Shutter stopped working on M9

antigallican

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone had this problem? it just came on suddenly. Everything else works just fine but when I press the shutter button nothing happens. I've tried battery out, reset, new full battery. Nothing. Im in Venice on holiday and my Leica has stopped. I'm deeply upset [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies all. I think I'm just going to have to send it in. My wife says 'why don't you just use your iphone?' I shown no signs of anguish, of course.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies all. I think I'm just going to have to send it in. My wife says 'why don't you just use your iphone?' I shown no signs of anguish, of course.

A similar feeling to when my wife said to me on Sunday morning, "why don't you just drink instant coffee?"

www.robertpoolephotography.com

Advertisement (gone after registration)

as mentioned above-- try a NEW SD card

same thing happened to me when i was in Hawaii 5-10 years ago and i was at a luau--ever since that night i have always carried a spare SD card when i go out with any camera

Edited by prk60091

I had my M9 shutter replaced after two incidents of that. The rep told me that they thought it was a humidity issue, but weren"t sure. The replacement shutter never had problems, so I'm suspecting just some shutters fail early.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

as mentioned above-- try a NEW SD card

same thing happened to me when i was in Hawaii 5-10 years ago and i was at a luau--ever since that night i have always carried a spare SD card when i go out with any camera

For sure you should try this first.

Well, I tried them all. Nothing worked, so I have packed it off on a little holiday to Wetzlar, feeling kind of tearful. I've discovered a very emotional relationship with this camera.

The fault meant I was forced to spend part of my week in Venice taking pictures with the iPhone. I know people want to know why we pay all that money for a Leica - but all I can say is look at my Flickr feed, where the divide - despite similar subject matter - is enormous. https://www.flickr.com/photos/shipaground/with/32443624511/

good luck and thanks for the support all

Well, I tried them all. Nothing worked, so I have packed it off on a little holiday to Wetzlar, feeling kind of tearful. I've discovered a very emotional relationship with this camera.

The fault meant I was forced to spend part of my week in Venice taking pictures with the iPhone. I know people want to know why we pay all that money for a Leica - but all I can say is look at my Flickr feed, where the divide - despite similar subject matter - is enormous. https://www.flickr.com/photos/shipaground/with/32443624511/

good luck and thanks for the support all

Thanks for sharing, I was there last summer. Brought back memories of trying to get a pram up and down all those stairs...

I hope your m9 returns home soon!

www.robertpoolephotography.com

• 2 weeks later...

Estimate for repair from Leica over 700 euros. Still for that they are going to throw in free rangefinder adjustment and new sensor - the camera's second new sensor. I'm not going to moan as I know Wetzlar sends them back in spiffing condition. Perhaps it's me... My see.sense bicycle light just stopped working too.

Ps Tapatalk's autocorrect doesn't like spiffing and tried to make it spitting. Apparently Her Majesty's English is second to Mr Trump's [emoji41]

I've discovered a very emotional relationship with this camera.

I just got my M9 back from its spa retreat in New Jersey, which took over two months. In its absence, I had been thinking of maybe selling it, but those thoughts went out the window when I held it in my hands again. I'm sure other cameras are great, perhaps better cameras, but they aren't this camera.

I also learned that they're still manufacturing the M8/M9/MM batteries. That combined with the fact that they're offering you a full overhaul for 700 euros -- not cheap, but it sounds like you functionally get a better-than-brand-new Leica for that -- makes me confident again in the long-term prospect of the M9. I'm almost giddy.

Hope yours comes back just as well as mine did, but perhaps a mite bit sooner.

Cheers,

Jon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my M9 back from its spa retreat in New Jersey, which took over two months. In its absence, I had been thinking of maybe selling it, but those thoughts went out the window when I held it in my hands again. I'm sure other cameras are great, perhaps better cameras, but they aren't this camera.

I also learned that they're still manufacturing the M8/M9/MM batteries. That combined with the fact that they're offering you a full overhaul for 700 euros -- not cheap, but it sounds like you functionally get a better-than-brand-new Leica for that -- makes me confident again in the long-term prospect of the M9. I'm almost giddy.

Hope yours comes back just as well as mine did, but perhaps a mite bit sooner.

Cheers,

Jon

interesting read, my M9-P is still working fine with 15k shutter clicks so far.

Estimate for repair from Leica over 700 euros. Still for that they are going to throw in free rangefinder adjustment and new sensor - the camera's second new sensor. I'm not going to moan as I know Wetzlar sends them back in spiffing condition. Perhaps it's me... My see.sense bicycle light just stopped working too.

Ps Tapatalk's autocorrect doesn't like spiffing and tried to make it spitting. Apparently Her Majesty's English is second to Mr Trump's [emoji41]

On the bright side, if the camera will be getting its second sensor then you will have confidence it will be the second generation one so won't corrode. :-). The longer it is away, the more you will enjoy getting it back!

• Like 2

On the bright side, if the camera will be getting its second sensor then you will have confidence it will be the second generation one so won't corrode. :-). The longer it is away, the more you will enjoy getting it back!

You have a very positive disposition which I will try to emulate!

• Like 1

A while ago I heard a line I've used for years: There are two types of convertible cars, those that leak and those that will leak. Similarly, all hard drives and shutters will fail if used long enough. Years ago the shutter on my Canon 1Ds2 failed during a paid photoshoot. This shutter was rated at 200,000 actuations and failed at less than 50,000. One of the best and most rugged cameras in the world failed at the worst possible time. Luckily I had my 1D2 as a back up and was able to finish the shoot. Redundancy matters.

• 4 weeks later...

Larry the Leica arrived home today, fit, bronzed and well fed. Seriously those gnomes in Wetzlar really know how to put a camera back into perfect condition. And I'm surprised how emotionally relieved I am to have it back, 700 euro-sovs poorer but [emoji4]

• Like 1