SD Card compatibility issue?

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have to make a correction to what I have written before ... after about 50 photos also the SanDisk Ultra SDHC, 80 Gb/s, 32Gb has begun to fail (the SanDisk Extreme SDHC, 90 Mb/s, 32 Gb did't work from the beginning) and I have lost a dozen of photos (not written on the card, just appears the number). Beautiful or disgusting that they were this leaves me very puzzled, if I want to be soft ...

I'm not talking about exotic cards made in bamboo cut off on full moon nights but about two models of one of the best-known brands that do not work with my M10.

I have read justifications and invitation to constructive criticism, but after this I do not know what to think... (again if I want to be soft)

I have the same problem with Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/s 32 GB :(

I have noticed that the damage to the image file may occur during recording when the LED blinks a few seconds instead of a fraction of a second.

Edited by olgierdc
  • Like 1

I am facing similar but maybe even more weird problems with my new M10: I have been using two identical Transcend SD XC I 64 GB cards in my previous Leica M-P, for 1.5 years now without any problems.

In the past two days I had two lockups, one with each card. Both cards were still readable on my computer and all data was there but the M10 firmly stated that no card was inserted while the cards _were_ inserted. Strangely it was possible to reformat the first card from within the M10 and for now it seems to be working again.

For the second card this failed. Trying to format it delivers no message at all, pressing the "Play" button just stated "No card inserted".

This is really annoying for a camera in this price range... especially as SD cards seem to be pretty much standardized these days...

FYI

I used Win 10 to reformat (exFAT) my Kingston 128gb SDXC Class 10 and took the battery out of the camera for more than an hour.

Now the card seems to be working. I don't trust it, but it seems to be OK after 100 shots or so.

NB: I also rubbed my head and patted my tummy for the entire time the card was reformatting. 

You can  mail :

software-support<at>leica-camera.com

or:

info<at>leica-camera.com

But rest assured that Leica reads this forum and is well aware of the problems.

I am facing similar but maybe even more weird problems with my new M10: I have been using two identical Transcend SD XC I 64 GB cards in my previous Leica M-P, for 1.5 years now without any problems.

In the past two days I had two lockups, one with each card. Both cards were still readable on my computer and all data was there but the M10 firmly stated that no card was inserted while the cards _were_ inserted. Strangely it was possible to reformat the first card from within the M10 and for now it seems to be working again.

For the second card this failed. Trying to format it delivers no message at all, pressing the "Play" button just stated "No card inserted".

This is really annoying for a camera in this price range... especially as SD cards seem to be pretty much standardized these days...

Highly recommend you use a new, unused card in your M10.

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Jager

Highly reommended you use a new card for any new camera, or at the very least one that went through a computer reformat and a reformat in the new camera.

Until now I have no problem with the card I bought in Wetzlar with the camera, Sand Disk Extreme Pro  SDHC 95 MB/s class 10 16GB ( I like small cards!).

Planing to buy some more: do you suggest to format in SDFormatter the new card as well before inserting in the camera or just format in the camera the first time?

Thanks for suggestions, robert

Until now I have no problem with the card I bought in Wetzlar with the camera, Sand Disk Extreme Pro  SDHC 95 MB/s class 10 16GB ( I like small cards!).

Planing to buy some more: do you suggest to format in SDFormatter the new card as well before inserting in the camera or just format in the camera the first time?

SDFormatter use only FAT32 as a file system. Using OSX or Windows you can choose file format: FAT32 or exFAT. Formatting in camera you can not change file system in card, so you erase only file headers.

You can format in computer, next in camera. But camera always overwrite the name of the SDCard to "Leica M". I see no difference when I am using SDCard formatted either by computer or camera.

An incompatible card will behave badly regardless of the format. I have such experiences.

Edited by olgierdc

It is not  needed for a new card; I tend to format them in the camera before first use, but even that is probably superfluous.

SDFormatter use only FAT32 as a file system. Using OSX or Windows you can choose file format: FAT32 or exFAT. Formatting in camera you can not change file system in card, so you erase only file headers.

You can format in computer, next in camera. But camera always overwrite the name of the SDCard to "Leica M". I see no difference when I am using SDCard formatted either by computer or camera.

An incompatible card will behave badly regardless of the format. I have such experiences.

Incorrect.

SDXC  over 32 GB can only be formatted in exFAT.

SDHC uses FAT32, but can be formatted to exFAT in the computer.

SD will use FAT (up to 2 GB)

• Like 1

Incorrect.

SDXC  over 32 GB can only be formatted in exFAT.

SDHC uses FAT32, but can be formatted to exFAT in the computer.

SD will use FAT (up to 2 GB)

My first sentence is indeed incorrect. Of course, depending on the type of card (capacity), we will be able to use the appropriate file system types as you mentioned. The context of my few sentences was as follows (according to my experience): Regardless of the used method of formatting (computer, camera), specific SDCards work badly.

Indeed they do; that indicates a variabilty between SD cards that should not exist in a properly standarized system. So the problem can only be solved by Leica widening their tolerances (something that runs contrary to their nature, their knee-jerk reaction might well be FML ;)) to accept deviations from the cards.

I discovered with the M240 that the default SD format was exFAT. I figured it out by simply formatting a 32g card as exFAT and the startup time was halved. I reformatted it back to FAT32 and the card performed back to its slower speed. 32g cards by default are factory formatted as FAT32. I would be very surprised if Leica would change its philosophy on this subject.

32g SDHC cards are borderline technology. Hi speed using older chips designs. I'm not at all surprised that most of the comments here are about 32g cards. I have switched to slower 128g cards and have had no issues.

• Like 1

I can understand, although not satisfied with the situation, in case ALL the M10 were good with the same kind of cards and not good with other but what I do not understand is because a same type of card works on some camera and not with other. For example, the SanDisk Ultra SDHC, 80 Gb / s, which does not work on mine, goes well on the Leica store demo M10.

Edited by Al_OOF
  • Like 1

I discovered with the M240 that the default SD format was exFAT. I figured it out by simply formatting a 32g card as exFAT and the startup time was halved. I reformatted it back to FAT32 and the card performed back to its slower speed. 32g cards by default are factory formatted as FAT32. I would be very surprised if Leica would change its philosophy on this subject.

32g SDHC cards are borderline technology. Hi speed using older chips designs. I'm not at all surprised that most of the comments here are about 32g cards. I have switched to slower 128g cards and have had no issues.

indeed, I have problem only with 32GB card.

I can understand idiosyncrasies between the M10 and some of the cards, Jager in the useful post 80 gave us interesting explanation why things are not so easy as they seem. I understand it.

What surprise me or at least I find more difficult to understand is that reading through this thread it seems that there are cards working for some users and giving problems to others.

Could it depend on the way to use the camera like more or less chimping, erasing files in camera, single shooting or sequence...?

Example:

post49 :

I used the following cards successfully:

Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro SD HC I 95mb/s

Post 62:

SandDisk Extreme Pro (SDHC) 32GB 95 mb/s. Crashes, slow reading, no image in LCD. Last FW update.

Just curious and trying to learn something!

robert

PS: love my M10 anyway !

Edited by robert blu

I can understand idiosyncrasies between the M10 and some of the cards, Jager in the useful post 80 gave us interesting explanation why things are not so easy as they seem. I understand it.

What surprise me or at least I find more difficult to understand is that reading through this thread it seems that there are cards working for some users and giving problems to others.

Could it depend on the way to use the camera like more or less chimping, erasing files in camera, single shooting or sequence...?

Example:

post49 :

I used the following cards successfully:

Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro SD HC I 95mb/s

Post 62:

SandDisk Extreme Pro (SDHC) 32GB 95 mb/s. Crashes, slow reading, no image in LCD. Last FW update.

Just curious and trying to learn something!

robert

PS: love my M10 anyway !

At first my card Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro worked well. Problems started appearing after a certain time of use and taking a few hundred photos. And now it does not help formatting any method I would use.

• Like 1

&nbsp;

At first my card............]worked well. Problems started appearing after a certain time of use and taking a few hundred photos. And now it does not help formatting any method I would use.

&nbsp;

Same experience here with these SD Pro 32GB 95mb/s. Problems appeared after 2 weeks of use.

I never erase images in camera. There where new cards only used in my M10. I formated the cards in camera before using them. I always formate the cards in camera after downloading the images to the computer.

Please Leica, give us a list of usable cards.

Edited by Neko