives, but I do prefer the look of the M cameras with the top plate engraving and no red dot.  The top plate engraving is just so beautiful and classic looking to my eye.

. . . . . Silver shoots better...

Right. That is why I choose silver. Further silver is more classic and on top of it it is more solid than black. 

As I understand by now: Asia goes mostly for silver; Europe goes mostly for black; US goes for Trump.

Right. That is why I choose silver. Further silver is more classic and on top of it it is more solid than black. 

As I understand by now: Asia goes mostly for silver; Europe goes mostly for black; US goes for Trump.

. . . and the UK goes for Brexit, and for that reason I decided to have one silver camera and one black camera. . .  especially as I live in the UK and one of my sons lives in Asia.

It's worth refining the image quality conundrum - the black camera produces better images in poor lighting, and the silver in good lighting (I think that Chris Tribble has also discovered this).  . . . (and Jennifer, the forthcoming M10 monochrom will only be available with an rgb coloured body)

Edited by jonoslack

Nowadays chrome is acceptable again, as it was seventy years back. If you seek advise in style matters, skip the Eighties 

Almost all my cameras since when I was 20 (so many years ago!) all my camera have been black, black and really black.

Not a specific rational reason it' only that I like them to be lack! So is my new M10 ! Maybe if one day there will be a Paul Smith Limited Edition 

robert

PS: one exception is the FM2 T which I bought almost new a few months ago...

Edited by robert blu

During the last 30/40 years "black" was the usual color for (D)SLRs and other cameras.

When I got my first Leica (M2) I thought that if, I would only buy a silver digital Leica.

For my taste a RF Leica has to be silver

Edited by cp995

During the last 30/40 years "black" was the usual color for (D)SLRs and other cameras.

When I got my first Leica (M2) I thought that if, I would only buy a silver digital Leica.

For my taste a RF Leica has to be silver

XT102695.jpg

@ cp995: For sure this is an elegant camera, great!

robert

Edited by robert blu

Black and Silver are both lovely.

I recently wanted a black M-P 240, but bought a Silver one...for no other reason than it was there, now.  And I thought at the time it'll work with a lot of my chrome and black lenses.

I have quite a number of black cameras, and quite a number of silver cameras.

There's not much difference in them anymore.  They still feel the exactly same, and operate exactly the same. All beautiful machines.

all best...

• 3 weeks later...

Serious add:

Silver lenses can be quite a bit heavier than their black counterparts... this does not count for the cameras just the lenses. 

The Summilux-M 1:1,4/50mm ASPH. in silver chrome is a lot heavier than the black version of the same lens 

You need a black one if you are a professional funeral photographer.

Actually that's a very good point.

The silver strap would be excellent for wedding photographers
Edited by marcg

You need a black one if you are a professional funeral photographer.

Are you referring to a black camera here, or a black strap?

Many people think that silver straps look brilliant with silver cameras