SD Card compatibility issue?

chris_tribble

I would like to know:

- are there similar discussions with problems of the same intensity with other camera models of other brands on the internet ?

- since has been advanced the hypothesis that Leica has more stringent regulations on cards, if other brands are more permissive then what problems do they have as a counterpart ? In a nutshell, what is the advantage of being so less tolerant about card specifications?

I would like to know:

- are there similar discussions with problems of the same intensity with other camera models of other brands on the internet ?

- since has been advanced the hypothesis that Leica has more stringent regulations on cards, if other brands are more permissive then what problems do they have as a counterpart ? In a nutshell, what is the advantage of being so less tolerant about card specifications?

As an electrical engineer and microprocessor designer, it sounds to me like what you cast as "stringent regulations" is more likely a failure to account for perfectly permissive variations in signal timings. And there would be no downside to doing so - every other major camera brand seems to do just fine.

• Like 4

http://bfy.tw/C3se

http://bfy.tw/C3sp

http://bfy.tw/C3t6

As an electrical engineer and microprocessor designer, it sounds to me like what you cast as "stringent regulations" is more likely a failure to account for perfectly permissive variations in signal timings. And there would be no downside to doing so - every other major camera brand seems to do just fine.

It is a bit of an Internet myth that Leica is the only brand with these problems...
It may be that Leica is more affected, or maybe the Leica customer base is more demanding/vocal, but SD card problems can be found across all brands.

http://bfy.tw/C3se

http://bfy.tw/C3sp

http://bfy.tw/C3t6

It is a bit of an Internet myth that Leica is the only brand with these problems...

It may be that Leica is more affected, or maybe the Leica customer base is more demanding/vocal, but SD card problems can be found across all brands.

Nice try, but...

The very first link I followed the resolution to a Nikon SD card error was this: "i blew it with bicycle pump and problem is solved! thank you guys"

As I have said, all the "bad" cards I have work in every other device that I try them with. 

• Like 1

You can google anything and get results. But did you actually review these? They amount to nothing. Compare that to the well-known issues with the early M9 and the current M10 issues.

The links you provided amount to one-off problems or advice on how to care for sd cards, and do not indicate any systematic problems.

• Like 1

For the last 10 years, there have been many recommendations to format all SD cards prior to initial use with SD Formatter without fail. Don't just do a quick format but a full over-write. This ensures that the format is correct for the card all the way through and recovers space which may be occupied by various proprietary rubbish that card manufacturers tend to dump onto their cards. As others have said, the correct format for SDXC cards is ex-FAT. 

Wilson

For the last 10 years, there have been many recommendations to format all SD cards prior to initial use with SD Formatter without fail. Don't just do a quick format but a full over-write. This ensures that the format is correct for the card all the way through and recovers space which may be occupied by various proprietary rubbish that card manufacturers tend to dump onto their cards. As others have said, the correct format for SDXC cards is ex-FAT. 

Wilson

I wish it were so simple

Again, this isn't an issue of user error, improper format, or card malfunction. 

The worst part of this problem is that the card will function nominally until it doesn't. There is no way to tell if a working card will keep working. 

There are about -how many? a dozen, maybe two? - users with card problems on this forum. There have been thousands of M10s sold. If I had a camera that caused such problems, it would be at customer service in Wetzlar, complete with malfunctioning cards, with daily telephone calls from my side. I doubt whether angry posts would make it function better...

It looks like this fault is camera and card specific. That makes the chance of solving it in a general manner  less likely.

I've found that my Sandisk Extreme PRO SDXC 1 64GB cards work flawlessly, but the 128GB versions of that card do not.

No worries for me, I just use those cards in my E-M1.2, where they work just fine. But it is sort of ridiculous that Leica's brand new camera cannot work with memory cards several years old. Not sure how that happens with a company that talks about quality as Leica does.

Edited by hteasley
  • Like 1

I had a problem with all the Lexar Professional SDXC 1000X UHS II cards on my SL both 64 and 128GB. I had bought quite a few of these, as Amazon were doing a special offer, that meant they were about half the price of the equivalent SanDisk, which is what I normally use. I traced the problem to very slack write lock sliders on these cards. Lexar replaced them but the replacements were exactly the same. The slider would slide to a half-way position on inserting into the camera, which then produced erratic results. I have cured it very simply by a dot of superglue on the slider and then holding a slightly damp cloth against the switch (water catalyses the cyanoacrylate polymerisation and setting). Had no trouble since. 

Wilson

It could even be a batch of dodgy card readers... Those are penny parts.

I rather think not. My M240 had real SD card sensitivity as well.

I don't get cheap cards, and I don't get the most bleeding edge, highest-capacity cards or the newest card type, explicitly to both avoid compatibility problems, and to not pay an excessive cost premium on the latest thing. And of the Ms I've had, I've had an issue with kinds of SD cards (kinds, not single cards).

I guess I am irked that my very first photo with my new M10, on a card I had just formatted in the camera, was unreadable. I was optimistic enough to bring a 128GB card with me when I picked it up.

My brother had problems with that same card (SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC 64 GB) from his M240. Based on this thread I suggested he try a new Lexar Profesional SDHC 32 GB card instead, which he says works ok so far. He has the Visoflex EVF.

Many people here are reporting problematic SanDisk cards, but that may just be because it's more common among users. Other brands are seemingly affected also. The pattern (or rather lack thereof) is strange indeed. I note that his Lexar card has not been touched (tainted?) by any other camera, since he sold his M240 to upgrade. Is that a possible common thread here?

I suspect the bugs are widespread at present but no doubt Leica are onto it. I'm sure it'll get sorted and it's premature to send your camera back to Wetzlar. Of course, if you're not happy I'm sure your dealer (and Leica) will understand.

But personally, some teething problems (even though they shouldn't be necessary) will be worth enduring. Everything else about this camera is first class and from what I've seen from the new sensor it's a winner.

I think that some users are choosing high-capacity cards because they believe they will have fast transfer speeds, or they will not have to change cards for a month or two of hyper-exposing. Such is an unfortunate expectation.

Sorry, but transfer speeds from the camera's buffer is not determined by the card's advertised speed (which, by the way, is the manufacturer's claim and not certified).  It is determined by the camera's firmware, and our Leicas are not speedy.

Lower expectations and be happy.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

I rather think not. My M240 had real SD card sensitivity as well.

I don't get cheap cards, and I don't get the most bleeding edge, highest-capacity cards or the newest card type, explicitly to both avoid compatibility problems, and to not pay an excessive cost premium on the latest thing. And of the Ms I've had, I've had an issue with kinds of SD cards (kinds, not single cards).

I guess I am irked that my very first photo with my new M10, on a card I had just formatted in the camera, was unreadable. I was optimistic enough to bring a 128GB card with me when I picked it up.

Indeed, and it was not the only one. Mine is totally stable, whichever card I throw at it. I have no explanation. BTW, what is the use of a 128 GB card? Thousands of images on one card. And then the dog chews it... :rolleyes:

Indeed, and it was not the only one. Mine is totally stable, whichever card I throw at it. I have no explanation. BTW, what is the use of a 128 GB card? Thousands of images on one card. And then the dog chews it... :rolleyes:

128GB cards are highly appropriate if you shoot video at all. It was what I had on hand.

I love Leica, but a defense of "your card is too big" is, in a word, awful.

• Like 1