Folks upgrading- how many will keep your M9s?

myk7000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to Irwin,  M 10 ia only COMPRESSED RAW OR JPEG.   NOT HAPPY.  Why must they always screw something up ???

M8 and M 9 remain mine.  Both have extremely low shutter counts.

Still have a mint M6 that I bought new, maybe 36 rolls so far.   Two Nikon F2`s, Nikkormat,  FT2 and a full Leica darkroom are still mine and all operate,  

Edited by tobey bilek
  • Like 1

According to Irwin,  M 10 ia only COMPRESSED RAW OR JPEG.   NOT HAPPY.  Why must they always screw something up ???

M8 and M 9 remain mine.  Both have extremely low shutter counts.

Still have a mint M6 that I bought new, maybe 36 rolls so far.   Two Nikon F2`s, Nikkormat,  FT2 and a full Leica darkroom are still mine and all operate,

It is claimed to be a lossless compression, unlike the M9. So there should be no difference at all. M240, you can compare uncompressed vs lossless compression, and every claims it's identical. M9 we must shoot uncompressed to get the best.

It was removed supposedly to allow 5FPS.

So this is not a real issue, unless somebody can prove the M240 uncompressed is better. Nobody has so far.

It is claimed to be a lossless compression, unlike the M9. So there should be no difference at all. M240, you can compare uncompressed vs lossless compression, and every claims it's identical. M9 we must shoot uncompressed to get the best.

It was removed supposedly to allow 5FPS.

So this is not a real issue, unless somebody can prove the M240 uncompressed is better. Nobody has so far.

I suppose its a software matter which I think can be addressed in future firmwares.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M9 would be a poor trade-in prospect (lot of baseplate paint wear, one small probable incipient sensor corrosion streak) - but a great backup body should the M10 ever need a trip to the shop. So I'll keep it for now.

Once I get the M10 in hand, I'll likely send the M9 in for a new sensor. After which, I may re-consider my options.

I've got an M9 that seems to have an obvious corrosion spot on the sensor. It's been getting steadily worse over the past 6 months or so.

Today I posted it to the Leica approved repair centre here in Australia (Camera Clinic in Melbourne).

I was keen to know what the upgrade options would be, especially now the M240 has been superseded by the M10.

Was rather disappointed to be told that Leica have now cancelled all upgrades for the corrosion issue.

They will replace the sensor, but will no longer offer any upgrades, citing the age of the M9 as the reason.

I was wondering if anyone else has been told the same in other territories?

Many thanks 

R

I got a Leica Q around a year ago and shortly afterwards I noticed sensor degradation on my M9 again. I was sending it in a second time and had to use the Q for most of early spring and summer. I really like the Q, easy to focus (auto or manual) and I really appreciate the precise framing which is more an estimate with the M. 

When I got the M9 back I made a few pictures to see is it works but since then I never used it again. So I think I should get out of the M-system completely in spite of the M10 which I think is the best designed M.

So I am contemplating what will replace the M9. May be RF should be considered in the same way as SLR a technology remnant of film days. Presently mirrorless cameras make more sense for me. The SL is too bulky for me and lacks lenses I am interested in. The Hasselblad X1D looks like a good design but I am not sure that it is prudent to invest is such system presently with uncertainty about the company and not even a clear statement to which lenses will be developed (similar to the SL).

I am very interested to get back to macro (I used a R6 and 100mm Elmarit for a long time) and I think that nowadays focus stacking is an essential feature of macro photography. I tried it with a M9 visioflex setup and  Sigma Merrill DP3 and is was a painful process. The higher end Olympus (and Panasonic) cameras have builtin focus bracketing and automatic focus stacking (limited to 8 exposures )but either way this process is very fast (< 1 sec). None of any other system has these options. So I guess I will get one of these MFT cameras even I would like the better DR of larger sensors.

In principal I like to change cameras (if they are not too bulky to carry) them instead of changing lenses (and cleaning sensors)

I've got an M9 that seems to have an obvious corrosion spot on the sensor. It's been getting steadily worse over the past 6 months or so.

Today I posted it to the Leica approved repair centre here in Australia (Camera Clinic in Melbourne).

I was keen to know what the upgrade options would be, especially now the M240 has been superseded by the M10.

Was rather disappointed to be told that Leica have now cancelled all upgrades for the corrosion issue.

They will replace the sensor, but will no longer offer any upgrades, citing the age of the M9 as the reason.

I was wondering if anyone else has been told the same in other territories?

Many thanks 

R

I took my M9-p in to Leica about a week ago to get the sensor replaced, and I wasn't offered an upgrade. I will keep the camera anyway (well, probably), but I am thinking about getting a MP240, or maybe, just maybe, an M10.

• Like 1

The M10 updates are interesting, and move M photography more towards the present day.  Improved processor, improved viewfinder, improved sensor, improved continuous shooting etc - all to the good.  However, I have always regarded my M9-P as having flaws, in the way that you have to accept them in order to appreciate the good points of the camera.  As a result one develops little strategems and techniques to get around them.  I'm used to this  and so that now the M10 has come along, can I really justify over £5,600 for these "improvements"? 

If money were no object then yes, it would be nice.  However, I'd rather spend that kind of money on travelling to somewhere in order to take photographs with my old out of date M9-P.

So on balance, I think not.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm off here but it seems to me that once someone has spent a lot of money on a Leica digital M they are far more reluctant to spend again after seeing the depreciation.

I bought my M9-P second hand and if I was in the market for a newer version, which I'm not, I'd always wait to find out a/ what flaws it has and b/ what depreciation there is.

It doesn't take long for low shutter count cameras to become available at 50% discount!

My M9 is in for sensor replacement, but has always been a champ and is brassing nicely. Love it and will keep it; it's an old, dear friend.

But I am anxiously awaiting my M10.  For the ISO, the quiet shutter, the LiveView, the new viewfinder, and the simple operation. This is the M I was hoping Leica would make.  And it will probably be my final camera.

Got My M9 in september 2009.

Probably one of the first which landed in France..

Still thrilled everytime I hold it even if it went twice in Germany for calibration of the telemeter. (came back few days ago with a full service and sensor change... I didn't ask anything about it)

I just love it more an more.

35 Asph, 75 cron asph and an Elmar 50 2.8 coded and this has been the end of GAS attacks in the field of photography.

I got rid of GAS in HIFI (cost me a kidney before it ended) and a lung for cars....

Will never sell my beloved M9.

• Like 1

I took my M9-p in to Leica about a week ago to get the sensor replaced, and I wasn't offered an upgrade.

What upgrade is possible for the M9 other than a sensor replacement? What exactly were you expecting?